TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it’s a safe bet that they’re gonna keep this on VQ until Tiana opens. I’m also willing to bet that, just like what they pulled with MMRR’s opening at DL today, they will mostly likely grossly undersell VQs so most people wanting to ride will have to purchase LL to ride.

Screw Disney and their VQs man.

I think it’s a safe bet that they’re gonna keep this on VQ until Tiana opens. I’m also willing to bet that, just like what they pulled with MMRR’s opening at DL today, they will mostly likely grossly undersell VQs so most people wanting to ride will have to purchase LL to ride.

Screw Disney and their VQs man.
Rather that than be forced to stand in line for 3 hours IMO

Reactions: snayberry
I would happily have just jumped in a queue for Guardians rather than having to have gone through the rigmarole of making sure I got up early enough to snag either the virtual queue or paid for the LL when I went last year

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Freak
At least with Stand-by you have the option to just hop in line if you want.

Yeah but why would anyone want to do that if it meant killing three to five hours of precious park time? At least Virtual Queue gives day trippers/tourists a chance to enjoy the new ride AND experience the rest of the park as opposed to eating up a whole day for one single attraction because they’re forced to stand behind insane vloggers and APs that’ll be back the next day anyway.

Reactions: RFRees
Yeah but why would anyone want to do that if it meant killing three to five hours of precious park time? At least Virtual Queue gives day trippers/tourists a chance to enjoy the new ride AND experience the rest of the park as opposed to eating up a whole day for one single attraction because they’re forced to stand behind insane vloggers and APs that’ll be back the next day anyway.
Except not everyone is guaranteed to ride the attraction with VQ whereas you were guaranteed a ride as long as you stood in line and waited. With VQ, spots will run out if you aren't quick enough.

Except not everyone is guaranteed to ride the attraction with VQ whereas you were guaranteed a ride as long as you stood in line and waited. With VQ, spots will run out if you aren't quick enough.
But genuine question…if a ride only has a capacity of 1,000 people per day, it’s going to get through 1,000 people regardless of if they waited in standby or virtual. You’ll lose some people who could get in line at park closing and wait past close, but you’ll also gain some additional people by preventing people from doubling up on rides. As long as the load platform for the Virtual Queue ride is constantly full, aren't the same number of people getting to ride throughout the day as if it was a standby line?

But genuine question…if a ride only has a capacity of 1,000 people per day, it’s going to get through 1,000 people regardless of if they waited in standby or virtual. You’ll lose some people who could get in line at park closing and wait past close, but you’ll also gain some additional people by preventing people from doubling up on rides. As long as the load platform for the Virtual Queue ride is constantly full, aren't the same number of people getting to ride throughout the day as if it was a standby line?
Here's the difference.

With VQ, the cut the number off low to protect themselves from breakdowns and then they also cut the number so that they won't be running the ride too late. With stand-by, as long as you were in line before park close, you were in line and that was your spot. The ride could still break down and in that case be forced to leave, but my point is, overall just more people had an opportunity to ride per day with stand-by rather than VQ as VQ is limiting. The reason VQ is even in place is for crowd control. If Splash Mountain had a VQ on it's last day of operation, those 4 hour lines wouldn't have been possible because Disney wouldn't have let it happen.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Freak
Here's the difference.

With VQ, the cut the number off low to protect themselves from breakdowns and then they also cut the number so that they won't be running the ride too late. With stand-by, as long as you were in line before park close, you were in line and that was your spot. The ride could still break down and in that case be forced to leave, but my point is, overall just more people had an opportunity to ride per day with stand-by rather than VQ as VQ is limiting. The reason VQ is even in place is for crowd control. If Splash Mountain had a VQ on it's last day of operation, those 4 hour lines wouldn't have been possible because Disney wouldn't have let it happen.
I addressed that, though. The amount of people in line after park close amounts to what, a few hundred extra? In a park of 45,000 that’s not terribly significant. And again, I’d imagine at least a small part of that is addressed by limiting repeat rides.

As to Splash Mountain…no, there wouldn’t have been four hour lines. But Splash Mountain is loading (hypothetical number) 100 guests per hour regardless of whether the line starts 4 hours away or 15 minutes away. In that hour, 100 guests are getting on regardless.

Limiting for breakdowns is only a good thing IMO. You’re actively protecting peoples time. If Disney overestimates downtime, that’s what the fringe boarding groups are for (the ones that aren’t guaranteed to get on). No different in principle than when a standby ride breaks down, except you haven’t wasted anyone’s park time with the Virtual.

I addressed that, though. The amount of people in line after park close amounts to what, a few hundred extra? In a park of 45,000 that’s not terribly significant. And again, I’d imagine at least a small part of that is addressed by limiting repeat rides.

As to Splash Mountain…no, there wouldn’t have been four hour lines. But Splash Mountain is loading (hypothetical number) 100 guests per hour regardless of whether the line starts 4 hours away or 15 minutes away. In that hour, 100 guests are getting on regardless.

Limiting for breakdowns is only a good thing IMO. You’re actively protecting peoples time. If Disney overestimates downtime, that’s what the fringe boarding groups are for (the ones that aren’t guaranteed to get on). No different in principle than when a standby ride breaks down, except you haven’t wasted anyone’s park time with the Virtual.
I'm not saying VQ is inherently bad. I do enjoy grabbing a VQ for GotG sometimes and doing other rides to kill the time instead of standing in line. I'm saying that it's bad to not give people the option to stand in line if they want to.

I think the real problem here is lightning lane. It's tacked on there so those who weren't quick enough to grab a VQ and want to ride have no other choice but to pay extra. I think, at least in the beginning with the large crowds, having the VQ enter in the Lightning Lane queue (since it's a reserved time system its essentially unpaid LL) would be better because you could then still have a traditional stand-by queue.

I get your points on ride capacity and only so many are going to get on a ride in a given hour anyway, but my point on VQ is it just takes spontaneity out of things. Sometimes I just want to ride a certain ride and i'm willing to wait a decent amount of time and VQ takes that away from me.

I'm not saying VQ is inherently bad. I do enjoy grabbing a VQ for GotG sometimes and doing other rides to kill the time instead of standing in line. I'm saying that it's bad to not give people the option to stand in line if they want to.

I think the real problem here is lightning lane. It's tacked on there so those who weren't quick enough to grab a VQ and want to ride have no other choice but to pay extra. I think, at least in the beginning with the large crowds, having the VQ enter in the Lightning Lane queue (since it's a reserved time system its essentially unpaid LL) would be better because you could then still have a traditional stand-by queue.

I get your points on ride capacity and only so many are going to get on a ride in a given hour anyway, but my point on VQ is it just takes spontaneity out of things. Sometimes I just want to ride a certain ride and i'm willing to wait a decent amount of time and VQ takes that away from me.
That’s fair. Me personally, give me the option to pay every time. The only thing I don’t like about Tron having VQ is that it means there’s a possibility they take it away from me on Guardians lol

That’s fair. Me personally, give me the option to pay every time. The only thing I don’t like about Tron having VQ is that it means there’s a possibility they take it away from me on Guardians lol
I'm looking forward to the day it's removed from Guardians. It doesn't need it anymore. The coaster chews people up and I honestly think wait times wouldn't even be that bad.

The problem with VQ, is that if there's a lot of breakdowns, which new rides are apt to do, you may never get on, and just wasted your day at the park waiting for a ride that never came. That happened to me with RotR. Bought a ticket to
DHS basically just to get a slot for RotR. We actually got a decent number, but the ride broke down so much that day that we never got on. We must have checked the phone many dozens of times. It was stressful trying to anticipate what was going to happen. Ended up at the park for something like 13 or 14 hours, counting the time waiting to get in. Usually, I don't spend more than 7 or 8 hours in a park since I'd rather have some resort relaxation time. I can confidently say that the day
was the worst day I've ever spent in a theme park. No fun day, and too stressful. Needless to say, I absolutely hate VQ, and whomever originated the idea should be assigned a VQ when it's his time to try to enter the Pearly Gates :enrage::grin:

The problem with VQ, is that if there's a lot of breakdowns, which new rides are apt to do, you may never get on, and just wasted your day at the park waiting for a ride that never came. That happened to me with RotR. Bought a ticket to
DHS basically just to get a slot for RotR. We actually got a decent number, but the ride broke down so much that day that we never got on. We must have checked the phone many dozens of times. It was stressful trying to anticipate what was going to happen. Ended up at the park for something like 13 or 14 hours, counting the time waiting to get in. Usually, I don't spend more than 7 or 8 hours in a park since I'd rather have some resort relaxation time. I can confidently say that the day
was the worst day I've ever spent in a theme park. No fun day, and too stressful. Needless to say, I absolutely hate VQ, and whomever originated the idea should be assigned a VQ when it's his time to try to enter the Pearly Gates :enrage::grin:

But how is this any different from waiting in a line for a ride that breaks down? You’re still waiting all day. At least in your ROTR example, you weren’t stuck in a building making the choice between standing stuck in one spot through the breakdown or giving up ALL the time you had just spent waiting; instead, you got other rides and shows to do while being equally productive.

The opportunity costs are soooo much lower with Virtual Queue.

Reactions: RFRees and UNIrd
Yeah, I think some of you are unintentionally making a case for Virtual Queue. :lol: The only time it does suck is when you can't get a spot at all and you don't have the option to wait the 4-6-8 hours (but why would you ever want to?).

Yeah, I think some of you are unintentionally making a case for Virtual Queue. :lol: The only time it does suck is when you can't get a spot at all and you don't have the option to wait the 4-6-8 hours (but why would you ever want to?).
The only reason it makes sense for VQ imo if it's an extremely in-demand ride like RotR or if it's the first few weeks of operation. After that, the highest wait a ride is likely ever going to see during "regular" times (non July 4th/Christmas Holiday) is 2 hours or so.

As for why you would wait that long (and this relates most specifically to those who are just coming for a day) - If you are the kind of person just coming for the day, you may not have a good grasp on how to use the app or what the virtual queue even is in which case you've already lost that battle. So then you think there's still an option to purchase a lightning lane - except if you aren't too familiar with the app, you probably aren't going to get a LL for the ride either as LL's for new rides tend to sell out quickly.

So someone who came to the park because they saw a commercial for the new TRON coaster and thought it looked cool bought a day ticket, couldn't get a VQ or a LL and is completely shutout from the ride which was the sole purpose they came to the park anyway. I've waited in stupid long waits on opening day for rides and been totally satisfied. It stinks that you seem to need to have a major in how to tour Walt Disney World in order to actually enjoy yourself.

But how is this any different from waiting in a line for a ride that breaks down? You’re still waiting all day. At least in your ROTR example, you weren’t stuck in a building making the choice between standing stuck in one spot through the breakdown or giving up ALL the time you had just spent waiting; instead, you got other rides and shows to do while being equally productive.

The opportunity costs are soooo much lower with Virtual Queue.
One time only in a standby, and if it breaks down I'm not going back. And I'm not spending 13 hours there. THE VQ held us captive all day and never delivered.and....VQ kind of rewards the locals who get lots of repeat rides, but
the vacationers get screwed, especially the older ones that didn't grow up with an IPhone in the womb.

Last edited:
Reactions: imagin78 and SkiBum
One time only in a standby, and if it breaks down I'm not going back. And I'm not spending 13 hours there. THE VQ held us captive all day and never delivered.and....VQ kind of rewards the locals who get lots of repeat rides, but
the vacationers get screwed, especially the older ones that didn't grow up with an IPhone in the womb.

You don’t have to stay in the park man, lol…you can even leave and come back as you please!

I mean I am genuinely trying to understand the vitriol but all the arguments against it just keep coming up as pros to me :shrug:

Maybe Im just weird and we leave it at that