Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand? | Inside Universal Forums

Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
They still will not fully commit to this, but Zootopia and Moana seem to have been dropped for Encanto and Indy with Zootopia replacing It's Tough To Be A bug. I admit I like this a lot better than Moana and Zootopia as it looks like it fits DAK much better.
destination-d23-parks-panel-2023-1-17-1920x1080.jpg

I’m genuinely curious, why would they not actually commit to this? Even if they know it’s going to be like 2028 at the earliest you have to give something concrete beyond shows for fans to look forward to when a brand new theme park is opening its doors down the street…

They still cannot commit to things yet, lol. D23 Park Panels are test screenings, lol.
tbf, using the last D23 as a "test screening" to gauge response has imo given us something better here. This looks more Animal Kingdom and with the Tropical Americas theme it also feels more in theme with DAK so it's probably the best outcome we could hope for that since we know it's gonna be some mashup of IPs.

They clearly wanna use Zootopia, but I think using it in a lesser way like as a B-ticket replacing ITTBAB is also pretty much the best that those of us who believe Zootopia belongs nowhere near DAK could've hoped for short of it just not going to the park. I also think the Villains land at MK is far more likely to happen since they saw how positive the response was for that and with Encanto coming here, it wouldn't be going "beyond big thunder"... would it?

I'd think if anything it's more likely Moana will get the short end of the stick and instead of it's own ride it's probably destined to replace Nemo someday (or have a ride built on the expansion plot between Land and Seas).

I really like this, and I feel Encanto has to be an E ticket also. 2 E tickets in this area, along with it naturally being new lands, would be a game changer for AK.

Reactions: snayberry
It's gonna be so weird to not have to go to Disneyland to ride Forbidden Eye. That replacing Dinosaur imo is something on it's own that will get me into DAK way more. I also kinda feel like since it's a ride that's already built, that could open in mid-late 2027 if they started work early next year, and then Encanto be an addition for another year.

But this is all based on if they were to shut down Dinosaur in like January 2024 and how are they supposed to do that if they are non-committal? Granted, I think this is a far more serious proposal than the Moana/Zootopia thing so that's why I just don't get why they won't commit. Could be a money thing with the company stock doing poorly so they want to make sure they don't spit out crap and waste money I guess?

Considerations aside, this artwork is actually a lot more concrete and well put together as opposed to the original Moana/Zootopia artwork. And dare I say...this actually makes a lot more sense? Just not for the reasons people assume off the bat?

Disneys Animal Kingdom for years has consisted of the multiple lands with a focus to that of specific countries (Excluding Pandora); but the one country that has been missing of a proper area of presence...is South America. Sure, we've had UP characters and the bird show; but never a full section of the park dedicated to that of animals and cultures from South America.

Do I think something animal related in exhibits will be present here? I hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they focus on IP's first and animals second. But with the IP's being represented, they make sense on a pure budgetary reasoning.

Indiana Jones if they do things right should be a relatively cheap retheming and refresh of Dinosaur; with a theme that is evergreenish and concepts that could be easy to repurpose. Especially if they can screw around with infastructure. South America also feels easy to replicate and achieve; especially if they go at it in a similar way to the Africa refresh.

As for Encanto? well Lin's rule is law and I think Disney wants that Encanto 2 money. I can easily see Lin having a heavy role in activity and involvement to make sure this happens; because if it doesn't, then Encanto 2 doesn't happen with him.

I have to say the Moana idea was better that IP definitely fits Animal Kingdom more than Encantocand Indiana Jones does but at least it's not a zootopia land. Also weird to do a SA land while skipping over the most fitting IP for AK in Up

Reactions: UNIrd
Considerations aside, this artwork is actually a lot more concrete and well put together as opposed to the original Moana/Zootopia artwork. And dare I say...this actually makes a lot more sense? Just not for the reasons people assume off the bat?

Disneys Animal Kingdom for years has consisted of the multiple lands with a focus to that of specific countries (Excluding Pandora); but the one country that has been missing of a proper area of presence...is South America. Sure, we've had UP characters and the bird show; but never a full section of the park dedicated to that of animals and cultures from South America.

Do I think something animal related in exhibits will be present here? I hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they focus on IP's first and animals second. But with the IP's being represented, they make sense on a pure budgetary reasoning.

Indiana Jones if they do things right should be a relatively cheap retheming and refresh of Dinosaur; with a theme that is evergreenish and concepts that could be easy to repurpose. Especially if they can screw around with infastructure. South America also feels easy to replicate and achieve; especially if they go at it in a similar way to the Africa refresh.

As for Encanto? well Lin's rule is law and I think Disney wants that Encanto 2 money. I can easily see Lin having a heavy role in activity and involvement to make sure this happens; because if it doesn't, then Encanto 2 doesn't happen with him.
Yeah, I think they are definitely a lot more concrete in their planning for this area now, which is why I don't get why they just didn't announce it as a thing that's happening and get going.

Also, there's gotta be snakes in the Indy section.... right?

Yeah, I think they are definitely a lot more concrete in their planning for this area now, which is why I don't get why they just didn't announce it as a thing that's happening and get going.

Could be that they are waiting on the final pieces to click together (like say, how this connects to the park with animal exhibits and habitats) before the big proper confirmation and kickstart of this at D23.

This feels more real than the previous. By a long mile. And I think 2026 for atleast Indiana Jones and the area refresh is not unrealistic for the sake of a major retheme.

I have to say the Moana idea was better that IP definitely fits Animal Kingdom more than Encantocand Indiana Jones does but at least it's not a zootopia land. Also weird to do a SA land while skipping over the most fitting IP for AK in Up
Tropical Americas fits DAK better than anything so imo Indy and Encanto is the better idea. With Moana they could've went the Oceania route, but that would've still left Zootopia out of the overarching theme, proving again how it doesn't fit.

This feels more real than the previous. By a long mile. And I think 2026 for atleast Indiana Jones and the area refresh is not unrealistic for the sake of a major retheme.
I agree that it definitely feels like this is the plan now whereas before it was sort of just a placeholder, but without knowing when they will start a change from Dino to Indy, i'd be unwilling to say even late 2026 - I do not think that will happen tbh. Especially because the facade work for Indy looks extensive.

Moana, focusing on the ocean, and Zootopia, set within a bustling city, did feel like 2 different animals. I think Encanto and Indy do fit nicely next to each-other setting wise.

Reactions: Nick
South America is not a country. And did you just completely forget about Australia?