Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand? | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My sources are never 100%, but I still get the vibe they’ve had about 30 different ideas for this area and genuinely can’t decide. I was pretty sure this would be Zootopia a year ago as I heard it’s definitely going to AK. Now that seems to be going to the Tree Of Life. Indy was then taking over potentially and now they’re re-thinking?

Problem is here they seem totally unwilling to gut the building. If they did that I wonder if they could get more creative with this space and other IP’s.
That’s kind of the way things go - there are areas that everyone knows needs something… Hollywoodland at DCA, Imagination at Epcot, Animation Courtyard… but it’s easier to just debate it for years than put pen to paper.

If Indy doesn’t happen, I’m guessing a primary culprit would be that someone got the estimate from WDI for the conversion and nearly fell out of his/her chair. There’s never been an official-ish $$$ on Tiana but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s $200M - probably after WDI was given 50 and kept coming back asking for more.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I guess it would be a funny and kinda Pyrrhic victory if Dinosaur stays simply because WDI can't budget their projects correctly and take too long for even the simplest of projects.

I'm totally okay with Dino-Rama going away for a more beautified Encanto area with a Butterfly/Bug exhibit and some Central/South American animals. An Encanto ride would give younger kids something fun to do in the park. Just leave my sweet girl Carny be. pls :heart:

Reactions: SkiBum
This is why I don't think Indiana Jones will ever replace Dinosaur, not saying it still won't be rethemed or replaced I just don't think it will be Indy related. Absolutely hilarious that the movie bombed THAT hard. I would feel bad but the movie was awful so, just gotta laugh. Lol

Reactions: mccgavin
This is why I don't think Indiana Jones will ever replace Dinosaur, not saying it still won't be rethemed or replaced I just don't think it will be Indy related. Absolutely hilarious that the movie bombed THAT hard. I would feel bad but the movie was awful so, just gotta laugh. Lol

I mean, a great movie like MI: Dead Reckoning bombed even harder. Last summer was a TERRIBLE summer at the box office outside of Barbie and Oppenheimer.

A big reason some of these movies bombed so hard in part is because of how large the budgets got due to having to stop filming for COVID and then once resumed, multiple start and stops on production due to positive tests and also having to pay for the COVID protocols on set. It added a significant extra cost.

Another reason is many of the films that lost money last year were part of really old franchises that go back to Gen X and were made by boomers initially (Indiana Jones, Transformers, Mission Impossible, etc). A very large bloc of people that actually goes to see movies in theaters are 18-34 and that demo is more and more gravitating to different or at least more interesting things. You can't just do the same thing you've been doing for 30-40 years anymore. You have to find a new way to engage audiences with some of these dying franchises.

Having said all of that, Indy is still an iconic franchise that people know and love. One financial flop won't stop them from adding it to the parks.

If it was no longer marketable or profitable to do so, it wouldn't have even been in the blue sky last year, three months after the film had clearly bombed. They clearly still see value in this.

Another thing to keep in mind with Indy is Disney has already made multiple attractions of the IP, so the latest film being unable to recoup its massive budget isn't going to make them change their mind on making another. Especially when you consider that both EMV rides follow original stories and aren't explicitly based off any previous films, so the films regardless of quality or box office is pretty much moot.

The only time where I would agree that a films box office success matters in an attraction being made or not...is if it's the first possible attraction for said IP. (As well as the first film for the IP.) That's a factor why we didn't get the Atlantean Encounter overlay at Disneyland, Atlantis didn't make waves at the box office.

Another thing to keep in mind with Indy is Disney has already made multiple attractions of the IP, so the latest film being unable to recoup its massive budget isn't going to make them change their mind on making another. Especially when you consider that both EMV rides follow original stories and aren't explicitly based off any previous films, so the films regardless of quality or box office is pretty much moot.

The only time where I would agree that a films box office success matters in an attraction being made or not...is if it's the first possible attraction for said IP. (As well as the first film for the IP.) That's a factor why we didn't get the Atlantean Encounter overlay at Disneyland, Atlantis didn't make waves at the box office.
This feels like a reverse Avatar when Pandora was getting built. Avatar had made $2.8B or something but the narrative was all about "can you name a character?" or "Avatar has had no staying power"... And once they stepped foot in Pandora none of that talk mattered.

Now a franchise that mind you has never done huge numbers at the box office (it would've had to be the highest grossing Indy Film to be profitable) is suddenly being questioned. You all know who Dr. Indiana Jones is just like you all knew what a Na'vi and a Banshee looked like if you didn't remember Jake Sully's name. If TRON can get an attraction, I think they can figure out how to make Indiana Jones work.

Despite having a long-running stunt show at DHS, Indiana Jones kinda just feels like it'd fit into AK without questioning it. But that could just be snakes talking (or Indy 4's swinging monkeys)

Reactions: Grabnar
I mean, a great movie like MI: Dead Reckoning bombed even harder.
Difference being that at least Dead Reckoning is a good film lmao

If it was no longer marketable or profitable to do so, it wouldn't have even been in the blue sky last year, three months after the film had clearly bombed. They clearly still see value in this.
I just gave my opinion, not saying I'm 100% right or anything but in my opinion I just don't see it happening. I also don't want it to happen either but that's just my personal take. But I get what you guys are saying.

And just a reminder that even Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland was considered a risk because it was 6 years removed from its last sequel by the time it opened and therefore considered "irrelevant" in pop culture. But a great attraction is a great attraction.

Having an Indy ride isn't the problem. Replacing Dinosaur is the problem.

Now if they wanted to do something interesting, give us an Indy ride next to Everest & have it be the "Forbidden Temple of the Yeti". They could "borrow" the Shangri-La legend from Mummy 3 too (Universal won't notice... right!?).

I feel like Indiana Jones is a popular, multi-generational IP that is worthy of an attraction, but at this point in time, I don't see it having more or less of a draw than Dinosaur already has. It's one of my favorite films, but its main demographic is definitely an older crowd these days.

It's very clear that Disney primarily wants to push in mega-IPs that bring in significant merch revenue, and I don't think the company views Indy as such.

I feel like Indiana Jones is a popular, multi-generational IP that is worthy of an attraction, but at this point in time, I don't see it having more or less of a draw than Dinosaur already has. It's one of my favorite films, but its main demographic is definitely an older crowd these days.

It's very clear that Disney primarily wants to push in mega-IPs that bring in significant merch revenue, and I don't think the company views Indy as such.
Here's the thing: CTX/Dinosaur is pretty much 26 years old. It could be nearing it's end of life date anyway so doing a major refurbishment and retheme at the very least allows the refurbishment project to be greenlit because it can be promoted as a brand new ride with a new IP (and yes, I do think it would sell a bit more merch).

I'm still cranky they didn't have better dino merch for Dinoland. I've always wanted a Carnotaurus, BUT I absolutely HATE the crappy "foam"-style firm-plush they sell. Like give me a good quality JP style action figure (the Jurassic World ones suck due to poor color scheme/paint)

So all I have is this CTX "time rover" vehicle
1000010735.jpg