Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand? | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Guardians even serves less guests and a lot of people are now without a ride as they can't do the ride or get sick in it.

Energy Adventure had higher theoretical throughput... but it doesn't matter when 90% of the seats are empty lol

GOTG is pretty much running at their throughput goal each our.

Epcot is the only park in Orlando that actually benefits more by replacing attractions/spaces that are currently utilized. It has so many venues just sitting empty with rarely more than 15 guests (Pixar Film, Awesome Planet, Canada 360, China 360.

And yet! On an exceedingly long boring attraction like UoE, I remember vividly watching the kids in each car coming back to life once they saw the Sauropods over the trees. It's not a problem with dinosaurs, it's a problem with the cheap and mismanaged Dino-Rama. It'd be like replacing Space Mountain because Eisner ruined Rocket Rods.

Given that I've always felt Dinosaur is a pale imitation of Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, I for one welcome our new Intellectual Property Overlords.

Then let it be an awesome reason to go to DLR! But to remove Dinosaur, which is more thematically appropriate, incorporates animals you can't find anywhere else in WDW anymore, and is an original concept attraction from the same team as Everest and Kali just seems really unfortunate. There is so much expansion space to work with, and Disney has the funds to realize that space without taking out existing rides. Especially in a park with an overall drought of attractions, even 20 years on.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Given that I've always felt Dinosaur is a pale imitation of Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, I for one welcome our new Intellectual Property Overlords.
Eh. I’ve never gotten this POV. Dinosaur is a *great* ride. Is it as great as IJA? No, but few things are.

There’s plenty of spots in DHS or DAK where they could put an Indy ride without having to sacrifice a great original
And yet! On an exceedingly long boring attraction like UoE, I remember vividly watching the kids in each car coming back to life on they saw the Sauropods over the trees. It's not a problem with dinosaurs, it's a problem with the cheap mismanaged Dino-Rama. It'd be like replacing Space Mountain because Eisner ruined Rocket Rods.
Yea, it’s absolutely criminal to give up on *dinosaurs*, something basically every kid loves

Eh. I’ve never gotten this POV. Dinosaur is a *great* ride. Is it as great as IJA? No, but few things are.

There’s plenty of spots in DHS or DAK where they could put an Indy ride without having to sacrifice a great original

Yea, it’s absolutely criminal to give up on *dinosaurs*, something basically every kid loves
Dinosaur is a fantastic ride. One of my favorites out of the four parks. A theme park called "Animal Kingdom" that would have no dinosaurs is beyond bonkers to me.

Indy could just take over Dino-Rama. Hell, it could replace the Stunt Spectacular and the neighboring restaurant. We don't need an Encanto land lol

Last edited:
Dinosaur is a fantastic ride. One of my favorites out of the four parks. A theme park called "Animal Kingdom" that would have no dinosaurs is beyond bonkers to me.

Indy could just take over Dino-O-Rama. Hell, it could replace the Stunt Spectacular and the neighboring restaurant. We don't need an Encanto land lol
Encanto can take over Dino-Rama. DinoLand USA can go back to being the Dinosaur ride and play area as it originally was when the park opened.

And Indy can go to DHS where it belongs, with the other Lucasfilm property.

Didn't they just add new scenes for Star Tours?

They're being added next year, and thus the lifespan of that ride keeps on chugging along.

Also, LMAO if you think more people were going through Universe of Energy than Guardians.

Yeah, even when I was first visiting the parks back in 2001, it wasn't running at full capacity. The last time it did was when it was giving its final rides...and then it proceeded to break down, as if the old RV's weren't used to the sudden capacity it had to carry!

And elsewhere, someone brought up another possible reason why the parks have been gun-shy, mainly in WDW's case. They're probably waiting on that particular lawsuit with the CFTOD, and they wanna' wait for the results of that before moving forward with anything.

Reactions: Mad Dog
And elsewhere, someone brought up another possible reason why the parks have been gun-shy, mainly in WDW's case.
Between Epic, I-4, housing, and state’s new worker documentation laws, construction resources are hard to come by in Orlando.

Also, not to sound like a broken record, but between Hong Kong, Shanghai, Paris, Tokyo, and two cruise ships, WDI is quite stretched.

I laughed so hard when I heard Josh D'Amaro say that AK always has always been about "adventure" when he was asked about what Indie had to do with AK.

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals… real, ancient, and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs, and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony, and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn."​

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals… real, fake, and ip: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs Idiana Jones, and Avatar dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony, and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn less."​

Last edited:
Counterpoint: the entire concept of Dinosaur is that you’re visiting a human-operated research lab and going back in time with a human narrating your search for a specific dinosaur. Swap Dr. Seeker for Indiana Jones, 65 million years ago for the 1930s, dinosaurs for some animal deity thing that takes on the Mara role, and probably a meteor for a rolling ball, and what’s really the difference? Aside from the name of the attraction, although I’d expect Indy to be something like IJA: Temple of the [adjective] [animal].

Last edited:
Counterpoint: the entire concept of Dinosaur is that you’re visiting a human-operated research lab and going back in time with a human narrating your search for a specific dinosaur. Swap Dr. Seeker for Indiana Jones, 65 million years ago for the 1930s, dinosaurs for some animal deity thing that takes on the Mara role, and probably a meteor for a rolling ball, and what’s really the difference? Aside from the name of the attraction, although I’d expect Indy to be something like IJA: Temple of the [adjective] [animal].
For me, the sticker is Dinosaurs, and my overall distrust that they won't just clone the existing Indy ride here.

I would love an "Indy saves the Dinosaur's" type attraction, and it's practically the best replacement possible imo. I also would be totally fine if the Macguffin antique in this Indy story was an ancient animal like a Dodo or Giant Sloth, or a mythical one like a Griffin or Unicorn. But there is no sense of conservation, nature overtaking the human world, or any of that in the existing IJ ride, even if you make the god like animals or something. And the latter Indy ride ideas don't have to be a replacement for Dinosaur either! There are more than enough plots of land to expand into and make another big ride for a park without a ton of big rides.

Frankly, it's like saying "replace the Tower of Terror with the MCU Sorceror Headquarters, and the Third Dimension scene with some Doctor Strange swirl effects, its the same ride either way!", the experience would pretty clearly change a ton if the theme changed. I like the feeling of isolation, the darkness, and feeling like there are countless fearsome and cool creatures chasing after our RV in Dinosaur. There might be a feeling of danger in Indy, but it's not the same. Just as Tower of Terror doesn't have the same level of tension and fear once it got turned into Mission Breakout. It can still be a perfectly good attraction, but for fans of the original ride, what they loved about it is no longer there.

There's absolutely a way to make an Indiana Jones ride fit in Animal Kingdom. We've discussed options along those lines before.

But there are two concerns:

1. Removing dinosaurs from the park is a bad idea.
2. Would Disney even bother to put in the effort to make Indy fit? They didn't bother with Frozen in Norway, and that seemed like it should have been a layup (Elsa, Anna, and company are making a state visit to Arendelle's neighbor... Norway!).

Energy Adventure had higher theoretical throughput... but it doesn't matter when 90% of the seats are empty lol

GOTG is pretty much running at their throughput goal each our.

Epcot is the only park in Orlando that actually benefits more by replacing attractions/spaces that are currently utilized. It has so many venues just sitting empty with rarely more than 15 guests (Pixar Film, Awesome Planet, Canada 360, China 360.
I didn't write that Energy Adventure was a good ride, it isn't. Don't spin a negative that isn't there.

I don’t know Indy as an IP well enough… can dinosaurs be included?

This is not becomming a Disney vs Universal conversation, but giving Universal basically full control of Dino’s in theme parks is plain idiotic. They still sell, and always will. Just one example, but my cousins son just recently saw Jurassic Park for the first time and we’ve all been told for Christmas to get him, direct quote, “literally anytbing dinosaur related.”

I love this ride and can live with a replacement though, but like, depends.