Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand? | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
and an Indiana Jones ride that plays to a full capacity queue will also help. Plus, more guests mulling/walking around the area in shops etc. will help overall capacity. The last couple of times we were in AK, that whole Dino area was close to empty of guests.
This is what I’m not sure of - are the lines at Dinosaur weak in the evening because of the ride itself or because everybody has done everything there is to do at AK and has left? If it’s the latter, which honestly I think it is, switching it to Indy isn’t going to do much for evening utilization.

Same with the mornings - if you aren’t rope dropping Avatar then you’re probably going to KSR because everyone knows to not do that mid-day and the animals are out in the morning. The demand curve on Thrill-Data for that peaks at like 11am, which is crazy early for an E ticket. People aren’t going to head toward the Dinoland replacement first because now you’re going to have a crap safari.

Just seems like there’s a lack of understanding of the nuances of how that park works. It’s like they’ve… just spitballing here… turned attraction development over to the marketing and sales people and are going to learn some lessons the hard way in a few years.

This is what I’m not sure of - are the lines at Dinosaur weak in the evening because of the ride itself or because everybody has done everything there is to do at AK and has left? If it’s the latter, which honestly I think it is, switching it to Indy isn’t going to do much for evening utilization.
I think the question is whether or not switching to Indiana Jones:

-Increases park attendance
-Leading to more riders on Indiana Jones vs. Dinosaur
-Thereby taking more time for people to visit all the attractions and staying later in the evening as a result

Which ... maybe?

Same with the mornings - if you aren’t rope dropping Avatar then you’re probably going to KSR because everyone knows to not do that mid-day and the animals are out in the morning. The demand curve on Thrill-Data for that peaks at like 11am, which is crazy early for an E ticket. People aren’t going to head toward the Dinoland replacement first because now you’re going to have a crap safari.

Just seems like there’s a lack of understanding of the nuances of how that park works. It’s like they’ve… just spitballing here… turned attraction development over to the marketing and sales people and are going to learn some lessons the hard way in a few years.
I’m not following here at all. If the case you’re making is that Avatar and Safari peak early, then wouldn’t that be an argument FOR a “good” Dinosaur replacement (in quotes because I like Dinosaur as is) getting longer lines throughout the day? Not sure what you’re seeing as a lack of understanding when exactly what everyone has been saying is that later in the day, after the big rides have been knocked out, nobody cares about Dinosaur still.

Reactions: OrlLover
I’m not following here at all. If the case you’re making is that Avatar and Safari peak early, then wouldn’t that be an argument FOR a “good” Dinosaur replacement (in quotes because I like Dinosaur as is) getting longer lines throughout the day? Not sure what you’re seeing as a lack of understanding when exactly what everyone has been saying is that later in the day, after the big rides have been knocked out, nobody cares about Dinosaur still.
My assumption is that people are leaving having already done Dinosaur, so swapping that to Indy doesn’t really do much beyond the 3-6 months that it’s the new marketed thing.

Beyond Big Thunder makes sense to me - this just seems like AK will need to get “fixed” again in 4-5 years.

I think that poster may be playing devils advocate a little but overall Tropical America’s is huge step up in theming for AK.

Dinosaur has always been one of those rides that seems to have more haters than lovers so Disney is killing two birds with one stone.

Reactions: IzzyB
My assumption is that people are leaving having already done Dinosaur, so swapping that to Indy doesn’t really do much beyond the 3-6 months that it’s the new marketed thing.

Beyond Big Thunder makes sense to me - this just seems like AK will need to get “fixed” again in 4-5 years.
Dino lines aren't long most of the days, except for the busiest times of the year. . The 'actuals' according to Touring Plans are generally under 20 minutes most of the day. I prefer numbers from TP since they track actuals with real people and not the times posted by Disney that are generally inflated by almost 40% on the average.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I know plenty of people who go to AK and never ride Dinosaur. So I am going to go with way less people ride it than ride the other rides. So it will absolutely help. Encanto will spread out the Avatar/safari rope drop. I don't understand why it wouldn't. If people run to avatar, why wouldn't they run to this? Most who rope drop to avatar then go to Safari. My guess is now half those will rope drop to the new area and then safari. So it absolutely will spread out the morning crowds and extend people's day as I assume those will eventually circle back and still do avatar.

While replacing Dinosaur for Indy won't make a dramatic change, the entire Tropical Americas project will.

However, it's still not enough to keep guests at DAK longer.

I love Dinosaur, but I don't mind the retheme based on how quickly Dinosaur's maintenance can fall off. Ride was looking fantastic with most effects working about a month or so ago... now it's back to being in bad shape again.

Dinosaur just has a lot going against it...
  • Very well hidden, kind of have to know it's there (and the facade is quite bare/lacking)
  • Lots of folks who can't (or won't) experience it due to the motion profile or "scariness" of the dinosaurs
  • Better alternative offerings, even at a park with very little experiences, there's still 2-3 better experiences to do again and again before you choose Dinosaur.