Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But to what extent? We don't know what the world will be like in ten years. For all we know, a decent amount of Florida could be underwater in 20-30 years.

I know I kind of seem paranoid and stuff, but Universal should be taking this into account.
They dumped butt tons of dirt on this land, could have raised it above flood level perhaps?

Reactions: GAcoaster
But to what extent? We don't know what the world will be like in ten years. For all we know, a decent amount of Florida could be underwater in 20-30 years.

I know I kind of seem paranoid and stuff, but Universal should be taking this into account.

I think you need to take a deep breath. So far there is no strengthening signal in hurricanes or heatwaves when it comes to climate change (this is info directly from the UN reports). The sea level rise is a big question mark, but there's been no acceleration in that yet either.

Basically, yes bad stuff might happen down the road, but at this time Universal can't really do anything about that other than build its parks to withstand the storms we already see.

Yea the Orlando parks are already built to withstand the strongest types of hurricanes. Just because climate change may bring about “more stronger storms,” that doesn’t mean stronger storms, just more of them more often. We still only go up to cat5 on the scale.

There really isn't any signal yet on more storms either. It's possible that could happen, but *so far* that hasn't panned out.

But yea, Universal is building its parks to withstand hurricanes.

Not to get too morose, but if large swaths of Florida are underwater, we've got bigger problems than what's going on with the theme parks.

For short stays, with buy 2 get 3, Disney DOES charge damn near double.

Like I said earlier, perceived value.

But, really, only Hard Rock is "closer", and I guess, although a bit further. The bus ride for the new hotel will probably be shorter than a boat ride from PBR, and about the same as all the other resorts.

Not really. In a straight line, it’s about 3 miles, 4x the distance and you need to rely on buses, you can’t walk.

I’m not saying the new hotel is going to be failure or anything like that but the current resort is going to offer more bang.

If it has views of fireworks, Express Pass (Providing the new park opens with it) and a more boutique experience, it will increase my value of staying but if it’s just another hotel, I’ll stay at the current resort unless I’m only visiting for a few days but given the distance to get there and how I vacation, that’s unlikely.

I don’t believe the forecast is for Florida to be completely underwater in the next century. Central Florida is 60’ to 120’ above sea level. It is only the now coastal areas which are in extreme danger in the next couple of decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.