Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so this is the breakdown for how Universal's hotels are incorporated:

UCF Hotel Venture (50% Loews, 25% Universal, 25% Hard Rock) = Hard Rock, Portofino Bay, Royal Pacific

UCF Hotel Venture II (50% Loews, 50% Universal) = Cabana Bay

UCF Hotel Venture III (50% Loews, 50% Universal) = Sapphire Falls

UCF Hotel Venture IV (50% Loews, 50% Universal) = Aventura

UCF Hotel Venture V (50% Loews, 50% Universal) = Endless Summer

Can probably assume VI and so on will be for the hotels in the south resort.

Reactions: natespf
I'm hoping that Uni purchases any remaining land from Universal BLVD to Kirkman just to prevent any outside businesses from making the area ugly. The entire drive from North UO to South UO will feel like you are still inside the resort aside from a few businesses, and I hope the city can maintain the area surrounding the roads.

If it were adjusting an existing road, maybe, but a brand new road?
This project is slightly complicated by the fact that FDOT is responsible for doing the Sand Lake interchange and north, while Orange county is responsible for the portion south of Sand Lake Rd.

I'm guessing that Orange county's section will be primarily built and paid for by Universal, with the county reimbursing them over a number of years through tax credits (or something along those lines). This is the part that the new park can't open without, but Universal should have enough control over the project to make sure it is done in advance of the new park opening.

Reconstructing the interchange at Sand Lake Road is likely to be a larger project, and because it has to go through FDOT, will probably take longer to get completed. It might be a little messy, but I think the new park could open even if FDOT is still working on some of the various ramps involved in the intersection come 2023/2024.

Imagine the access. Ride is closed for high winds yet he rides to the top for a look around.
I am awed by the steel to be up that high when it is blowing plus being allowed to go up.

Climb yesterday was done before the ride opened, I was up there with one of the maintenance guys during morning inspections. He was doing his checks....I was doing mine :ay:. Winds were around 15 m.p.h. yesterday with gusts up to 25....at that speed it's not too much of a sway. It's when we get close to 45 m.p.h. winds that it starting getting fun, but the ride is actually built to run in 40 m.p.h. winds. The guys at Orlando Starflyer have really been incredible and I can't wait thank them enough for allowing me to climb. Really....we should all be thanking them for letting us get these pictures of the new park / rest of Orlando. When things really start getting interesting on the new park, expect lots of views.

Did he ride up in a central elevator or was he on the swing?

Climb up to the star, ride it up to about 400 ft., step off the star and into the heart of the tower, proceed to climb up 20 ft. to the top metal mechanical house, and if I so choose....climb the extra 30 ft. to the summit.

Last edited:
Why is someone not just flying a drone over the property at least once a week for updates? I would do it myself if I were more consistently in that area.

It's not illegal, I've checked Airmap and there are no restrictions in that area.

Go right ahead big fella...step right up. Universal owns the airspace up to 500 ft. above the park correct? Fly below it and it's illegal, it's trespassing is it not? Sure, fly over 500 ft. and try to get a decent view....but when your drone kills Bio...everyone will remember you ;).

Last edited:
Go right ahead big fella...step right up.
I fly drones for my work. I know where I can and cannot fly. If you're going to say it's illegal or not allowed there you could at least offer a little more than just "because I say so". We all know things are changing all the time, if you have a concrete reason why it wouldn't be allowed than I would be curious to know. I'm just not seeing anything myself.

Universal owns the airspace up to 500 ft. above the park correct? Fly below it and it's illegal it's trespassing is it not? Sure, fly over 500 ft. and try to get a decent view....but when your drone kills Bio...everyone will remember you ;).
Totally incorrect. Universal does not own the airspace. No company or individual owns airspace above their property. It's all part of the national airspace and is regulated and controlled by the FAA.

National Airspace System - Wikipedia

Totally incorrect. Universal does not own the airspace. No company or individual owns airspace above their property. It's all part of the national airspace and is regulated and controlled by the FAA.

Go fly a drone above Universal, IOA, Volcano Bay, etc. and see if the cops don't get called on you... :rolleyes: please...I beg of you.

Go fly a drone above Universal, IOA, Volcano Bay, etc. and see if the cops don't get called on you... :rolleyes: please...I beg of you.
I never suggested that. There are rules for flying drones and they're not allowed over amusement parks or gathering with large number of people as well as other things like prisons and schools. I guess it's obvious at this point you have no real knowledge of when and where drones are allowed to fly. So if you have nothing of any substance to add you're just spreading misinformation.

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
AFAIK, there are Florida regulations that prevent you from flying drones around large gatherings (or businesses that would have large gatherings) in Florida and places like UOR or WDW fall under that.

But there's no real ban on flying drones around land where there's no expectation of privacy. Yes, the Universal land is owned by a corporation, but they don't have a basis for privacy like other types of businesses might (i.e. Lockheed or a defense contractor). This is just amusement park/hotel/commercial zoned land; there's nothing there that would cause somebody to get in trouble for flying a drone around while the land is being built.

It should be okay to fly drones around the new land for the next 2 years I'd imagine. Things will probably start getting restricted there around 2021-2022.

I never suggested that. There are rules for flying drones and they're not allowed over amusement parks or gathering with large number of people as well as other things like prisons and schools. I guess it's obvious at this point you have no real knowledge of when and where drones are allowed to fly. So if you have nothing of any substance to add you're just spreading misinformation.

We're waiting for your video...

I not gonna lie, I'm just learning on all the legal stuff for drones...but I'll learn. What I do know, fly a drone around the property, expect black and whites.

Unauthorized drone flies over Disney, Universal

AFAIK, there are Florida regulations that prevent you from flying drones around large gatherings (or businesses that would have large gatherings) in Florida and places like UOR or WDW fall under that.

But there's no real ban on flying drones around land where there's no expectation of privacy. Yes, the Universal land is owned by a corporation, but they don't have a basis for privacy like other types of businesses might (i.e. Lockheed or a defense contractor). This is just amusement park/hotel/commercial zoned land; there's nothing there that would cause somebody to get in trouble for flying a drone around while the land is being built.

It should be okay to fly drones around the new land for the next 2 years I'd imagine. Things will probably start getting restricted there around 2021-2022.

As for the airspace over the new land, if it's allowed...we'll get right on it ;-).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.