Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wasn’t Hagrid’s rumored for that spot?

I would think Rona will keep Jaws alive for a few years longer than it would’ve otherwise lasted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freak
jaws being retired for a major ride there makes sense, Jaws got retired in Orlando for Diagon so this is expected eventually, but what it is... who knows.

Is there any space to the left, and behind Waterworld (and sorta behind JP?) for anymore expansion. Obviously in a dream world Pokemon goes there, Hagrid's goes in Jaws.

But, Pokemon makes the most sense.

I think that spot could go either way, depending on which makes more money and has more demand. The Japanese market is different than the American market-- I'm sure they'll do tons of market research to determine what will draw more guests/make more money. It's a big enough plot to do several things, and the way Universal works they may find a way to put a lot in that space and expand both Potter and Nintendo.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Huh. That’s surprising.
Not sure why that's needed. It's a good chunk of land, but it's the only area of the park that caters to the super young demographic. It's basically what KidZone should have been, a repository for multiple small flat rides in a park mostly focused on action and thrills. And all within a convenient, accessible location rather than spread out around the park.

Not sure why that's needed. It's a good chunk of land, but it's the only area of the park that caters to the super young demographic. It's basically what KidZone should have been, a repository for multiple small flat rides in a park mostly focused on action and thrills. And all within a convenient, accessible location rather than spread out around the park.

Yeah, though if they're going to go by the same layout as Orlando, it's where they'd put Hagrid.

I'm okay with Jaws being demolished just because I want to feel just a little less jealous of Japan. Everyone raves about their Disney (seemingly deserved), but their Universal still has Jaws, what's said to be the world's best B&M flyer, and is the first to get Nintendo.

(Granted, I like Hagrid's roughly the same as Jaws, so tit for tat if that's what's replacing it.)

Last edited:
Yeah, though if they're going to go by the same layout as Orlando, it's where they'd put Hagrid.

I'm okay with Jaws being demolished just because I want to feel just a little less jealous of Japan. Everyone raves about their Disney (seemingly deserved), but their Universal still has Jaws, what's said to be the world's best B&M flyer, and is the first to get Nintendo.
I'll certainly have to go before Jaws closes. It's the last OG ride I haven't done in some form.

Won't be surprised if Jaws closes right when I book my trip. I missed seeing it one last time in Orlando by a week. Gonna hope it says at least until the end of 2022.

Anyways, this is the same rumor I heard back in 2017. Jaws would give way to Hagrids. Guess we'll find out soon enough....

As others have said, it would make more sense for Hagrids to replace Universal funland right next to Hoggsmead. Universal funland is an absolute cash cow for the park so I'd imagine they would re-create elsewhere.

While it's inevitable that it will be replaced at some point, USJ seem a bit more nostalgic than normal Universal parks, and this rumor seems to pop up at least once a year and then nothing happens.

If they want to build a classic Monsters land in place of Jaws I'd be for the idea!

Hagrids seems like a giant use/waste of space for Japan maybe. They are tight on land and could use it more to there advantage. They would need a shorter or more compact Hagrid. You could fit a whole new land and 2/3 attractions in the space of Hagrids.

unless they are getting a parking structure sometime soon?

Them tagging Jaws as the next expansion area is kinda old news (and I've hinted at it here). Considering how well Hagrid has been received I've always felt that would be a prime location for a re-imagined version of the ride that gets rid of the pesky failure points and fits a smaller ride area.

Them tagging Jaws as the next expansion area is kinda old news (and I've hinted at it here). Considering how well Hagrid has been received I've always felt that would be a prime location for a re-imagined version of the ride that gets rid of the pesky failure points and fits a smaller ride area.

It would pretty much have to be smaller, I think?

It would pretty much have to be smaller, I think?
They could probably have a ride of the same length if they have more segments on multiple levels and if they use the extra height to propel the train forward without launches. I'd think they would have to keep the drop track though, that's undoubtedly one of the largest selling points of the ride

You happen to have a timeline for the project?

All I’ve heard was Jaws time is limited and UP&R (and guests) are very happy with Hagrid. I put 2 + 2 together.
and got 5? (Kidding ;))

Remember how there was talk about how Hagrids might have worked better if it was indoors? I could totally see it being mainly in a show building if it comes to Japan - would certainly help with the weather they have there too.