Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 276 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the big issue with the "Open Hub" concept is how do you successfully explain and market it? It sounds like a confusing mess for the general public.

Expanding on your last point. What is there to market? A few restaurants and some pretty fountains.

I don’t see any reason to visit the hub over the current CityWalk or any of the multiple offerings on I Drive or Disney Springs.

What if the lands close before the hub, and that’s why it has so much dining? Essentially acting the same way current CityWalk does as a catch hall for people looking to sit down for dinner after the park all day.

If the open hub idea still exists at all, I’m wondering if it’s just for resort guests with access directly from the hotel at the back only? And maybe even then, only after the lands themselves have closed.

Reactions: RevFreako
What if the lands close before the hub, and that’s why it has so much dining? Essentially acting the same way current CityWalk does as a catch hall for people looking to sit down for dinner after the park all day.

If the open hub idea still exists at all, I’m wondering if it’s just for resort guests with access directly from the hotel at the back only? And maybe even then, only after the lands themselves have closed.
Gotta have one heck of a night show, small flat ride, and coaster if they’re going to close the lands, aka the main attractions. I feel the back hotel isn’t large enough to be the sole entry to the hub at certain hours of the day, I guess I just don’t see how they maintain traffic.

Now, if the lands closed at 8/9, and the Hub stayed open until 12..... I think now we’re talking. Nighttime show to kick off the night at the hub, maybe a ticket is required, idk how late night events work at Disney and how they kick people out after Wishes but same deal here, hotel guests only after the fireworks. Rides and restaurants in the hub are all open. It seems too complicated if it’s anything other than this I feel.

Gotta have one heck of a night show, small flat ride, and coaster if they’re going to close the lands, aka the main attractions. I feel the back hotel isn’t large enough to be the sole entry to the hub at certain hours of the day, I guess I just don’t see how they maintain traffic.

Now, if the lands closed at 8/9, and the Hub stayed open until 12..... I think now we’re talking. Nighttime show to kick off the night at the hub, maybe a ticket is required, idk how late night events work at Disney and how they kick people out after Wishes but same deal here, hotel guests only after the fireworks. Rides and restaurants in the hub are all open. It seems too complicated if it’s anything other than this I feel.
I was thinking more like, for more than half the year when parks close too early for supper time, like 5pm/6pm ish, then hub stays open a couple extra hours beyond the lands so the restaurants still get service until like 10pm ish.

On nights during peak season, when park doesn't close until 10pm anyway, hub and lands close at same time.

No reason to have that many sit down restaurants in the hub and not get use from them half the year at dinner time.

Reactions: tielo
I was thinking more like, for more than half the year when parks close too early for supper time, like 5pm/6pm ish, then hub stays open a couple extra hours beyond the lands so the restaurants still get service until like 10pm ish.

On nights during peak season, when park doesn't close until 10pm anyway, hub and lands close at same time.

No reason to have that many sit down restaurants in the hub and not get use from them half the year at dinner time.
I guess my thought would be, would Epic be closing the same time as USF and IOA do? I feel this park is going to get different treatment with that kind of thing, but maybe that’s wrong. I feel if they have a nighttime show and are trying to convince people to stay for a week then having one park opening every night to 8/9 at least makes sense and have the nighttime show. So maybe they just force guests over to EU and close other parks so it’s Citywalk and Epic Universe open, aka where allllll the dining is? Idk, they have options which is interesting.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
This would bring double the confusion that Universal Escape had,
“What do you mean I have to pay for parking? I’m not going to the park, I saw that the middle portion was open for everyone for free! I can’t wait to ride the rollercoaster!” - guest who shows up at noon for the “free” part of the park.

It all seems a little confusing. So the rollercoaster is not part of a land? I know this is all speculation and eventually will be worked out in classic Universal time once they have been opened for a few months.

Reactions: Scott W.
The hub is by far the largest park area. I think it was due to the hub's size and the connection to the hotel which is part of the reason for the open concept.

1. Its technically the only original land in the park. Meaning no IPs. That's a big investment with no guaranteed returns. Having people go there and eat would at least guarantee some ROI.
2. The size is huge meaning they have to add content/attractions to full things out.
3. Attaching the hotel means they have to give something to guests to do outside of hanging in their rooms since they don't have a city walk option.

I think the reason people can't justify the hub is because there truly is so little information. What restaurants, what experiences, what stores, what will the hub consist of. I think once we get more of that information, it will become apparent.

I don't think the open hub is necessarily a complicated thing. There is a lot of assumptions that the way this park will work will be similar to how IOA or USF works but I'm of the mindset Universal will change the ticketing/entrance processes to highlight those who are hub/hotel visitors and those who are park visitors.

Universal Studios Beijing is opening with Face recognition technology for what the press releases say. We will get to see a large scale practice of "ticketless entry". If that is a success, there is no issue with them using it for the individual lands.

You don't need an IP in a park's general entrance/center area to justify it. Hotel guests have a 10 minute bus ride to CityWalk (much better than a 20-30 bus ride to Disney Springs from a Disney hotel). Fans will understand how a "open hub concept" works, but not the general public that still finds the "upcharge" cost of the Hogwarts Express puzzling.

Reactions: Nick and JungleSkip
Just to throw my two cents in on the music choices, coinciding the celestial/elemental theming of the hub and the hotel being named after a Greek god, I feel something along the lines of the music from the old Race for Atlantis attraction at Caesar's Palace and Phantasialand would be more fitting.

I think the big issue with the "Open Hub" concept is how do you successfully explain and market it? It sounds like a confusing mess for the general public.
It seems like a strange idea.

Just imagining having to scan a ticket before entering Diagon Alley or Pandora or SWL. It just seems clunky...Now imagine having to do that all day lol

I could see it working if there was another hub outside of the Epic Universe arches that functioned as an entertainment district

The best course of action IMO would be to keep the hub open at the end of the night like CityWalk...or even Epcot where Future World closes at a different time than World Showcase.

Reactions: Nick and RFRees
Yep. Have any survivor from both it and Battle of Hogwarts (Ron or George, specifically) drop their memory into a pensive. The VR headset is themed as a “pensive shroud” or something similar, which allows multiple people to experience a memory at once. Viola. You ARE (a) Harry Potter, in one of the most significant moments in the series. Frame it as part of a research project by the Ministry to archive everything the Order did to stop Voldemort, and you have an attraction.

I'm just reading this now, but I wish they could've incorporated this plot into Forbidden Journey, while keeping the technology. Ergo, it now has a coherent story.

Of course, the sense of danger would've been lost...

I'm getting sooo impatient in wondering what they're planning for the headliner in WW 3.0, after Alicia's comments a few months ago.

The whole hub design is just bizarre. Not that I'm a professional, but I wouldn't have designed my park like that.

It feels like they are just trying to make it a more exclusive CityWalk at this point. Maybe Uni is just trying to make the new area different, with availability to only those that have a ticket to Epic.

This might be so this new area isn't directly competing with CityWalk. It could be a problem for CW if this new Hub-like area is as revolutionary and shiny as some make it out to be.

1. Its technically the only original land in the park. Meaning no IPs. That's a big investment with no guaranteed returns. Having people go there and eat would at least guarantee some ROI.
2. The size is huge meaning they have to add content/attractions to full things out.
3. Attaching the hotel means they have to give something to guests to do outside of hanging in their rooms since they don't have a city walk option.
These are some weird justifications TBH.

1. Is there any Universal or Disney park with a “Main Street” that is IP based?
2. Okay. But having attractions there are still gonna confuse people who showed up for the “free” park.
3. Most hotels don’t have a CityWalk attached to them! The hotel will have all the normal things that hotels have for guests when they’re there.

My question is, how full do their in park sit down restaurants actually get already?

When I think of wildly popular in park dining my mind naturally goes to Disney

Their restaurants usually offer an IP, a glimpse of a ride, or some easy to understand cuisine (in the case of Epcot’s World Showcase or AK’s offerings)

I realize that these ideas pretty much only exist due to Disney “training” guests to think this way, but if people DO already operate in this fashion, then it’s a bit of a gamble to expect a day guest to change their way of thinking

Therefore, I am curious what they have planned as I cannot picture any of this with what little we know.

I always recall hearing that this park was being built w/ facial rec. in mind so I assume there should not be a ticket to reach for the spokes to be separate from the hub.

I imagine it could sort of work if the attractions are the point where admission is checked. I imagine it would be a huge gamble (how to you keep out the zero spenders?) But it allows folks to spend $$ on food merch and then the attractions are sold as some sort of package -- that way one could still see a land before deciding to spend on attractions.

I have no clue. I am just trying to spit ball on how I might approach the issue if I were told that the hub would not require admission (but the spokes do)

These are some weird justifications TBH.

1. Is there any Universal or Disney park with a “Main Street” that is IP based?
2. Okay. But having attractions there are still gonna confuse people who showed up for the “free” park.
3. Most hotels don’t have a CityWalk attached to them! The hotel will have all the normal things that hotels have for guests when they’re there.

1. Is main street USA or port of entry the same size as two lands and maybe more? No. The space and size has to be justified with the cost to build, otherwise its wasted space that doesn't add any revenue.

2. Make a dine and ride package....if you dine or shop, free entry into hub attractions.

3. This is a deluxe hotel. There has to be some value added to the guest other than view of the new park. Of course not every park don't have a citywalk but comparing to other deluxe hotels, you have the water taxis and walking distance to Citywalk for additional entertainment. This does not have a fast option unless they want the hotel guests to go to I-drive.

Reactions: RFRees
Status
Not open for further replies.