Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 345 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Fantastic Beasts trailer out this week.

I know the current standing rumor is that the land will be set in the 1990s to align with Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley (correct me if I'm wrong). However, it's still possible (and still rumored?) that the land will be influenced by Fantastic Beasts (at least in part?).

I think they could easily merge the two by having an audience (or riders) enter the attraction from the 90s, and through story telling, have them transported back in time.

Dumbledore: "Let me tell you the story.... Of the most fantastic wizard duel in history.... But for you students to really learn from this... You'll have to be there yourself."

With this idea, Universal would avoid going all in on Fantastic Beasts. They could pull in some of the greatest elements from the franchise (like seeing Dumbledore in his prime), while cashing in on what they know works (Harry Potter).

Reactions: Suchomimus
New Fantastic Beasts trailer out this week.

I know the current standing rumor is that the land will be set in the 1990s to align with Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley (correct me if I'm wrong). However, it's still possible (and still rumored?) that the land will be influenced by Fantastic Beasts (at least in part?).

I think they could easily merge the two by having an audience (or riders) enter the attraction from the 90s, and through story telling, have them transported back in time.

Dumbledore: "Let me tell you the story.... Of the most fantastic wizard duel in history.... But for you students to really learn from this... You'll have to be there yourself."

With this idea, Universal would avoid going all in on Fantastic Beasts. They could pull in some of the greatest elements from the franchise (like seeing Dumbledore in his prime), while cashing in on what they know works (Harry Potter).

Current rumor is the streets will be 1920s Paris as seen in the second Fantastic Beasts film. Then, at the back of the area will be essentially another miniland set within the British Ministry of Magic in the 1990s Potter area, where the main attraction will be.

The land is very much Fantastic Beasts, and the British MoM is very much Potter. So, two lands for the price of one?

Current rumor is the streets will be 1920s Paris as seen in the second Fantastic Beasts film. Then, at the back of the area will be essentially another miniland set within the British Ministry of Magic in the 1990s Potter area, where the main attraction will be.

The land is very much Fantastic Beasts, and the British MoM is very much Potter. So, two lands for the price of one?

Interested to see how you'll be "transported" there. This is definitely the wildcard of EU.

I enjoy the idea of a Post-Potter, Post-FB type of land

It seems to open things up to more original stories

Also, there are Wizarding Schools all over the world and I think there are many more stories to be told

I wouldn't hate if Universal tapped into some of that for the future

Also, there are Wizarding Schools all over the world and I think there are many more stories to be told

I’ve said before I wouldn’t mind the Beauxbaton Academy replacing the cut French Ministry on the France side.

Reactions: Coolbfitz

My only concern with this is that things can go to a “new planet” pretty quickly. I wouldn’t want Universal to lose what the current lands have going for them.

Universal's Potter lands/areas have been pretty flexible time/story/characters overall. They've basically avoided the issues that Disney forced upon themselves with Batuu. I'd imagine they'll stick with this winning formula.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Universal's Potter lands/areas have been pretty flexible time/story/characters overall. They've basically avoided the issues that Disney forced upon themselves with Batuu. I'd imagine they'll stick with this winning formula.
I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think "The Wizarding World" won't continue on in film and long form stories

Personally, I see great potential in a longform Wizarding World type show on a streaming service in the near future

Universal, of course, would capitalize on these stories be it one off attractions, or lands

I think the day of "Harry Potter and the...." rides are over, but the Wizarding World is evergreen IMO

We all know there is a contract to make HP related attractions, give it early to mid 2030s we officially stop seeing HP attractions added, IMO.

Hagrid’s does a well enough job of mixing new with the familiar, while adding things from the books we never saw in the films.

Totally agree. The core of Hagrid’s is from the reference. I’m more wary of full lands. EU has the benefit of MoM to ground the land. I think of Potter lands’ wow factor when you cross the threshold. Diagon & Hogsmeade both have it. I think that wow factor may be delayed until you enter the queue for the MoM. Similar to when you walk into Gringotts, except Gringotts has all of Diagon to experience first. I’m really hoping I’m wrong and the 1920’s Paris is stunning.

I just wouldn’t want to visit a land based on America’s Wizarding school. Same general Potter vibe, has all the hallmarks, but does not have the same cultural significance.

Totally agree. The core of Hagrid’s is from the reference. I’m more wary of full lands. EU has the benefit of MoM to ground the land. I think of Potter lands’ wow factor when you cross the threshold. Diagon & Hogsmeade both have it. I think that wow factor may be delayed until you enter the queue for the MoM. Similar to when you walk into Gringotts, except Gringotts has all of Diagon to experience first. I’m really hoping I’m wrong and the 1920’s Paris is stunning.

I just wouldn’t want to visit a land based on America’s Wizarding school. Same general Potter vibe, has all the hallmarks, but does not have the same cultural significance.
Ugh, I'm going to have to hear "this looks like the France area at Epcot" aren't I?

Reactions: Suchomimus and Nico
Ugh, I'm going to have to hear "this looks like the France area at Epcot" aren't I?

195 countries in the world and theme parks can't seem to move past using 4 with 2 collective areas as the main representation in their parks. (France, Germany, United States, UK, Africa, (yes I know not a country but it gets treated as one) and Pacific Islands (see africa description).

Interested to see how you'll be "transported" there. This is definitely the wildcard of EU.

62885492.jpg

195 countries in the world and theme parks can't seem to move past using 4 with 2 collective areas as the main representation in their parks. (France, Germany, United States, UK, Africa, (yes I know not a country but it gets treated as one) and Pacific Islands (see africa description).
*looks at the settings of the vast majority of popular media in western markets*

Yep.

When almost all the media consumed by a population is Euro-centric sourced, then all compounding media will be Euro-centric sourced. American media take place in America because they are written by American writers for American audiences. Americans are raised on Euro-sourced fairy tales because America is Euro-sourced, and those stories were written the same way.

It’s not complicated.

The only reason African cultures get any sort of visual representation is the Euro-centric stance of the place as “mysterious” and “savage” and most animals in zoos come from there.

Frankly, you broad-stroke three distinct cultures as “Africa” yourself. Harambe in AK is east Africa. Epcot is more central Africa, and the Mummy is north Africa.

*looks at the settings of the vast majority of popular media in western markets*

Yep.

When almost all the media consumed by a population is Euro-centric sourced, then all compounding media will be Euro-centric sourced. American media take place in America because they are written by American writers for American audiences. Americans are raised on Euro-sourced fairy tales because America is Euro-sourced, and those stories were written the same way.

It’s not complicated.

The only reason African cultures get any sort of visual representation is the Euro-centric stance of the place as “mysterious” and “savage” and most animals in zoos come from there.

Frankly, you broad-stroke three distinct cultures as “Africa” yourself. Harambe in AK is east Africa. Epcot is more central Africa, and the Mummy is north Africa.

Busch Gardens Tampa is "Africa" themed. Wasn't looking at just Disney/Universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.