Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 184 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal commenting on it is why I began discussing it here, and minus Daniel I believe they were one of the first to speak out against her comments. When its their biggest IP I feel just the fact the company spoke out against her is discussion worthy, without trying to dabble into the topic itself. But everyone is right its best to be left out of a theme park forum and sorry if I contributed to any distractions. To any of my fellow LGBTQ members, I love ya!!!!

Anyways, to move the discussion a little bit more towards the park itself, re-watched Frankenstein the other day (1950s? version, original whatever year it was), I really hope there is an interactive meet n greet with Frankie himself in his lab. It's one of those things that seems almost too perfect to not pull off. Easily could be an expanded/2nd form of a Raptor Encounter type meet n greet.

• Love
Reactions: alias8703
I don't think this is the place for any of this discussion, frankly.

If and when lands for Epic Universe are officially announced, and an FB/Wizarding World area is or is not part of that announcement, then maybe some of this would be relevant. Until then, it's skirting way too closely to political disagreement.

Just my two cents.
Believing someone has the right to be who they are is human rights, not political.

That being said, this probably isn't the place for the discussion

Universal commenting on it is why I began discussing it here, and minus Daniel I believe they were one of the first to speak out against her comments. When its their biggest IP I feel just the fact the company spoke out against her is discussion worthy, without trying to dabble into the topic itself. But everyone is right its best to be left out of a theme park forum and sorry if I contributed to any distractions. To any of my fellow LGBTQ members, I love ya!!!!

Anyways, to move the discussion a little bit more towards the park itself, re-watched Frankenstein the other day (1950s? version, original whatever year it was), I really hope there is an interactive meet n greet with Frankie himself in his lab. It's one of those things that seems almost too perfect to not pull off. Easily could be an expanded/2nd form of a Raptor Encounter type meet n greet.

My intent was not to inflame. Apologies and peace to all.

However, a Frankenstein meet and greet better have Tesla coils. Lots of Tesla coils!

I actually found Rowling's comments to be extremely careful and thoughtful. I'd encourage people to actually read her essay as opposed to just reading reactionary tweets about it.

While I've always hoped for a world where people can agree to disagree without every difference of opinion becoming a morality play with sides and swords clearly drawn at the first hint of disagreement, apparently that world is as much of a fantasy land as the theme parks we love are. A world where disagreements don't automatically follow with accusations of "hate" and "bigotry"? Wouldn't that be something?

I always caution against becoming too enamored of any specific creator. Our heroes will always disappoint us because they are human. The creation is what matters and is far less corruptible. (Well, unless you entrust it to Benioff and Weiss, in which case, good luck.)

But more germane to the topic at hand, I don't foresee this having any impact on Universal's or WB's plans. I am sorry if it lessens anyone's anticipation for product in the pipeline, as anticipation and excitement are manifestations of hope, with hope being what we need most of these days.

Frankly, it is her essay that disturbed/disappointed me the most, even above her tweets....

I agree, that I don't think Universal is going to be dropping the Fantastic Beast/Ministries land from EU. I'd think that's all set in stone at this point. Ultimately, money talks. I suspect Warner Brothers and Universal will be closely monitoring the extent of the negative backlash, and ultimately, if it starts to affect the bottom line. A year or two from now, if the next Fantastic Beasts movie tanks, and other Potter-related media and merch starts to dip, then I wouldn't be surprised if Universal pulls the plug on future expansion plans.

Reactions: soilsigh
As someone who knows an okay amount about how theme parks are run and a more-than-healthy obsession with Nintendo, I thought I'd throw my two cents in about what could or couldn't be on the table for Nintendo developments at Epic and elsewhere. I tried to be as realistic and objective as possible. I based the franchises I considered for this list on the ones from Smash Bros, as those tend to be the most popular characters/series Nintendo has to offer.

S-Tier: Mario and Pokemon. Nothing else they own can come close to the recognizability of these two. The only slight nag with Pokemon is that while it is widely considered a Nintendo franchise, it also requires input from TPC. Jumping around any potential rights issues however, these should have no problem getting into the parks and making great lands.

A-Tier: Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, and Donkey Kong Arcade+Country. DKC would be B or C tier but gets the boost because of people's knowledge of the arcade game, the connection to Mario, and just how solid of an idea Mine Kart Madness is. A DKC subland is perfectly reasonable. Luigi is just more Mario, as well as being a solid ride idea. Zelda has always been a bit more niche than Mario, but is still one of the biggest and most recognizable gaming franchises out there. It might take longer than A-Tier but I don't doubt these will all be implemented somewhere in a big way.

B-Tier: Kirby, Animal Crossing. Recognizable and popular, but not nearly as much as S-Tier or Zelda. Kirby seems like the next thing after the Big 3, but I don't see a full land coming. Maybe a few off-the-shelf kiddy attractions and a Meet and Greet, but I suspect Universal will throw the bone to Illumination/Dreamworks before either of these get in. That said, a lot of merch will be sold of these, and they will probably be really popular M&G attractions if implemented.

C-Tier: Nothing really comes to mind. Most Nintendo franchises are either very popular or incredibly core and niche.

D-Tier: Metroid, Star Fox, Splatoon, Pikmin. Not popular/recognizable enough at all to justify a full land/ride over others but with just enough niche popularity to point them out above F-tier franchises. You might see a little bit of merch of these IPs, specifically Pikmin/Splatoon. I would be very surprised to see a Samus M&G.

F-Tier: Punch-Out!!, F-Zero, Mother, Xenoblade, Game & Watch, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus. Incredibly niche and/or aging properties that often require longterm commitment with the game/series to have proper understanding of the IP. Very little to no icon status. You could make a wonderful BTTF-style ride based off of Kid Icarus or a really cool dinner-theatre experience with Punch-Out!!, but the audience is minimal and returns will be small. Merch will be nonexistant outside of trace references to the Wii, NES, and Game and Watch devices. If Samus doesn't get a M&G, what chance does Captain Falcon, Pit, Ness, or Shulk have?

A wierd space for Nintendo franchises, are the Mario adjacent properties like Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario, and WarioWare.

DKC only gets the boost to Subland based off of Donkey Kong's inherent popularity and the neccesity for the Subland to be Country in order to house MKM.

Luigi's Mansion has the same artstyle as the Super Mario games and is a part of the main canon in a way that the other sub-Mario's simply aren't. It's much easier to seamlessly add on Luigi's Mansion to a Mario land than it would be to add Yoshi's Island or Paper Mario. Not to mention that LM has elements of Haunt attractions and Shooter attractions, both of which have been amusement park staples for decades.

Yoshi's Island and WarioWare don't have the Icon status of DK or the ease of planning that Luigi does. I expect elements of Yoshi's Island to show up in the SNW Yoshi ride (Yoshi's singing, multicolored Yoshi's and Eggs, maybe even a Kamek at some point.) but the various artstyles and Baby characters/Yoshi-specific enemies like Raven or Burt the Bashful will not appear. WarioWare will not appear at all. It is completely divorced from the Mario series outside of the Big Wah in question and is too niche and not condusive enough to be given full theme park treatment. Same goes for the RPGs. Of course elements will be shared between SNW and the RPGs, as that tends to happen when both are based off the same main series. But any RPG specific characters, worlds, or artstyles just don't make sense to appear at all. Any merch of these series will be filed under Super Mario, and I doubt any characters or items exclusive to these sub-genres will end up getting spotlight. Sorry Fawful and Jimmy T fans.

Those are just my thoughts though, I'd love to hear yalls opinion on the matter of Nintendo content. I'd love just about any Nintendo franchise to make the cut, I've been dreaming of a full Nintendo theme park since I was a kid. But sometimes I just gotta admit that Earthbound probably isn't gonna be getting a Hagrid's-style dark ride coaster or nothing. :lol:

If I want to guess at the lineup for Epic Universe, it will probably end up being SNW+DKC at launch, and two expansions being Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion in the coming years. Zelda will get thrown to IoA, and maybe some Kirby/Animal Crossing M&G/flat rides in Studios if we're lucky. I wouldn't count out Nintendo World Store Orlando in CityWalk either.

So long as Universal is focused on full immersive lands and not a land with a hodgepodge of Nintendo IPs I don't see anything besides Pokemon and Zelda getting the time of day in terms of lands/rides . Luigi's Mansion presence is possible but only as an extension of Mario stuff. Maybe Animal Crossing but that discussion was had before and won't really go anywhere here based on opinions expressed lol. Gonna say don't think I would place Kirby nearly as high as you have, when it comes to game sales, general popularity I have seen of it in game spaces, in terms of ips nintendo pushes, or merch presence.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting how Universal responds beyond what they've said already:

I've been clear on my dislike for Potter and I'm a little giddy at the prospect of something else replacing it.

What if Universal decide to not build Potter Vol 3 and decide to just leave it blank for the time being and open the park with only 3 lands?
They're just covering their butts in case she says something else stupid. Potter isn't going anywhere

Honestly, I was not excited one bit for a 3rd HP land, that was modeled after Fantastic Beasts.
It felt like overkill and doesn't seen exciting.

IF they do replace it, Lord of The Rings would have been ideal.
I personally would have loved a Jurassic World land, like Beijing is getting, (but I know not many on here would share my enthusiasm).
But what about a multi themed land? Anybody have any ideas? Let's brainstorm!!
I mean, an Emerald City replica would be gorgeous. (Was suggested before?) Even if it wouldn't be the most exciting demanding theme.
A Tim Burton land?
Minecraft?

It's not the first time Universal had a change of hart and replaced one theme with another. They re-use ride concepts all the time for new attractions. I still hope Kong Fu Panda will have a presents somewhere at the Universal Resort.

So like Nintendo seems to have, are we expecting their to be gift shops outside of each land, dedicated to each land? It doesn’t seem so based on everything we’ve seen but not sure if I’ve missed it

So like Nintendo seems to have, are we expecting their to be gift shops outside of each land, dedicated to each land? It doesn’t seem so based on everything we’ve seen but not sure if I’ve missed it
I think the Wizarding World land does too, but not the other two, at least going by site plans.

I think the Wizarding World land does too, but not the other two, at least going by site plans.
Makes sense, their 2 biggest $$$$ makers. I know this is a fan perspective clearly but haven’t one outside each land would make each one feel kinda special in my eyes but I can see why they’d only truly need it for these 2, then all other merch can go in general EU stores.

Bummer.

After the tease of the short-lived horror shop in the T2/Bourne exit, I was really excited to see what Universal would do with an elaborately themed Classic Monsters store.
I mean , they’ll still be stores inside the land of course. I think the other two lands having an extra one outside may just be a crowd control thing. Plus, the main stores up front will have a mix of everything anyway too I’m sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.