USH: 50 Year Anniversary ideas | Inside Universal Forums

USH: 50 Year Anniversary ideas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 2, 2013
Arizona.
Now in 2014 universal will be 50 for the theme park as there is despicable me but what can universal do for 50 years i'll start here

*  Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, now here we go with the first thing of why they're doing this as they on't have enough time and it would have to be made till spring and second the problem with the sructure as they are trying to figure out how to do it.

*  Jurassic park Revamp: now the revamp is most likely going to happen because of two reasons number one: the fourth film is coming out as it would help with promoting the fourth movie and the second reason is that they might do it for making the 20 year aniversary early as hell by fixing the dinosaurs and using some new effects.

* Revenge of the Mummy upgrade: now this is one thing people want more with fixing the ride effects and refitting some areas like the quene line but there is a huge amount of outcry to have the original ending as i say universal like jurassic park will promote it for the mummy reboot the same year of jurassic park IV and theres that out of the way for the lower lot but i have one more thing for that area

* Harry potter preview building: now this is getting a little brought up by showing stuff like concepts videos and a full model of what the space will look like and i say that wold be kick ass for universal to do as replacing nbc universal exprience until the project is done or they can move nbc universal exprience to feature presentation with that i agree as it would work in the long run.

* New tram host: now i don't know if thats going to happen but for 50 years they should at least do something with the tour as that was the first attraction at the park until the 70's.

* A lot of construction walls!, now this is clearly a no brainer for harry potter as it will take up shrek, curious gorge and gibson. now why i'm not puting Water world on the list is that the contract ends in 2015. 

Thank you for reading this as i'm giving my take on whats going to happen and note its my idea so please be respectful on what i put into as i've took half of a hour on this

----Alex show: Theme Parks----

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE a Mummy upgrade! I've not heard anything about this reboot though, has it been announced? Is a complete remake of the series from what Brendan Frasier was in, or a whole new direction on the Mummy legend? I loved the first movie so I'm really curious about that. 

Jimmy Fallon grew on me, but I think a new host for the 50th anniversary of the theme park would be a good idea too. It's a very monumental anniversary and I think they have to do it right. I mean, Disney's 50th anniversary years back was enormous. The celebrations lasted for 3 years! We can't top what they did, but we have to do SOMETHING big for it. Even USH can't drop the ball on this one.

Reactions: BernardMesa
@Betty, yes the mummy film is announced as its going the be a reboot setting in the modern time so yes as the property is not getting a brandon frasier treatment and becoming a more darker film and i would love it.

I would LOVE a Mummy upgrade! I've not heard anything about this reboot though, has it been announced? Is a complete remake of the series from what Brendan Frasier was in, or a whole new direction on the Mummy legend? I loved the first movie so I'm really curious about that. 

Jimmy Fallon grew on me, but I think a new host for the 50th anniversary of the theme park would be a good idea too. It's a very monumental anniversary and I think they have to do it right. I mean, Disney's 50th anniversary years back was enormous. The celebrations lasted for 3 years! We can't top what they did, but we have to do SOMETHING big for it. Even USH can't drop the ball on this one.
Yeah, i wish Universal would do something spectacular like how they celebrated their 10th Anniversary.

Reactions: alexvstorace
yeah or mabye during the rumored jurassic park refurb at night they close the ride and have a watershow. once the ride reopens of course.

What I'd like is for Despicable Me to impress me (good luck Universal! ), Jurassic Park to get a proper refurb/update to coincide with the 4th movie, and most of all, I would've liked to see a new Studio Tour attraction open for the 50th anniversary. We're definitely getting more Studio Tour "attractions" but not this fast, although that would've been great.

A Mummy reboot would be fantastic, as short as it is, they can put so much more effort into the ride. I doubt we'll see this soon, it'll have to coincide with the new movie.

Ideally, I would've also liked a tribute to BTTF The Ride, ET and other lost favorites. Kinda like "here's a tribute to the last 50 years of the park"

This is what I'd love for them to do but won't happen:

1. Since USH has no room for a parade, they should create a big flashy show that could fit in Universal Plaza and be a show tribute to the park's history.

2. Close one side of The Simpson's and put back a limited run of BTTF The Ride as a tribute.

3. Install a bunch of ETs in the Mummy ride OR convert House of Horrors into an ET walk through and recreate a walk through version of the ride.

4. Run the collapsing bridge for the whole 50th event.

5. Install Dante's Peak set pieces back next to Fast and Furious

6. Put the old Burning Mansion somewhere on the lot

7. Put a static replica of the Original Kong animatronic in front of the current Kong OR I'm sure Universal has great footage of the Original Kong, so maybe they can project it for a limited time inside 360 3D

8. Make that old runaway train next to earthquake work again

9. Maybe have the rockslide come back

10. Make the Mummy tunnel the Avalanche tunnel again

11. In Shrek 4D's building, have a rotating show of all of USH's previous 3D shows (abridged T2, Rugrats, etc)

12. Some sort of Backdraft tribute

13. Have all the characters out more

14. In the Special Effects Stages show, I'd rotate the shows and have an abridged version of every previous show, or maybe just one mishmash of previous shows! Flintstones, Conan, Spiderman, Creature, Fievel, Beatlejuice, Fear Factor, Etc :)

I'm sure ill think of some more ;)

Reactions: alexvstorace
I'm kind of pessimistic that we'll see anything new - considering how Florida received all the hype for the studio's centennial. Doesn't seem fair, but what can you do.

I was hoping for at least some sort of acknowledgement throughout the park, but we didn't even get that. Just a few mentions on the Studio Tour and that was it.

Reactions: Alexshow.
^ That was a HUUUUUUGE disappointment...mind you we did get Transformers but that had nothing to do with the centennial. Sad that Florida got all the hype especially when you consider WE'RE the studio where it started and is continuing, etc. So I see why your scepticism is valid.

The reason why I think they WILL do something for the 50th is since theyll probably will have started Potter construction, the little 50th anniversary events and shows could be considered extra special attractions to make up for Potter construction.

*  Jurassic park Revamp: now the revamp is most likely going to happen because of two reasons number one: the fourth film is coming out as it would help with promoting the fourth movie and the second reason is that they might do it for making the 20 year aniversary early as hell by fixing the dinosaurs and using some new effects.
This will be interesting to see, even if it's a small change just to promote the film. I personally think the ride needs some sort of update, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they kept things the way they currently are.

* New tram host: now i don't know if thats going to happen but for 50 years they should at least do something with the tour as that was the first attraction at the park until the 70's.
I think they're fixated on Jimmy, but I would love to see someone like Ron Howard or even Steven Spielberg act as a host for the tour. Someone with gravitas within the industry that can bring some real insight to the tour. Jimmy is fine, but he does wear thin.

Thinking realistically, this is what I think they might do for the 50th:

-Despicable Me (Obviously)

-Jurassic Park re-do

-Some preview center for Harry Potter and possibly other future expansions

-A show of some sort in Universal plaza

-Possibly a new Studio Tour attraction themed to Jurassic Park.

-Having the collapsing bridge fully operational all year.

-New House of Horrors revamp

-An awesome year for Halloween Horror Nights :)

It would never happen but how cool would it be to walk the backlot for an extended tour
If you're willing to buy a pass, the VIP Experience during Halloween Horror Nights gives you a short backlot tour with you walking alongside your guide.

I have one more idea and then i'm going to ask a question

*Springfield: Now the real reason i put this onto the topic of 50 years is that orlandos is rumored to be very sucessful as for the fact that we may get a few things removed we might get what orlando has but a little compact. and that the shows ending next year so mabye.

Okay now jon can you tell us what you would like to see for the 50 year anniversary.

Reactions: Jon Fu
For some reason, I don't see us getting a Springfield expansion. I don't see it being worth Universal's time compared to USF. And we wouldn't get the flat ride, the spinner theyre getting. No room. So even though they can retheme Doc's Chicken, Cinnabon, etc into Springfield restaurants, I don't see them doing it. No way to fully advertise it without a new Spinner, they're popular restaurants as is, and with all the construction in our already tiny park, I don't see it being worth Universal's time or money.

Okay now jon can you tell us what you would like to see for the 50 year anniversary.
Personally, I'd love to see a nighttime show and park-wide banners celebrating the park's 50th anniversary. Plenty of street entertainment alongside buildings filled with props from the park's past. 

If that occurred, I'd be ecstatic.

^ I'd be ecstatic as well. Jon, what did you think of my idea from the April fools "announcement" for a 50th anniversary show in the Waterworld arena at night? Have it similar to (but smaller in scale to) World of Color, and Universal's "100 years of movie magic" show from Florida. Have the fountains, projectors and lasers be on a platform thats bellow the water during Waterworld, and then at night, raise it and show the Anniversary show and use some pyrotechnics. Mind you, we don't know how long we're keeping Waterworld, but I think it'd be an excellent use of the space at night. Have automated show with lasers and projections and limited pyrotechnics and no actors, and it'll reduce the number of waterworld shows but it could basically be a whole different show twice at night. I think it'd be cool :)