USH Price Increase! | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

USH Price Increase!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not sure about other Platinum Pass holders, but that would completely wipe away the value of that tier for me. That pass is already incredibly overpriced, and a add-on like that for lower tiers would render it almost worthless.

Agreed. Universal can't de-value the Platinum Pass by offering a parking add-on for lower tiers. So that got me thinking about a possible middle ground. We've been thinking about parking as an all-or-nothing, but what about offering parking vouchers or discounted parking?  This would give incentive to purchase the other pass types and increase attendance.

Here's a hypothetical pass structure with parking benefits:

• Platinum = free parking included 
  • Gold = two free parking vouchers
  • Replacement for CA Resident Plus = one free parking voucher

Alternatively, instead of parking vouchers, what about discounted parking for the lower tiers, e.g. $13 (i.e. $5 off regular parking rates)?

I don't know if they've considered this, but I'm just throwing out ideas since parking is such a important benefit when it comes to theme park annual passes. With this recent change, Universal has pretty much admitted that Annual Pass purchases and attendance have not met projections. And I still think they need to add benefits to the overpriced Platinum Pass. They can't lower the price, so adding benefits (*cough* front-of-line pass *cough*) is one way to make it more appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Citywalk will continue to suffer with the current price to park. I just think its kinda hilarious that they built a huge new parking structure that is more or less useless due to the lack of crowds they expected to bring in. The problem with USH is that its relying on the brand/name to sell... and while some give in, a lot of people won't. Parking prices are ridiculous, ticket prices are high, food prices are high (even for theme park standards), Merch is a bit pricey too (and some of it generic). Then you've got the APs...

The way everything is currently, USH is kinda catering to the rich. I love the park, but they need to get a reality check. How low does attendance need to become before they actually change their ways? It will be interesting to see how the crowds are this summer (especially when guests can go to other parks/places for less & get more).

Well Disney basically just claimed on an earnings call that the parks are starting to cater to an upscale crowd. So much of the recently-opened Town Center at Disney Springs is catering to this market.

I'm guessing Universal is slowly but surely heading in that direction as well. Sad to say. I do wish they would start offering discounted parking.

Disney Springs isn't for upscale people. They just say that to look innocent.

Disney World has a ridiculous amount of Brazilian tourists. They're loathed by the entire population there. They're rude, obnoxious, loud and travel in large groups. But they spend a lot of money. Why? Because of their grey market.

http://thebrazilbusiness.com/article/grey-market-of-goods-in-brazil

Brazil's import laws basically triple the cost of anything in their country if they're not manufactured there. It's designed to help inspire companies to build factories, helping make jobs, but it really just creates a weird economic mess. People can fly to Disney World, and on their last day, buy a few iPads and iPhones to take back with them, and sell them back home to cover the entire cost of the trip.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2013/08/14/211737003/brazilians-flood-to-u-s-on-massive-shopping-sprees

Yup. As long as you buy some expensive goods that are easily resold back home, you can essentially get a free trip to Disney World.

So Disney wanted a slice of those funds. Downtown Disney never really had the kinds of stuff that Brazilians spring for. That's why they added all those stores. No one in their right mind buys that junk on vacation. Those are calculated decisions you make. Unless you just intend on selling it when you get back home to make a hefty profit.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I'm aware of the Brazilians (watching them be threatened to be kicked out of IOA last year after trying to climb out of a Popeye raft was hilarious) I was mostly referring to the high dining, the shopping is also a bit more upscale than prior as well. This, combined with the recent high marked events (After Hours especially) are influenced by Shanghai, but you can tell that this is not a ship they want to abandon anytime soon.

(First post!!!) Anyway, I've been a pass holder for eight years, have always enjoyed the park, but I still think it's crazy that if you spend $300 and purchase the Gold Annual Pass (which I did), you still have black-out dates. I love the Harry Potter series, own a fair amount of merchandise, have re-read the books a countless amount of times, but I still don't think that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an attraction that I need to visit over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I love the land and think that it's an excellent addition to the park, but it only felt really special when I went for the first time, and then the others just never felt the same. I actually find myself at Waterworld or the Lower Lot more often than Forbidden Journey or Hogsmeade in general, as I typically finish most of Harry Potter within one hour of arriving. I just don't feel as if Universal should be pricing themselves so high for an attraction that doesn't feel timeless (at least to me). Anyone else feel the same for this reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually find myself at Waterworld or the Lower Lot more often than Forbidden Journey or Hogsmeade in general, as I typically finish most of Harry Potter within one hour of arriving.

I've been fortunate enough to visit all three Wizarding World's already, so I usually follow the same path. It's a nice land, but it's been replicated across three locations with precision. They're all so similar that I sometimes find myself zoning everything out when I'm inside.

I'm curious what others think about repeat visits and whether Potter is worth the pass increases.

Reactions: Dylan Beck
@Jon  Is there a really big difference with the other Wizarding Worlds?... or are they all fairly the same. I'm curious since I've only been to the Wizarding World at USH.

@Jon  Is there a really big difference with the other Wizarding Worlds?... or are they all fairly the same. I'm curious since I've only been to the Wizarding World at USH.

If you're a fan, you might be able to spot some differences. It's more akin to a carbon copy of Terminator 2: 3D versus say the Jurassic Park attractions across all the Universal parks.

Reactions: Dylan Beck
Yeah.

USH's FJ is in 3D, lacks on-ride photo, a few plussed-up scenes and doesn't have the Dragons Challenge.

UO has the twin coasters, on-ride photo, and obviously a functional Hogwarts Express to the new land

USJ FJ's is in 3D and has a walkthrough of the castle.

But if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. Right now the 3D isn't perfectly implemented. The first warp portal animation isn't in 3D yet, for reasons that are beyond me.

Reactions: Ryan and Dylan Beck
^That "warp portal" you were talking about was in 3D when I was on it yesterday. 

Speaking of which, does anyone know why the changed out the hallways scene for the green warp in Florida's rendition? I personally liked the former better. 

Speaking of which, does anyone know why the changed out the hallways scene for the green warp in Florida's rendition? I personally liked the former better. 

It is recreating the "Floo Network" which is what you/your benches use to transport to the Astronomy Tower. I feel dirty for knowing this level of Potter facts. But yea, the brick hallways weren't as "magical" or "wizard-like". Orlando had the green Floo Network projection imagery first.

Here is my idea for a simpler pass program.

• Only one pass type
  • $199
  • Full year
  • Only blackout Christmas break
  • Free parking Monday thru Friday