Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 249 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I even heard trough the 'static "floating" mountain grape vine' that Disney has a scheme in place to sell off parts of their rockwork from Avatar land during an exclusive diner party for only $499.- in the unlike event that the area isn't profitable enough. It's done by Frank Brough so I'm sure it's worth at least double the price. ;)
Yep, Limited Edition Pins, "Floating Away Forever" Edition. $29.99 ea.

Reactions: tielo and Mad Dog
I'm looking to take my girlfriend in June for her birthday and wanted to know if anybody has heard anything about AP discounts or if Universal will be added a new AP that includes admission. Also have any of you heard anything about single day tickets to just Volcano Bay?

I'm looking to take my girlfriend in June for her birthday and wanted to know if anybody has heard anything about AP discounts or if Universal will be added a new AP that includes admission. Also have any of you heard anything about single day tickets to just Volcano Bay?
No word yet.

I've been following this thread for many months... Never commented before but uhhhh how has nobody brought up the fact that .. yes the volcano is awesome but then all the slides near the road with minimal
theming.... how tacky .. and you can't hide that with trees the slides are way too tall. seems like they only focused on the volcano and said sh*t we need more slides just place them by the road... I expected WAY WAY WAY more from universal... Volcano is soooooo awesome the rest is so tacky... how come this doesn't bother anyone?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pulling my hair out!!! I'm so confused

Reactions: SeventyOne
I've been following this thread for many months... Never commented before but uhhhh how has nobody brought up the fact that .. yes the volcano is awesome but then all the slides near the road with minimal
theming.... how tacky .. and you can't hide that with trees the slides are way too tall. seems like they only focused on the volcano and said sh*t we need more slides just place them by the road... I expected WAY WAY WAY more from universal... Volcano is soooooo awesome the rest is so tacky... how come this doesn't bother anyone?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pulling my hair out!!! I'm so confused

I think I need to readdress something.

It may look tacky now, but you are criticizing something that isn't even done yet. We will see this park get finalized and ready by May 25th, and It'd be wise to give at-least a month after that and then we can decide whether it looks tacky or if it makes sense.

You can not hide everything from the guest. This is something that has to be address and that we need to be open minded and to at-least give the Suspension of disbelief in mind. Hulk can be seen from many miles, and you can see the outside world very well at many points. I think we need to keep that in mind, as they also don't have the luxury of having a forest all around them (Looking at you Disney) that can make sure that it doesn't feel like you are being taken back to reality.

This has been brought up on the forums, sometimes on here but is buried or is on other threads when the times are slow enough for that to occur with not as many issues.

Could we see the way they handle immersive theming changed for I-Drive? I would expect it; as there is enough land there that would warrant it being fine, but this is a different situation.

I sure hope they can pull it off... and having all that open metal structure work .. I hope to god they put rock work or something around it ... i just feel they could of been way more creative.. Looks like they blew all their money on the volcano and ignored the rest.... just my own thoughts but it makes me sad .... they COULD have the best water park in the world just don't think that will happen. But they get 1000000 points for that volcano.... and all the land is so ... flat .... needs depth and hills and huge rock work everywhere .... idk I'm just a little disappointed but you are right i can't say much until its actually opened... but how are you going to hide all those big slides ... put huts around it? idk !!!!! grrr

Reactions: Lucas C
I sure hope they can pull it off... and having all that open metal structure work .. I hope to god they put rock work or something around it ... i just feel they could of been way more creative.. Looks like they blew all their money on the volcano and ignored the rest.... just my own thoughts but it makes me sad .... they COULD have the best water park in the world just don't think that will happen. But they get 1000000 points for that volcano.... and all the land is so ... flat .... needs depth and hills and huge rock work everywhere .... idk I'm just a little disappointed but you are right i can't say much until its actually opened... but how are you going to hide all those big slides ... put huts around it? idk !!!!! grrr

Universal has less than five months. It's going to be a close race, no matter what; but I think we need to keep in mind that Universal has had short timelines with a few particular things and to think that they were done that fast is remarkable in many ways (especially considering how slow Disney can get).

I don't doubt their skills, as they have proven more than enough that they do great with short timelines.

Reactions: Dan B and Mike S
Welcome to OU.:cheers:......and don't worry. there will be tons of trees and other lush landscaping that will hide everything they don't want seen. And what you do see will be there to create the dynamic action packed atmosphere they want the park to resonate with. Things that show, like the Hulk track at IOA with the coasters buzzing through, are there for a reason. They want the park to feel alive with dynamism. That creates a special ambiance of KINETIC energy excitement. Universal has a different philosophy than Disney. They've always emphasized thrill as the number one factor, and they like to emphasize it front & center.

Last edited:
Thanks! ... And yes I have always loved Universal for the thrill. It will be here before we know it .... Cant wait to see the all the details that will be going in at a rapid-fire pace soon. These are going to be interesting next couple of months

I have heard there are AP options in ticketing systems for a VB tier. How they'll roll that out I'm not sure. I'm willing to bet AP will get discounted one day tickets (I have no inside info on that just a hunch) for a year or two.

They are not going to hide the slides. They WANT you to see the slides.

And from the top of the load platforms you will see turkey lake rd. and the Sand Lake I-4 exit. There is not a whole lot they can do about those.

I agreed with you when you say that the land is "flat" !
I've expect more, kind of hills, cave under some paths and stuff like that !
Some multilevel area !!

From the ground level you can't see much of the outside world. Most of the attention will be directed toward the Volcano.

Realistically there only about 4 slides that are high enough on the perimeter to really be obviously on the edge of the real world and viewing roads and such. One pair of those is meant to be themed to a setup amid "unusually tall trees" which hasn't shown up physically yet, so there's likely some consideration for the view that we just haven't seen yet.

They are not going to hide the slides. They WANT you to see the slides.

I agree seeing slides is probably the right call for this particular execution . But you can make a really beautiful park by hiding the slides. If you check out what they are doing with the new Cirque de Soleil water park, it looks stunning. All the tubes are covered in foliage, and almost seems part of the landscape.

Disney has a uneven way in theming rides. For every 7DMT they have a Goofy's Barnstormer, Primeval Whirl or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. All off the shell, small coasters that are sparsely themed or put in a simple box.

Universal, most of the time, puts the ride up front. They'll theme it but won't hide it. It's fairly consistent and they are very successful in doing it that way. I think there is an excitement and joy in seeing the slides, I know what I'm into when choosing that ride/slide. But I don't want them to sit on a concrete parking lot but in a well themed environment. I think Universal strikes that balance quite well.
Another reason they couldn't build one mountain to slam on the slides on is that they decided to create a kind of spoke and wheel design for their water park, with the volcano as Cinderella's castle in the middle and the rides in themed lands around them paired with food and drink options. As far as I know this is unique, at least for the Orlando market.

I kind of agree with the article, but I think it applies to any new park system in general. The first few days will have kinks & problems to work out.

Look at Gringgotts at opening, it was 6 hours+ lines with the ride broken.

I think the slides being so visible, makes the park look like a water park. Which Universal wants to not call it. They keep calling it a 3rd theme park, but it looks like a water park visibly other than the cool volcano.

Universal made the decision to make the slides easy to find. It might not be the correct choice or matter, but it's the one they made.
It looks too much like Aquatica to me, which I deem as tacky. Now obviously Krakatau sets it apart from Aquatica, but point still stands.

I much prefer the way Disney built their water parks and how they Uber-themed the slides so they blended in with the surroundings.

Doesn't mean I won't enjoy VB, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.