WB Studios - A Festival of Frights | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

WB Studios - A Festival of Frights

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's fine if you liked it, but it objectively wasn't a very well-constructed narrative (i.e. the building blocks of what makes a movie a movie). The bad reviews/reactions were fairly warranted and substantiated. The fact that it made a ton of money isn't surprising, either - it enjoyed an expensive marketing campaign, a built-in franchise familiarity, and the benefit of deeply entrenched religious iconography.

McDonald's burgers can taste good, and they sell millions. Doesn't mean it's great or better than a sirloin steak.

Well I hate Mcdonald's so I take offence to that analogy. ;)

The only reason a lot of the GP didn't like film was because it wasn't "as scary" as they thought it was going to be. Not because it didn't meet your standard of a well-constructed narrative.

Critics in general HATE horror films, it's beneath them. So who cares what they think.

The question shouldn't be, is this event better than HHN?

But....Is it better than last year? If the answer is yes, then it's a success.

Like I said, take everything I said with an absolute grain of salt. I watched the videos full knowing I essentially already lost hope on the event, which means anything I say after that will be (admittedly) bias in nature. And I was totally being tongue in cheek about the Adam West Batmobile, if that wasn't obvious lol. Glad you found a pic with the scarezone going, and I agreed before -- it DOES look cool. I would say A LOT of the things LOOK very cool, and that's part of the problem, is the idea is often better than the execution.

Speaking about the Nun real quick, Fallow hit the nail on the head. Watch ScreenJunkies' latest Box Office video they released on Monday. Regardless, horror will do well, even if critics hate a movie. Even if audiences hate a movie. Horror has such a devoted fan base. And audiences have hated the movie, just check the audience score on RottenTomatoes or user score on Metacritic, IMDB, any film user website. The iconography is why that film is doing well. Sure you can like the movie, you have every right to, just like anyone who goes to this event and loves it. Can't take that away from anybody and I don't think anybody should try to convince them of otherwise, either.

The question shouldn't be, is this event better than HHN?

But....Is it better than last year? If the answer is yes, then it's a success.
This would be a good point IF they didn't have a price point higher than some HHN nights. Imagine the same analogy of McDonalds. Imagine paying $20 for a burger at McDonalds saying it's a brand new burger with new ingredients and everything, you take a bite, and it's not even a regular Quarter Pounder McDonalds burger, it's like a small, flimsy White Castle burger instead. So yes, if I'm paying the same money as HHN, it absolutely deserves to be compared to HHN. And that's been my issue the whole time -- they shouldn't have that price point unless they can back up the quality.

Just want to say about all the media outlets giving glowing reviews... look at the wording. In general, they can't be super negative anyway, because they'd want to be invited back the next year and if they're too honest, they see it as a risk. But everyone is saying they had a "fun time" or giving very general but vague praise. Ofcourse they had fun, or even enjoyed it, they went for FREE and got to hang out with a ton of their media friends, are getting more exposure to their site, and being treated very well by WB. Most of them live in the area and this barely put a dent in their schedule. I'm sure if I went, I'd say I loved the experience also.

And if in 5 years time, they surpass HHN in quality, attendence, and everything else, I will gladly eat my words. But this is assuming HHN doesn't evolve or grow in the mean time as well, which would be silly. I'll take any trigger scare, or pop out box, or black wall over whatever that Conjuring maze was. How many years they've been around is irrelvent also. If they wanna join the big leagues, they have to be on the same level. It's like the entertainment business, I'm not going to hire you or take a chance on you unless you're just as good or even better than the people I have now already making movies. WB and Universal should both know this, they literally make movies and that's their hiring model.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris.g
i find this event eh. some things were good like the spectacular set design and some of the costumes [joker,freddy]looked awesome, heck the acting in some mazes were good [looking at you arkham, props to you]. but some things were not so good, the acting in conjuring, that pennywise mask, each house having a tour guide, and each house being super short. if this was $40 dollars then it will be reasonable. but not 80. now if the actors can step up there game then this could be a awesome event. but for now it's a
6.9/10

There are a lot of great performers, especially with Arkham & Nightmare..but.

I think they're trying to be something they're not.

I think, if this continues forward; they should focus more on an "experience" in a way, as opposed to being scary. But that's just my opinion, IAH.

I'm hearing many mixed reviews (although mostly negative), but casting too much judgement when 1) it was media night, where things are still being worked out, 2) reviewing off a video without actually being there is, to me, not really meaningful, and 3) this is their 3rd year, as opposed to the gazillion years HHN and KFB have been doing it.

If you want to complain about that price for what you get, that could be more fair. It is entirely possible they overpriced it if some of the complaints I'm hearing are true. But I'm also willing to give them some time to work things out. There are countless stories of shows/movies/events that are not well received at first, but eventually find their footing over time. I mean... Rocky Horror Picture Show, anyone? That movie bombed when it first came out, let's not forget that.

And if they never end up finding their footing, then the event will die out in a few years, and we all move on. Either way, I think it's good for another studio to give some competition to the market as a whole.

I got feedback from someone that went to last nights employee preview. They are a GP type of HHN goer and definitely not an enthusiast by any means. They say WB didn't cut it and it was not worth the price (and yeah it was free for them). They like going to HHN much better. I was looking forward to checking it out, but I am still on the fence.

In regards to the acting problems, I'm not surprised. The acting was laughable last year, which is weird because it's a studio. Are they hiring a few good character actors and the filling it with extras who belong nowhere near acting?

i find this event eh. some things were good like the spectacular set design and some of the costumes [joker,freddy]looked awesome, heck the acting in some mazes were good [looking at you arkham, props to you]. but some things were not so good, the acting in conjuring, that pennywise mask, each house having a tour guide, and each house being super short. if this was $40 dollars then it will be reasonable. but not 80. now if the actors can step up there game then this could be a awesome event. but for now it's a
6.9/10

Nice, so you actually went to the event right?

Like I said, take everything I said with an absolute grain of salt. I watched the videos full knowing I essentially already lost hope on the event, which means anything I say after that will be (admittedly) bias in nature. And I was totally being tongue in cheek about the Adam West Batmobile, if that wasn't obvious lol. Glad you found a pic with the scarezone going, and I agreed before -- it DOES look cool. I would say A LOT of the things LOOK very cool, and that's part of the problem, is the idea is often better than the execution.

Speaking about the Nun real quick, Fallow hit the nail on the head. Watch ScreenJunkies' latest Box Office video they released on Monday. Regardless, horror will do well, even if critics hate a movie. Even if audiences hate a movie. Horror has such a devoted fan base. And audiences have hated the movie, just check the audience score on RottenTomatoes or user score on Metacritic, IMDB, any film user website. The iconography is why that film is doing well. Sure you can like the movie, you have every right to, just like anyone who goes to this event and loves it. Can't take that away from anybody and I don't think anybody should try to convince them of otherwise, either.

This would be a good point IF they didn't have a price point higher than some HHN nights. Imagine the same analogy of McDonalds. Imagine paying $20 for a burger at McDonalds saying it's a brand new burger with new ingredients and everything, you take a bite, and it's not even a regular Quarter Pounder McDonalds burger, it's like a small, flimsy White Castle burger instead. So yes, if I'm paying the same money as HHN, it absolutely deserves to be compared to HHN. And that's been my issue the whole time -- they shouldn't have that price point unless they can back up the quality.

Just want to say about all the media outlets giving glowing reviews... look at the wording. In general, they can't be super negative anyway, because they'd want to be invited back the next year and if they're too honest, they see it as a risk. But everyone is saying they had a "fun time" or giving very general but vague praise. Ofcourse they had fun, or even enjoyed it, they went for FREE and got to hang out with a ton of their media friends, are getting more exposure to their site, and being treated very well by WB. Most of them live in the area and this barely put a dent in their schedule. I'm sure if I went, I'd say I loved the experience also.

And if in 5 years time, they surpass HHN in quality, attendence, and everything else, I will gladly eat my words. But this is assuming HHN doesn't evolve or grow in the mean time as well, which would be silly. I'll take any trigger scare, or pop out box, or black wall over whatever that Conjuring maze was. How many years they've been around is irrelvent also. If they wanna join the big leagues, they have to be on the same level. It's like the entertainment business, I'm not going to hire you or take a chance on you unless you're just as good or even better than the people I have now already making movies. WB and Universal should both know this, they literally make movies and that's their hiring model.

Here's the thing though. The price point for HHN is irrelevant to me because it is suicide to not get the front of the line pass. No way I'm waiting 1-2 hours per maze. So I'm still shelling out north of $150. I'm not an LA local, but live 5 hours away. HHN has so many damn people that in order for it to be an enjoyable experience I have to upgrade to the FOTLP.

The appeal of HMH is that the capacity should be reduced. Teens have to be accompanied by parents, unlike HHN. I just got a regular ticket for $76. Granted, it's not cheap but this event still looks better than anything you will find in most of the country.

Now if I end up waiting 1-2 hours per maze for HMH, then yes I won't be a happy camper. Hopefully no more than 30-40 mins.

I agree about the media preview reviews and how they may be biased. I'll wait until tomorrow to see the GP reaction. I already bought my ticket, but if the event sucks then I just won't go next year unless they truly up their game.

My point still stands about internet warriors dismissing this event based on video. From what I've been reading, this event is more about atmosphere vs constant scares. Set details vs jump scares every 5 seconds. I'll reserve my judgement until I attend in person.

Reactions: Rideguy70
"The price point for HHN is irrelevant to me because it is suicide to not get the front of the line pass. No way I'm waiting 1-2 hours per maze."

If you plan correctly and can do a Thursday or Sunday night there is no need for a FOTLP. The most I waited for a maze last Thursday was 15 min.

I've come to find, you really can judge things from a video. I've seen plenty of things and said "omg that looks amazing" and vice versa and have gone to the event to have the same exact opinion with a 10% variation either way depending on interactivity. Nobody gets up in arms over saying Orlando's Poltergeist looks like one of the best mazes of all time even just from a video and reviews later match that. It's usually the events that suck that like to have that card pulled.

^I have to respectfully disagree with that. I actually do get a bit up in arms about people saying Orlando's Poltergeist is the best ever if they are only watching the video. As someone with decades of performing experience, both on the stage and behind the scenes, a video of an event really cannot covey the feeling, energy, experience, dimensional sound, and peripheral vision of the real deal.

To me, it's a bit of the same thinking about watching a POV of a roller coaster video. You get an idea of the experience, but actually being on it is often a totally different thing.

"The price point for HHN is irrelevant to me because it is suicide to not get the front of the line pass. No way I'm waiting 1-2 hours per maze."

If you plan correctly and can do a Thursday or Sunday night there is no need for a FOTLP. The most I waited for a maze last Thursday was 15 min.

I think that's true, but if he lives 5 hours away, coming on a Thursday or Sunday night may not be possible. Would you drive 5 hours to an evening event if you had to work the next day? And not everybody has the luxury to take a day off work.

Reactions: SOCAL110
If you've been on a thousand roller coasters, you know exactly when in the video there's hang time, zero g's, adrenaline pumping going up the ramp, air and wind in your face, etc.. All it takes is a little imagination. You gonna tell me that you have to physically be on this ride to give your opinion on it?

Are all the people commenting below that it looks like the worst dark ride ever wrong? Not even saying "looks," that it just flat out is? Would you be willing to give the benefit of the doubt, make the trip there, just so you can actually ride it and have a "valid" opinion? Would you pay even $5 for this? A $1?

Reactions: acquaz
I think that's true, but if he lives 5 hours away, coming on a Thursday or Sunday night may not be possible. Would you drive 5 hours to an evening event if you had to work the next day? And not everybody has the luxury to take a day off work.
The point still stands considering you can go on a Friday or Saturday and still get everything done if you do Early Entry. I've done it, we've all done it, dozens and hundreds of times. You could also go in November and pay $40 instead of $80.

There's no way you can gauge the full, true-life experience from a video. You just can't.

You can, however, get a decent sense of an experience's quality (or lack thereof). It can provide broad strokes impressions, just not a finer understanding.
100% agree. That's why I always say "this looks" instead of say "this is." Heck, even in a review of things I have gone through, I preface and end with "ehhh but that's just my opinion/how I feel/what I saw." Regardless, I'm still hoping someone comes out and says half the actors were missing from WB, because I think that could make all the difference and would/could definitely change alot of my opinion about the event as a whole.