WB Studios - A Festival of Frights | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

WB Studios - A Festival of Frights

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Considering the production quality of this years event and the tickets prices, I'm sure they'll make a profit.....:lol:

I expect a "Batman vs Superman" scenario for this event, and not just because it's Warner Brothers.

Its selling out the first couple of days and is guaranteed a profit on the name recognition alone, but those prices matched with those production values means that I expect attendance to level off quickly. Theyll make a profit, but it'll probably be on the disappointing side, especially considering what Knotts and HHN make.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I (largely) agree with Wesker. An event really can't be judged until you experience it at full capacity for yourself.

If you actually attend, and still feel this way, that's one thing. If you're upset about the price, that's one thing. But it's a bit tough for me to swallow that people already are convinced it sucks based on hearsay and videos of a preview night. :/

I mean, I feel it was just a few months ago people on this very board were convinced this year was going to bomb at HHN, and were super critical of the properties. That Blumhouse was going to be the worst house ever, and the line up was weak. While it may not be the greatest year ever, it's not the gloom and doom many seem to have thought.

I also don't quite buy the argument that just because they're a big name studio and there's a lot of haunt experience already out there, it should be a home run right off the bat. It's a new space, which has it's own unique limitations. And for all we know, they may have a different point of view about haunts to distinguish themselves that they may not have fully refined yet (I am hearing reports the haunts are more "atmospheric" than jump scare... perhaps that's intentional).

Or maybe it is all a big misstep on the part of WB. I'm guessing there'll be things I like, and things I won't. But either way, I'm going to keep an open mind and see for myself on Saturday.

California is the haunt capital of the world. SOCAL is the mecca. I just think you locals are a bit spoiled if you think this event "sucks" based on videos. You're perspective is a bit skewed.

For goodness sake, look at a typical maze from Cedar Point HalloWeekends. A top 20 North American park owned by the same company that owns KBF.

Concept looks cool enough. But, come on.

I know this is not really a good baromoter, but vloggers have started to upload the HMH event on Youtube. I'm avoiding seeing the mazes because I want to see it in person. The comments I'm reading are overwhelmingly positive.

The GP wants to see the Anabelle doll. They want to see Pennywise. They want to go inside the Neibolt house. HMH delivers that. I predict the event will be a success, but perhaps the price point my be lowered next year if there are enough complaints.

Though I don't think the main demographic is the same as HHN, which are teenagers. This seems like the target market is young adults, who tend to have a little more capital than teens. The event is marketed more as a party, with the classic studio tour with a Halloween twist, and some cool mazes. I'm happy with that.

Reactions: Wesker69
IMPORTANT POINT: The beloved Warner Bros studio tour with it's very high approval rating is $68 on-site & $65 online. I took it years ago and loved it.

So for $10-$20 more we get live music, some cool mazes, and the ability to hang out in the backlot until 1 AM which itself is a draw for me and many others. This is in addition to the studio tour with the Halloween twist. Sure, maybe the tour isn't 2 hours, but you still get a tour the studio that has produced some of the greatest horror films of all time. Not really bad value when you look at it from that perspective.

Reactions: Wesker69
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I (largely) agree with Wesker. An event really can't be judged until you experience it at full capacity for yourself.

If you actually attend, and still feel this way, that's one thing. If you're upset about the price, that's one thing. But it's a bit tough for me to swallow that people already are convinced it sucks based on hearsay and videos of a preview night. :/

I mean, I feel it was just a few months ago people on this very board were convinced this year was going to bomb at HHN, and were super critical of the properties. That Blumhouse was going to be the worst house ever, and the line up was weak. While it may not be the greatest year ever, it's not the gloom and doom many seem to have thought.

I also don't quite buy the argument that just because they're a big name studio and there's a lot of haunt experience already out there, it should be a home run right off the bat. It's a new space, which has it's own unique limitations. And for all we know, they may have a different point of view about haunts to distinguish themselves that they may not have fully refined yet (I am hearing reports the haunts are more "atmospheric" than jump scare... perhaps that's intentional).

Or maybe it is all a big misstep on the part of WB. I'm guessing there'll be things I like, and things I won't. But either way, I'm going to keep an open mind and see for myself on Saturday.

You may not be able to get the whole picture, but you can definitely see if the event is worth the money from videos. As an Orlando HHN visitor, that event is not worth the money. Period.

Then again, neither is HHN Hollywood.

I love what this thread has turned into, buahahaha

I'm assuming you're a local? Dude, I'm not going to drop lots of money for hotel, transportation, food, and tickets just to experience the event in 2 hours during the day. I want to get my money's worth and stay until 2 AM! Remember I'm not a local and rarely get a chance to come to LA.

Also, I use my early entry time to go to Harry Potter since they unfortunately have that part closed during HHN.

Completely OT from all the convo going on now, but actually, I usually finish the event around 10:30 (although I do know people who will be determined to finish by like 8:30, as you mention). This year, I finished at 1:30. Then, any time left over is to hit rides and get repeats on mazes I didn't like (to give them a second chance) and the one maze I loved (just to see if it was luck my first go around). So I always, always, always stay until 2! Although every year there's that one friend who wants to go home early and it's always a firm NAH. But yeah, definitely HP is a deal breaker on my idea if that's what you're here for, can't blame ya for wanting to get a ride in on that. If you want any other tips to maximize your time, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: ush.hacker
I love what this thread has turned into, buahahaha

Completely OT from all the convo going on now, but actually, I usually finish the event around 10:30 (although I do know people who will be determined to finish by like 8:30, as you mention). This year, I finished at 1:30. Then, any time left over is to hit rides and get repeats on mazes I didn't like (to give them a second chance) and the one maze I loved (just to see if it was luck my first go around). So I always, always, always stay until 2! Although every year there's that one friend who wants to go home early and it's always a firm NAH. But yeah, definitely HP is a deal breaker on my idea if that's what you're here for, can't blame ya for wanting to get a ride in on that. If you want any other tips to maximize your time, feel free to PM me!

Thanks man!

You may not be able to get the whole picture, but you can definitely see if the event is worth the money from videos. As an Orlando HHN visitor, that event is not worth the money. Period.

Then again, neither is HHN Hollywood.

Other than HHN, Orlando is SUPER LAME when it comes to haunts. The majority of the parks are geared towards the kiddos.

I would rather be in the haunt capital of America, than be stuck in the swamps with 1 great Halloween event.

Other than HHN, Orlando is SUPER LAME when it comes to haunts. The majority of the parks are geared towards the kiddos.

I would rather be in the haunt capital of America, than be stuck in the swamps with 1 great Halloween event.

I mean I only go to HHN Orlando for a weekend. That’s good enough for me

Thanks man!

Why does it bother you so much if someone prefers Orlando HHN ? It has been voted best Halloween event so it definetely has acclaim.

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
Why does it bother you so much if someone prefers Orlando HHN ? It has been voted best Halloween event so it definetely has acclaim.

I don't have a problem with it. I took issue with his dismissive attitude of USH HHN & HMH, just because it's not Orlando HHN.

I mean I only go to HHN Orlando for a weekend. That’s good enough for me

Yes, because that's all you have.

Yes, because that's all you have.

I feel like we are losing something here.

I haven't been to Orlando this year, neither Hollywood. I am not exactly that lucky of an individual that I can immediately drop everything I'm doing, and grab a plane and/or train to do some Horrah.

And to be honest, HHN Orlando & Hollywood is not, nor should not; be the end all-be-all. Especially to when there are various offerings on both coasts that aren't Universal's.
__

My beef with Horror Made Here, lies to that they are trying to be scary, when in reality; they should be using the performers to their best talents.

I hope this year is a success, but I don't want to see them force themselves to being scary or entirely centered on the art of the scare.

Uhhh, Ominous Descent, Mortem Manor, A Petrified Forest?

I'm not trying to start a side flame war... I'm honestly curious... are those haunts any good? The only one I've heard of at all is Mortem Manor, and even then, I've heard mixed things.

That said, the point I believe trying to be made is that SoCal has a TON of very constantly strong, alternative haunts (HHN, KSF, DH, RoT, Haunted Hayride, Fright Fest, Creep, Sinister Pointe, Delusion, Into the Dark, Ghost Train, 17th Door, Wicked Lit... not to mention many, many impressive home haunts). And now WB is added to that list as well. That's now 14 very strong haunts that I was able to list just off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. Seems to be way more than Orlando has.

In a strange way, I think that makes it a bit easier for Orlando. They can do anything they want, and for the most part, no one will say, "Hey, that's just like [insert local haunt here] less than an hour away." Not to mention the fact they seem to have a bigger budget.

Out here, while it's great to have so many options, that means to succeed, they all need to find a way to distinguish themselves without looking like they're copying someone else. It presents it's own challenges as well as interesting creative choices... some of which work, and some of which don't. We'll have to see where WB fares on that spectrum over time.

I think it's interesting to remember that Hollywood HHN didn't even succeed the first time out. They tried it for a couple of years, then stopped. (Still wished I could've seen that Clive Barker Lost Souls maze... and wish they could find a way to use Clive Barker again.) Second time was the charm for them.

Reactions: SOCAL110

I haven't been to Orlando this year, neither Hollywood. I am not exactly that lucky of an individual that I can immediately drop everything I'm doing, and grab a plane and/or train to do some Horrah.

And to be honest, HHN Orlando & Hollywood is not, nor should not; be the end all-be-all. Especially to when there are various offerings on both coasts that aren't Universal's.
__

My beef with Horror Made Here, lies to that they are trying to be scary, when in reality; they should be using the performers to their best talents.

I hope this year is a success, but I don't want to see them force themselves to being scary or entirely centered on the art of the scare.
I agree completely. As somebody who really enjoyed their studio tour, I think that the ideal path forward for this is intimacy (strong interactions with the actors) and high levels of theatrics (something more impressive than scary)

I agree completely. As somebody who really enjoyed their studio tour, I think that the ideal path forward for this is intimacy (strong interactions with the actors) and high levels of theatrics (something more impressive than scary)

I highly agree, and to be honest; Conjuring and especially Arkham from judging media night; has some amazing actors in there.

I would be perfectly fine with Warner Bros. taking a singular IP, and making something completely immersive with it.

I think this is a case of fixing something that isn't broken.

I guess I just feel like we aren't watching the same videos. The Conjuring Sharp video was brutal to watch. The actors are talented enough and doing the work, but the environments are hacky and have almost no genuine scars (or even builds in tension!) The best trick - recreating the Nun painting - loses all its bite when the performer comes out and guests just... stand there, watching. It's bad.

It comes back to the guided actor thing. I don't think it works outside some sort of introductory preshow element. Shuttle us in and let the scare actors do their work, otherwise you're just watching some iffy community theater in vaguely spooky environments.

It comes back to the guided actor thing. I don't think it works outside some sort of introductory preshow element. Shuttle us in and let the scare actors do their work, otherwise you're just watching some iffy community theater in vaguely spooky environments.

I've never done the guided tour haunt, but I'm going with an open mind.

I would presume there are pros and cons to both formats. My primary issue with the self-guided tour is that if you have someone in front of you, it pretty much weakens the maze because you can see the scares happen before you. It can almost ruin the experience. Another drawback is the dreaded "conga-line' where a maze gets backed up and you become stuck and the maze is no longer fun.

On the positive, if you get to be the first in the pack, it is an amazing experience. I recall that happened during the 2016 Halloween maze and it was really awesome. It turned out to be my favorite maze a lot due to that reason.

I can see the drawbacks to a guided tour, but I also see how scares can be better prepared and make it a more communal experience. As stated before, I'll reserve my judgement until I experience it first-hand.

Reactions: Rideguy70

__

Correct. My attraction to HMH was because it WASN'T trying to be HHN. For example, when I found out that they were going to have representation of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane," I was thrilled. A cult classic that no other haunt will be touching.

Also, the laid-back, party atmosphere on the backlot where you can drink alcohol was very appealing to me. When I went to HHN in 2016, alcohol was prohibited inside the parks. I believe that has changed now though?

All I'm saying is that HMH can meet a very specific market niche of having atmospheric haunts with a Halloween-centered studio tour catering to an older audience and it will be a successful event.