What do you shoot with? | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah my Tamron 75-300mm is one of their lower end lenses also and wanted a 300mm lens without killing my wallet lol. I had the Sony 55-200mm but wanted something with a little more reach specifically for using at AK on Kilimanjaro or situations like that.

I ended up with getting a Sony DSLR pretty much because thats all I ever used with Point and Shoot cameras, so I pretty much jumped in head first without much knowledge of anything. I did read reviews on the A390 before I bought it and seemed like it was the perfect camera to learn on and at the perfect price. After a few months of owning that one I knew I wanted something better so I sold it on Ebay and bought the A55. For the money the A55,57 and 65 are great cameras and are loaded with cool features and take some impressive photos. If I could have any camera and money wasn't an object it most likely would be the Canon 5d mark III, ive seen some unbelievable photos taken with that camera. In the meantime though im invested with Sony and so far pretty happy so ill be sticking with them. IMO though I feel Sony is a little behind the big players but is starting to creep its way up with camers like the NEX 7. Also hearing rumors of a full frames NEX camera (NEX 9 maybe) and a new full body full frame (A99 maybe). Those intrigue me and would love to see some test shots when they finally do get released since I eventually would like to work my way up to a FF camera.

Def pick up the Sony f/1.8 either 50mm or 35mm. You can find both under $199 and are are great for low light, dark ride and even portraits if thats your thing lol. I bought both and then sold the 50mm since I found it was always to close for me. I also got ri of the Sony kit lens and got a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 which sorta of covers the 50mm I sold and the kits lens. I love that lens and use it 80% of the time.

I'm looking to upgrade my camera some time next year, maybe a present to myself once I get my bonus :lol: I have a Canon Rebel XSI and it is far more capable of doing the shots I can handle as of now. When the time comes though I will stick with Canon and would love to upgrade to something like this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-...lack/1222177.p?id=1218237704342&skuId=1222177

Yeah looks like you would be taking a pretty decedent jump up with the 60D and you sure cant go wrong sticking with Canon. Ill tell ya, ever since got my first DSLR and started shooting I have been hooked and the more I shoot and the more I see others with higher end cameras and the pictures that they shoot, the more it makes me want one but sadly my wallet doesnt :lol:

I hear yah on the wallet thing. My quick trip to Cali in a few weeks has me tapped :lol:

It comes down to personal preference, I personally prefer Nikon, and I'm shooting on a much older DSLR. As long as you're shooting quality shots it doesn't matter if you use Sony, Nikon or Canon as far as I'm concerned.

Oh yeah they're all great cameras. And it is preference for sure. But I was asking first time buyers that don't have a preference.

So I played with an A57 yesterday (or it might have been a 65, don't remember), and WOW! I think I am completely sold on an electronic OLED viewfinder now! I could scroll through the menus really quick if I wanted to change a setting without taking my eye away from the camera, or moving it at all for that matter. Dynamic focus elements/controls, a level assist that is very sensitive, and any image effects you may apply through your camera are seen in real time through the viewfinder. And it handles it all without lag or quality issues that I noticed. I obviously wasn't used to the new button layout, but it wasn't something that I hate, and I could likely get used to it and become much more efficient with the way it is set up.

Now if I could just come across a spare $600...

^ You could always try selling your old DSLR body unless you wanted it as a back up. I did that with my old A390 and that helped me with getting the A55. The only lag you may experience is after shooting in 10fps or however fast those two can shoot in that setting the buffer will bog you down while writing to your memory card but it doesn't last long and really hasn't bothered me.

I'm looking to go from my Sony SLT-A33 to a Nikon D3200. Do you guys think that is a good switch?

It's depends how invested you are in the Sony A-Mount and Somy specific acceesories. On paper the D3200 looks just a tiny bit better spec wise but I wouldn't make a switch to another camera that is that close to the one I owned. Why not sell the A33 and put that into a higher level Nikon or Sony?

It's depends how invested you are in the Sony A-Mount and Somy specific acceesories. On paper the D3200 looks just a tiny bit better spec wise but I wouldn't make a switch to another camera that is that close to the one I owned. Why not sell the A33 and put that into a higher level Nikon or Sony?

I think I am still going to stick with my Sony. My parents were looking at getting me the Nikon D3200 and wanted to see what some of you guys thought.

I am going to be getting a Sony 35mm f/1.8 lens for my Sony A-33 instead. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...35F18_DT_35mm_f_1_8_SAM.html#pr-header-731697

Do you guys think that will be good for low light pictures?

Yeah that would be a great low light option, and definitely go with the 35mm vs the 50mm if you can afford it. As for the camera if your going to get a new camera save your money and get a package deal that will include an upgraded lens option. :thumbs:

If your parents are willing to buy you a new camera and you want to stick with the Sony you can always try and convince them to get you a 35mm f/1.4 lens :lol:

Yeah that would be a great low light option, and definitely go with the 35mm vs the 50mm if you can afford it. As for the camera if your going to get a new camera save your money and get a package deal that will include an upgraded lens option. :thumbs:

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it! :thumbs:

HM55, your shooting with a Sony A55 Correct?
I am considering the new A37 stricktly for night and Haunt shooting and wanted your thoughts, please.
I prefer shooting with live view, so I want to stick with Sony

Last edited:
HM55, your shooting with a Sony A55 Correct?
I am considering the new A37 for night shooting and wanted your thoughts, please.

Yes sir, the A55. Ive come to the realization that my camera wont shoot like some of the higher end $2,000-$3,000 camera and have slowly learned to live with the noise I get at low light levels :lol:,especailly without a tripod. Id say the A37 will get pretty similar results as my A55. If you shoot with a tripod at night you should be able to get some really awesome shots with little noise. On rides when you have to crank up the ISO you may see some noise but its expected, you will still be able to get some really nice shots regardless. Check out Flickr and search for the Sony A37 and it will show you everyone who is posting pictures with that camera so then you can look around and see what type of shots others with that camera are getting and then you can get a good idea of what to expect.

Here is a group of A37 shooters on Flickr just for a reference point, some pretty sweet shots.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1971864@N25/pool/with/7996440880/#photo_7996440880

Last edited:
Yes sir, the A55. Ive come to the realization that my camera wont shoot like some of the higher end $2,000-$3,000 camera and have slowly learned to live with the noise I get at low light levels :lol:,especailly without a tripod. Id say the A37 will get pretty similar results as my A55. If you shoot with a tripod at night you should be able to get some really awesome shots with little noise. On rides when you have to crank up the ISO you may see some noise but its expected, you will still be able to get some really nice shots regardless. Check out Flickr and search for the Sony A37 and it will show you everyone who is posting pictures with that camera so then you can look around and see what type of shots others with that camera are getting and then you can get a good idea of what to expect.

Thanks!
I am just looking for better night pics than my Sony HX100 (p&s super zoom) can deliver.

I am looking for a little better
DSC07980.jpg

Thanks!
I am just looking for better night pics than my Sony HX100 (p&s super zoom) can deliver.

I am looking for a little better
DSC07980.jpg

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-HX100v-vs-Sony-SLT-A37

You should see a pretty modest step up in picture quality based on the A37 having a larger sensor alone. Also may focus faster and you can raise the ISO a lot higher. Also though you will need to take the lenses into consideration. If the only lens you have only goes up to f/4.5 you wont get the low light shots that a lens with an aperture of f/1.8 will get. Also you try running into Best Buy or a Sony Style store with a memory card of your own and take some sample shots in the store, bring those pics back home and see how they look.