Wicked (2024 film) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Wicked (2024 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Another behind the scenes/extra footage completely ignoring the musical aspect. If they're going to invest so much, why try to hide it?
I assume because other films thought they had to hid it as well like Mean Girls remake earlier this year

Yeah for sure I don't get it either but some people I guess people just refuse to watch musicals.

It's a very misleading marketing choice. And it'll be very jarring for unfamiliar movie goers just expecting a new take on Wizard of Oz

As for Mean Girls, they made enough poor choices that not advertising it as a musical was the least offensive lol. They should've just pro-shot the actual stage production

I feel like people know that Wicked is a musical. It’s been around for 20 years.

Edit: I wonder if people know it’s going to be two movies?

Last edited:
Reactions: BBPH
I feel like people know that Wicked is a musical. It’s been around for 20 years.

Edit: I wonder if people know it’s going to be two movies?
We forgot.....not everyone is connected to media

Some people just see movies with cool trailers

I doubt people outside the fandom/box office redditors know its only part one and many might now know its a musical because of the marketing

If I recall right, Cats the musical has been sighted as one of the films that burned the movie companies along with Into the Woods. Cats just sucked (I will admit I did like one song from it but overall sucks) and Into the Woods is longggggggggg. I saw it and enjoyed it but my two friends who were into into musical, literally kept checking the time on their phones

Reactions: SeventyOne
We forgot.....not everyone is connected to media

Some people just see movies with cool trailers

I doubt people outside the fandom/box office redditors know its only part one and many might now know its a musical because of the marketing
To be fair I didn’t even know there was a movie coming until Universal announced the Wicked Experience. I saw the play in Chicago years ago and didn’t really care for it but put something in a theme park and I’ll do the homework

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'm pretty sure if anyone googles anything about Wicked you'll know it's a musical. The director recently talked about the part one and two thing. They're not marketing as such because they don't want people to think it's half the story, he wants each film to feel complete. So think of part two as more of a sequel rather than the missing half. If you know the show Act 1 ends pretty satisfyingly, but you're still curious what happens to fill in the space before Dorothy's arrival.

Wicked is a billion dollar IP, I suspect most audiences will know it’s a musical that’s been around, toured the country, and played everywhere internationally. Dont think this is a problem.

Reactions: saint.piss
It's a very misleading marketing choice. And it'll be very jarring for unfamiliar movie goers just expecting a new take on Wizard of Oz

As for Mean Girls, they made enough poor choices that not advertising it as a musical was the least offensive lol. They should've just pro-shot the actual stage production
I get it for Mean Girls, a smaller film that didn't seem like it would be well-received -- plan was likely to make as much cash as possible opening weekend. But a film with a budget this big this needs to have legs -- and they plan on opening a sequel! Alienating a portion of your audience with a "gotcha" seems a dumb move.

What's weirder, wasn't there a re-mix/re-imagining of "Popular" that did pretty well on the charts a few years ago? Why not exploit that? The main songs are bops, I don't see a disadvantage in leaning into them.

Had to explain to my millennial wife -- not a big genre fan but not Amish either -- that it's called "Wicked" because she's the young Wicked Witch. She had no idea the book or musical existed. Sure, every theater kid in America knows it, but compare the number of Hamilton soundtracks sold v. any Taylor Swift album. Broadway is a very niche thing, the book was a best-seller three decades ago, I think a lot of people are showing up to this expecting it to be a brand new grrrl power Harry Potter.

To be fair I didn’t even know there was a movie coming until Universal announced the Wicked Experience.
It was announced roughly 10 years ago & has been stuck in development hell until now.

I'm pretty sure if anyone googles anything about Wicked you'll know it's a musical. The director recently talked about the part one and two thing. They're not marketing as such because they don't want people to think it's half the story, he wants each film to feel complete.
You give too much credit to humans & googling anything. And no matter how they spin it, this is still half the story.

Wicked is a billion dollar IP, I suspect most audiences will know it’s a musical that’s been around, toured the country, and played everywhere internationally.
You give too much credit to most audiences. The GP isn't as "in the know" as you expect.