Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 126 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
View from today

image-5.jpg

Reactions: Doug A. and Felipe
I'm surprised we aren't talking more about HTF's comment that there are major issues. Here are my observations so far. First, the scaffolding came down on the middle section of London very quickly. Every other section was fully finished when they pulled it down. That was my first concern. Now, it seems as though there are hardly any workers working on the London Facade. Before it was crawling worth people working on every corner. Now its like its frozen in time. That tells me there's either a HUGE issue with the middle section or they had to yank everyone for an 'all hands on deck' kind of issue in Diagon Alley that we cannot see. There is a lot of work to be done to get done by June still on the outside, not even talking about the inside. So ideas people? What could be going on? HTF.....wanna share?

I'm surprised we aren't talking more about HTF's comment that there are major issues. Here are my observations so far. First, the scaffolding came down on the middle section of London very quickly. Every other section was fully finished when they pulled it down. That was my first concern. Now, it seems as though there are hardly any workers working on the London Facade. Before it was crawling worth people working on every corner. Now its like its frozen in time. That tells me there's either a HUGE issue with the middle section or they had to yank everyone for an 'all hands on deck' kind of issue in Diagon Alley that we cannot see. There is a lot of work to be done to get done by June still on the outside, not even talking about the inside. So ideas people? What could be going on? HTF.....wanna share?

Gringotts...

Wonderful photo, TheLastAshen! Things are starting to look good in there; I think either some more work has been done on the building finishes or that's just an angle which captures more than I've seen in one shot before, but either way it looks good.

This is something I'm wondering about too. I guess it makes sense to have the London facade visible for the HP event, but if we know there is an issue of some kind I guess to an extent it doesn't matter what or where, only that it is there... The next few days should give some clues if we don't find out for sure before then. If work resumes on the waterfront now that the Celebration is finished, we'll know it's inside.

I'm surprised we aren't talking more about HTF's comment that there are major issues. Here are my observations so far. First, the scaffolding came down on the middle section of London very quickly. Every other section was fully finished when they pulled it down.

I would assume they wanted it all down for the art directors to view... for instance, AG among others arrived on site just a few days later.

RE: Gringotts, it sounds like a major component/track effect is failing specs as contracted for. It's always something that. Let's say a $500K track component was supposed to be able to reset in 8 seconds, but the vendor cannot get it to reset any faster than 13 seconds and to make matters worse, the vendor just filed for bankruptcy. The you-know-what tends to hit the fan in such instances.

Inside the Magic posted a video of the "Making-Of" panel. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from the first few minutes, it looks pretty good.

[video=youtube;M39yPFT2U6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M39yPFT2U6A[/video]

Great pics again, HTF.

I'm not an expert at building things (despite my carpentry skills) but if they are actually aiming for June... man are they behind.

Hogsmeade was supposed to open "in the Spring" of 2010 and they managed to open it on the very last day of Spring. They've already moved the Diagon Alley opening from "Spring" to "Summer" and technically that gives them until the last day of Summer to be ready (although I'm sure they're loathe to lose all that summer tourist revenue).

Great pics again, HTF.

I'm not an expert at building things (despite my carpentry skills) but if they are actually aiming for June... man are they behind.

Hogsmeade was supposed to open "in the Spring" of 2010 and they managed to open it on the very last day of Spring. They've already moved the Diagon Alley opening from "Spring" to "Summer" and technically that gives them until the last day of Summer to be ready (although I'm sure they're loathe to lose all that summer tourist revenue).

I suspect they will be adding some workers too it. Which may be a reason why there has been no development on the jp expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

It's only January, they still have plenty of time, and we have seen in the past that they are willing to commit more resources to a project to meet a deadline. I have no doubt that we will see this early summer, most likely before July 4th the latest. We have to remember that we can't really see anything other than the facade. And also must remember that the facade came together and scaffolding came down extremely quickly

any chance they could put the Ministry of Magic where Fear Factor live is? I'd love to see it as an actual family dark ride. kind of a retrospective of harry's life/adventures.

Reactions: Jenstar
Thanks for the info! I'm going to the HP Celebration and technically I'm staying at one of the Uni partner hotels, so I should be good! Hopefully! Fingers crossed there are no snafus!!

Apparently early entry was only for on-site hotel guests... But no matter, a friendly TM let me through after some talking and since it was just myself :p and even then, that was no matter, because they were selling it past park opening, too, until like noon or so. I had the warm Butterbeer and I REALLY liked it! I cannot wait ffor it to come back, and enjoy it especially during chillier weather :cheers:

On a shot in the dark, I googled something I saw on a TV show (Anthony Bourdain, I think) a long time ago, and BINGO!

The small structures in front of the London facades are Cabmen's Shelters.

CaptureCabShelter_zps97632bfd.png

800px-A_London_Cabman%27s_Shelter_in_Warwick_Avenue_W9.jpg

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabmen's_Shelter_Fund

Perhaps they'll serve sandwiches and snacks for guests passing through and not entering Diagon Alley.

Nice catch! :thumbs: I'm gonna guess F&B stand, seeing as there'll be a lot of queueing out there to enter DA, and people will have nothing to do but buy food and drinks while they wait. I don't think it'll have Butterbeer or that kind of exclusive themed items, seeing as that's a big part of the experience to be had inside of the land. (PS: Thanks also for the subsequent videos!)

Not sure if you all already noticed, but if you click the newspaper at the bottom of the Diagon side of the interactive website, there are three pages of the Daily Prophet with six different videos about the new attractions featuring cast members (including Warwick Davis in full Griphook makeup), UC members, and members of the film creative team. There's at least one new piece of concept art in there, too, looking up Diagon Alley with Florean Fortescue's on the right.

The videos cover different features as follows:

1. The expansion overall
2. Diagon Alley
3. Gringotts
4. The Hogwarts Express
5. Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
6. Knockturn Alley

Whoa! THANKS for the heads up! :thumbs:

BTW, in the video that has the other concept art you mentioned, that corner façade next to Ollivander’s looks, again, completely different than what’s shown on the fly through… :shrug:

Excellent updates, BriMan, HTF and Frenzy88!! :rep: :cheers:

And TheLastAshen, once again, very cool pic! I wish I had your tallness :p :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.