Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my guess. You can actually see the fake grout lines, where each tile divides. It makes sense; it's probably safer, less expensive, and more durable to do a faux treatment than use real tiles.

Ah, good eye. I actually didn't notice the grout lines until you mentioned it. I hope they at least apply a bit of plaster or texturing to the surface so that the tiles have that nice rippling, warped effect that the originals do on Leichester. Not that I'm worried. From the brickwork, it's clear they know exactly what they're doing when it comes to realistic aged textures.

Me again.

I suspect the Underground Station will be much like the Russell Square entrance - circular windows, golden street lamps etc.

I haven't the ability to post pics on my UCP for some reason. Could someone upload the example below please?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Russell_Square_Underground.jpg

Ta very much

Andrew

Wow, you're totally right. We've been referring to this thing as Leicester Square the whole time, but has there been any indication that that's what it's meant to represent? Because it looks a lot more like Russell Square.

I think the whole site will look better once it has weathered a little. Alot of the Brick/Stonework looks too bright in the photos compared to alot of buildings in london.

The buildings will age eventually I guess!

This is Universal we're talking about, the company that does some of the best Haunted Houses in the world. I think they'll do some aging to the facades.

I think the whole site will look better once it has weathered a little. Alot of the Brick/Stonework looks too bright in the photos compared to alot of buildings in london.

The buildings will age eventually I guess!

Disney and Universal do not allow their attractions to naturally age. They paint the age on to exactly what they want and then work to maintain that exact age over time. That said, they ain't finished yet.

Scaffolding is down! photos by uor buzz :drool: :happy: :cheers:
BeMMs87IgAAv_79.jpg:large

BeMM0OCIIAAkEEQ.jpg:large

BeMM-C1CAAAw7SU.jpg:large

BeMNHbkCEAArB_S.jpg:large

BeMN_sfIYAAeAEK.jpg:large

BeMOQriCIAIcltV.jpg:large

BeMSSe2IMAAMRcA.jpg:large

Last edited:
Oh, now I see why everyone keeps mentioning ceramic tiles...

leicester square station is so damned ugly, I never looked closely at the real thing.
Leicester_Square_stn_northeast_entrance.JPG
The steaks at Angus are pretty naff too, not to mention over priced.

[video=youtube;ljjxvM6OLX4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljjxvM6OLX4[/video]

Hagrid features again, Im convinced he will be part of the expansion and my money says he will great us at Hogsmeade station, just like in that clip and in the film.

Scaffolding is down! photos by uor buzz :drool: :happy: :cheers:
BeMMs87IgAAv_79.jpg:large

WOW, I love it. I know a few are a little despondent with how it looks as a whole but In my opinion ,they nailed it.

Wow. Those pictures look incredible. What a difference from just a few days ago.

Great new pics... I wish someone other than HTF would zoom in with cameras and post the high res pics.

There are many more decorative elements coming to the Wyndham: railings at the top, fine decorative woodwork filling the space within the two large arches... on and on and on. I wouldn't be surprised if this facade alone cost more than the cliffs of Hogwarts (which had to be sculpted twice and then added to!).

Great new pics... I wish someone other than HTF would zoom in with cameras and post the high res pics.

There are many more decorative elements coming to the Wyndham: railings at the top, fine decorative woodwork filling the space within the two large arches... on and on and on. I wouldn't be surprised if this facade alone cost more than the cliffs of Hogwarts (which had to be sculpted twice and then added to!).
The photographer today (UORBuzz) forgot his SD card at home so he had limited camera memory to work with. Hopefully someone with a better camera will get out there soon.

I wanna get out there and look around but I'm working on the road until February 3rd. I haven't been home since I made my introduction in this thread. I feel like I'm gonna miss all the good photo ops!

Awesome pics!

There are some interesting differences between Universal's version of Wyndham theater and the original. The central pediment juts out a lot more, and they have used actual supporting pillars under it, instead of flat pilasters.
It changes the character of the building quite a bit. Not necessarily in a bad way. It's just a tad more grand and over-the-top

Disney and Universal do not allow their attractions to naturally age. They paint the age on to exactly what they want and then work to maintain that exact age over time. That said, they ain't finished yet.

True it's not finished. I guess I am being impatient!

I'm planning on doing the studios tour in the summer so I can compare on December. Hopefully will do some comparisons thread if I don't get beaten to it.

I made a diagram of the differences I see between the original Wyndham and Universal's.
As I said, not bad changes. Just interesting to compare.
Wyndhamdifference_zpsac7dc42f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Awesome pics!

There are some interesting differences between Universal's version of Wyndham theater and the original. The central pediment juts out a lot more, and they have used actual supporting pillars under it, instead of flat pilasters.
It changes the character of the building quite a bit. Not necessarily in a bad way. It's just a tad more grand and over-the-top

I am really embarrassed that I didn't even notice the difference! I wonder if there is a specific reason they did this. Could trademark infringement be part of it? We will have to see if the theater name goes up on the two corners. It isn't apparent in the concept art.

Status
Not open for further replies.