Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was also a fan of this film as well? Thought it was pretty fun and the villains are great. Again Chris Pine and Gal Gadot have fantastic chemistry (She is even stronger here) and it's just a very fun film.

Felt more like a Superman film than a WW film and expect more of a romantic adventure film versus a normal superhero film.
- Some of the CGI is a little off
- Last 10 minutes look off. Like it was shot later on.
- Also the movie could trim a little bit off. Felt it went on for 10 minutes too long.
4/5

I agree, while I'm fine with it...for the most part MCU nails fights more....BP was like these fights were they felt like cutscenes from video games and not in the real world. But overal i can ignore these for the super great story

Reactions: HHNManics
I rather liked this film. The only thing I wish was more properly fixed was on the runtime being trimmed a bit, and writing Kristen Wiig's character better (which, she does the best with what's given but it's not her film). To me, it's Pedros. And I'm absolutely fine with that.

I thought this was okay. I loved the first one better, and while I still liked this, there's a lot that kinda loses me. I love Pascal, but the interpretation of Max Lord just disappointed me, i always wanted him to be this pathological manipulator thats a force to be reckoned with and has no empathy. While I get the route they chose, I'm a bit bummed that Max Lord wasn't as traumatizing as he was in the comics. My fan cast was Jason Shwartzman for the role actually. I think Gal did so much better this time around, and Kristen Wiig was great! Also that post credit scene - how did I not see that coming?! 3/5 for me.

Reactions: Jamesh22
I thought this was okay. I loved the first one better, and while I still liked this, there's a lot that kinda loses me. I love Pascal, but the interpretation of Max Lord just disappointed me, i always wanted him to be this pathological manipulator thats a force to be reckoned with and has no empathy. While I get the route they chose, I'm a bit bummed that Max Lord wasn't as traumatizing as he was in the comics. My fan cast was Jason Shwartzman for the role actually. I think Gal did so much better this time around, and Kristen Wiig was great! Also that post credit scene - how did I not see that coming?! 3/5 for me.
I mean I can go for either...but I liked that I didn't want these villains to die.

Its nice when Villains really are just people who are doing something wrong but aren't just evil. At least to me makes them feel more real than generic alien monster 5 who is really strong and superman must stop.

Reactions: Nico and chris.g
^
Yeah, this has to be the first superhero movie I've seen in a while where the villain doesn't die. Also, did Barbara renounce her wish? Opens her position to return as a villain.

First one was better, still enjoyed this.
First superhero movie I've seen in a while (ever?) that no villains died. I kind of liked that. I appreciate the positivity and redemption arcs. Definite 180 from the first movie. Still the best DC comics movies. F*ck snyder super man/justice league

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I thought this movie was pretty rough. Very underwhelming.
Can I ask why...my friend called me and said he disliked it alot to.

So weird to me I found the message just great and really liked it, the first one I think is better but the ending of the first one is much....much worst than this at least we got a real ending and not two CGI things mashing against each other

I don't think this is an awful movie... but I also don't think it's particularly good. Tonally all-over-the-place, and crammed with too many unanswered questions that I couldn't overlook. Curiously shaky CGI throughout, too.

The first WONDER WOMAN has some major third act problems, but -- to me -- that's easily the better movie.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Maxwell Lord should have been played by Brendan Fraser.

It was a movie. I cannot enjoy the DCEU movies anywhere near as much as any Marvel film. This was better than anything with Superman in so far, but still average to me.

Reactions: awhen
God I can't remember a recent movie with so many scenes I loved that left me feeling so cold.

In terms of 80's homage DC superhero movies, Shazam is still top dawg.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Yep, that was a movie alright. Decent, but the scene with the nod to Lynda Carter was like a worse Stan Lee cameo.

"Don't worry I've been doing this a long time *winks*"

Ugh

• Haha
Reactions: chris.g and Legacy
Can I ask why...my friend called me and said he disliked it alot to.

So weird to me I found the message just great and really liked it, the first one I think is better but the ending of the first one is much....much worst than this at least we got a real ending and not two CGI things mashing against each other

*cracks knuckles*

The movie was pretty boring. The first big Wonder Woman action set-piece takes place an hour and a half into the movie. I will say the action picks up from there, but still - didn't do much for me.

The performances were fine. The portrayals were questionable. The actors just worked with what was given to them. It just didn't work for me. I do think Gal as Wonder Woman is great and they capture the spirit of Wonder Woman pretty well - but that doesn't make a good movie IMO. Wiig was fine - but Cheetah/Barbara needed more time to be fleshed out, and when they finally started making her interesting, she kinda gets stuffed into the backseat to let Lord take over as the big baddie. Considering Cheetah is supposed to be WW's biggest nemesis (at least top 3), I felt that was a mistake. It's like pushing back Doc Ock or Green Goblin to the side so Spidey can take on the Shocker. I also thought her transformation into Cheetah was kinda silly. They had to bridge a way to make her more "Cheetah-like" so the "Make me an apex predator" line felt forced. It might have been a bit better to let Barbara become the baddie for the 3rd and flesh out her loss of humanity/quest for power more. The Loss of humanity would explain her transformation into an animal-like villain. The arc they gave her though also would've benefitted from an extra scene at the end since her ending is left a little toooo ambiguous. The ending in general also was a little too Hallmark-y. I eye-rolled when Diana bumped into the man that Steve took over.

The Cheetah vs WW fight was pretty underwhelming - especially when the finale against Lord wasn't going to be an action piece. Speaking of.... The end message on how she defeated Lord was laughable. Sure, it was a good message - but this is coming from someone who is gorgeous, rich, immortal, and a friggin superhero. Wrong person to tell the world to be happy with what you have. Barbara kinda touched on this in the White House fight when she accused Diana of being condescending and coming from privilege - but they never went anywhere with it.

While I like the Steve/Diana dynamic, it was basically the first movie swapped - and ended the same way. Yea, it was a great emotional moment when she let him go - but we kind of already did this in the last film. I also didn't like how he just takes over another person's body. I would've been OK with him just showing up and saying "I don't know how I got here" than "I have taken over the body of a random man". While Pine was in the movie, we were ultimately seeing Diana's vision of him. In "reality", it was the other man the whole time - which also kinda undercuts Diana letting Steve go again since it really isn't "All" Steve.

Other than that - CGI was pretty questionable at points. There are other issues that I have (including the 80's gimmick not being taken advantage of to its full potential), but these are some of the biggest ones I wanted to share right now. The movie had some interesting ideas but executed them pretty poorly.

*cracks knuckles*

The movie was pretty boring. The first big Wonder Woman action set-piece takes place an hour and a half into the movie. I will say the action picks up from there, but still - didn't do much for me.

The performances were fine. The portrayals were questionable. The actors just worked with what was given to them. It just didn't work for me. I do think Gal as Wonder Woman is great and they capture the spirit of Wonder Woman pretty well - but that doesn't make a good movie IMO. Wiig was fine - but Cheetah/Barbara needed more time to be fleshed out, and when they finally started making her interesting, she kinda gets stuffed into the backseat to let Lord take over as the big baddie. Considering Cheetah is supposed to be WW's biggest nemesis (at least top 3), I felt that was a mistake. It's like pushing back Doc Ock or Green Goblin to the side so Spidey can take on the Shocker. I also thought her transformation into Cheetah was kinda silly. They had to bridge a way to make her more "Cheetah-like" so the "Make me an apex predator" line felt forced. It might have been a bit better to let Barbara become the baddie for the 3rd and flesh out her loss of humanity/quest for power more. The Loss of humanity would explain her transformation into an animal-like villain. The arc they gave her though also would've benefitted from an extra scene at the end since her ending is left a little toooo ambiguous. The ending in general also was a little too Hallmark-y. I eye-rolled when Diana bumped into the man that Steve took over.

The Cheetah vs WW fight was pretty underwhelming - especially when the finale against Lord wasn't going to be an action piece. Speaking of.... The end message on how she defeated Lord was laughable. Sure, it was a good message - but this is coming from someone who is gorgeous, rich, immortal, and a friggin superhero. Wrong person to tell the world to be happy with what you have. Barbara kinda touched on this in the White House fight when she accused Diana of being condescending and coming from privilege - but they never went anywhere with it.

While I like the Steve/Diana dynamic, it was basically the first movie swapped - and ended the same way. Yea, it was a great emotional moment when she let him go - but we kind of already did this in the last film. I also didn't like how he just takes over another person's body. I would've been OK with him just showing up and saying "I don't know how I got here" than "I have taken over the body of a random man". While Pine was in the movie, we were ultimately seeing Diana's vision of him. In "reality", it was the other man the whole time - which also kinda undercuts Diana letting Steve go again since it really isn't "All" Steve.

Other than that - CGI was pretty questionable at points. There are other issues that I have (including the 80's gimmick not being taken advantage of to its full potential), but these are some of the biggest ones I wanted to share right now. The movie had some interesting ideas but executed them pretty poorly.

I actually completely agree with this. It's done no favors either with the high bar the first film set. I still like the movie, it's fine. But I don't love it. Your remarks are probably my exact criticisms as well. Action wise, there wasn't much either or any big "wow" moments like No Man's Land. I think people hating it are blowing it out of proportion though, like, Suicide Squad and Justice League exist within this saga too, lol.

Reactions: Brian G.
I actually completely agree with this. It's done no favors either with the high bar the first film set. I still like the movie, it's fine. But I don't love it. Your remarks are probably my exact criticisms as well. Action wise, there wasn't much either or any big "wow" moments like No Man's Land. I think people hating it are blowing it out of proportion though, like, Suicide Squad and Justice League exist within this saga too, lol.

It’s definitely all about the expectations. From the 1st film being considered one of DC’s better ones to the fact that this is the first real big movie we’ve gotten since the pandemic started. Everything is gonna be amplified.

Reactions: chris.g
*cracks knuckles*

Nailed so many of my issues with it. Never mind how weirdly bloated it was.

The entire opening on Themyscira was entirely unnecessary, and served only as a loose justification for Diana’s refusal to renounce her wish. And even that justification wasn’t necessary because it’s literally been... what... 90? 100 years? If you want Robin Wright in the movie, make her a flashback like you did with Astoria.

Also, Diana’s school girl level selfishness was really grating. I can buy not wanting to let Steve go. It’s an emotional conflict the movie needs. But, despite understanding something is seriously wrong, she just... ignores it? She literally says, “We need to figure out why my dead boyfriend is back,” then meanders through DC with a detour to the Air and Space Museum for a date. Those sorts of character decisions just don’t make her feel very heroic. There’s a lack of urgency in almost everything she does.

I'll preface this by saying I still haven't seen the movie, but saying that just because something isn't as bad as Justice League or Suicide Squad doesn't mean a movie isn't bad. The DCEU is plagued with some pretty bad movies. Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam are probably the only good ones.

I'll preface this by saying I still haven't seen the movie, but saying that just because something isn't as bad as Justice League or Suicide Squad doesn't mean a movie isn't bad. The DCEU is plagued with some pretty bad movies. Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam are probably the only good ones.
That scene where Aquaman drinks with the lads though....10/10

Reactions: rageofthegods