Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I didn't realize it was going to be trackless AND motion base. Wow. This is going to be mind-blowing.

Soooo...would you say something like Peter Pan is better than Spiderman? Because one has physical sets and one has screens? And who's underestimating? We've seen mostly everything there is to the ride. We know what it will feature. And you don't care how great the technology is, but that's what makes a good ride a good ride! Nobody said SDMT will be bad. They just said Empire of the Penguin will be better. And saying "I can't wait when people realize how stupid they were" over THEIR OPINION is not the way to have a discussion.

Good question. I went on Peter Pan for the first time earlier this month, and I loved the ride. I must say I understand why the wait times are so high. Physical sets do more than screens for me. They did as a child and they still do as an adult. Screens are everywhere. When someone wants to be involved in a movie I dont think they want a screen. Thats how one sees movies, screens. So Physical sets allow someone to imagine they are there. let your imagination run and create images and a storyline for you while you are riding rather than having one on a screen to follow. Sure sets can tell story lines sequentially, but again to see and be near an animatronic idol of a character or special affect, brings more to a ride, IMo.

Good question. I went on Peter Pan for the first time earlier this month, and I loved the ride. I must say I understand why the wait times are so high. Physical sets do more than screens for me. They did as a child and they still do as an adult. Screens are everywhere. When someone wants to be involved in a movie I dont think they want a screen. Thats how one sees movies, screens. So Physical sets allow someone to imagine they are there. let your imagination run and create images and a storyline for you while you are riding rather than having one on a screen to follow. Sure sets can tell story lines sequentially, but again to see and be near an animatronic idol of a character or special affect, brings more to a ride, IMo.

Very true, but when done really well *SM* they are equally amazing just different.
And for the record I love real sets the time and efforts that go into them impress me as much as the finished product.

Ok, I'll bite, which is better, Journey of the Little Mermaid or Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey? Both utilize a mix of physical sets and screens.

And I think that's what the argument will really boil down to. Utilization and execution of the technology. People keep making the screen argument but what can Uni really do? Create an entire New York for you to drive in? Send you through a life sized quidditch pitch with players flying around? And it's not like you're sitting in your living room watching a movie, you're in a high tech moving vehicle flying through a highly themed building with real sets combined almost flawlessly with what's on the screen. And let's not forget to mention some of the cooler stuff in Spiderman is done with real sets (i.e. falling).

Last edited:
You're comparing apples and oranges. TLM sucks, but FJ doesn't.
I was mainly just pointing out that these are the 2 most recent Dark Ride experiences unleashed by the bohemoth resorts in Otown. And that actually comparing the 2 is patently ridiculous. But your assessment was succinctly put.

I think the thing that we should keep sight of is that with Universal's huge influx of cash and tourists, the fact that all the other parks in town are trying to out-do each other for the new crowds is only a huge win for us. We can nitpick over what's better, but really, we reap all of the benefits don't we?

Although I will say that without Harry Potter and Transformers, the others are looking a little bland. But Empire of the penguin certainly looks amazing.

You're comparing apples and oranges. TLM sucks, but FJ doesn't.

Since Forbidden Journey makes me Mission Space Orange sick, I will have to say the Little Mermaid is the better attraction. I honestly hate that Harry Potter gained fame as a story that appealed to all generations, but has a ride that only appeals to a limited group of people(thrillseekers with a strong stomach). I can ride most coasters/attractions in the US but Potter gets me every time. I also find the Potter storyline weak, flying benches? Really?

The Little Mermaid is a good dark ride for the entire family. While not perfect, it fits well in New Fantasyland.

Since Forbidden Journey makes me Mission Space Orange sick, I will have to say the Little Mermaid is the better attraction. I honestly hate that Harry Potter gained fame as a story that appealed to all generations, but has a ride that only appeals to a limited group of people(thrillseekers with a strong stomach). I can ride most coasters/attractions in the US but Potter gets me every time. I also find the Potter storyline weak, flying benches? Really?

The Little Mermaid is a good dark ride for the entire family. While not perfect, it fits well in New Fantasyland.

I'd have to agree. The Little Mermaid after riding both is the better attraction. Forbidden Journey was fun but the robotic arm is not cool. Although I didn't get sick it took everything I had not to let the whoozy flying feeling get to me. That said I can get on any roller coaster or other simulator (which I hate simulators) and feel better than I felt off forbidden journey. I've never gotten sick except twice. Everest (for not eating) and the little gravitron at the fair. Simpsons comes close but I'm able to fight it.

What may help is taking motion sickness pills before you get on that ride. (Like an hour before). You can go to a store or gift shop or first aid center and get them at the theme park or bring your own. They work. I was able to get on the likes of Space Mountain without feeling woozy at all. As well as the simulators and wild rides. It helps,. Another thing is to cut down on your stomach acids at the theme parks. Meaning little to no Orange Juice, or Pineapples, things with alot of acids. Something solid like oatmeal will help.

Sooooo you guys are saying that because you get sick that TLM is better than Potter? And the fans that can't ride are still able to walk through Hogwarts, and the ride doesn't have much a hardcore fan would want to see, it's really just a bunch of jumbled up locations. And does TLM even explain how we go under the sea in a giant mobile clam? While I agree the flying benches isn't the greatest story of how we are there (I can't think of a better one though), at least it's explained. FJ is a state-of-the-art ride that features new technology, TLM is an omnimover. And I'm not syaing TLM sucks, I just think it's hard to claim it's a better dark ride. But I will agree it is a great family ride.