Are Shows Universal? | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Are Shows Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney has strong IP with great recognizable songs and easy to recreate in a stage setting.

Universal doesn't have the plethora of options Disney has.
I mean they do own wicked right? Plus a few other musicals and could always create a original musical like AK's Nemo based a dreamworks movie or maybe even ET.

Uni Hollywood tried a musical on the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Everyone hated it.
Yeah but a creature from the black lagoon is a terrible choice for a musical to begin with. If it has decent script and songs, a musical based on Kung fu panda or troll could easily work. Like I said just do a theme park version/cut down of wicked or Shrek the musical

Street shows are so much more practical in most theme parks. Most guests really don't want to have to be "stuck" in a show for its duration. Much better to offer something where people can wander up to it even if it's already in progress, and if they find they're not interested just walk away. When you try that in a theater setting it's generally a miserable experience between squeezing through rows of seats and opening doors that change the lighting in the theater.

Street shows are so much more practical in most theme parks. Most guests really don't want to have to be "stuck" in a show for its duration. Much better to offer something where people can wander up to it even if it's already in progress, and if they find they're not interested just walk away. When you try that in a theater setting it's generally a miserable experience between squeezing through rows of seats and opening doors that change the lighting in the theater.
Exactly, I think it also cuts down way more on wait times than regular shows.

Reactions: GAcoaster

Right now guests want shows to be around 12-18 minutes long. That's why Disney's shows are all being shortened (in addition to the capacity gains).

I like it that Universal is more of the mind of having smaller shows in the streets, rather than specific set shows in a building.

Ideally, Universal should be able to do both.

I'm glad Universal has really upped their game this year in terms of street shows and streetmosphere, but it is still completely ridiculous to me that Universal has three (three!) large theaters across the two parks that are empty.

The problem is not that Universal is "bad" at creating such shows (Bourne is really kind of an instant classic, I feel, and Horror Makeup and Animal Actors are crowd-pleasing workhorses that still deliver), but much more that they don't put enough of an emphasis on this type of attraction.

I'm glad that Epic Universe is poised to have (at least) two stage productions when it opens.

This oddly reminds me of something like West Side Story. "Let's Get Loud" aside, it's got a very musical theater vibe to it with a latin flair (obviously because of the song choice).

I assume this show works sort of like a flash mob? Either way, I like it. I believe these are the performers from the parade from what i've heard.

This oddly reminds me of something like West Side Story. "Let's Get Loud" aside, it's got a very musical theater vibe to it with a latin flair (obviously because of the song choice).

I assume this show works sort of like a flash mob? Either way, I like it. I believe these are the performers from the parade from what i've heard.

I compared it to a In The Heights like.

Reactions: Disneyhead and Nick