Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Biggest Horror IPs yet to appear at HHN?

You know, since we're talking about non-horror I.P.s, I would LOVE to see a Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas house. Make it semi original similar to the Exorcist and Shining, have some trippy visual effects and costumes, and you have an amazing dark comedy maze.

Since Ghostbusters house was announced, I've lobbied for Big Trouble in Little China. But this might be an even better idea. If A&D are into the movie and put in that AWiL level of detail, could be an easy contender for house of the year.
I'd be so down for a Big Trouble in Little China house. That movie is such a blast to watch, and features plenty of horror-like visuals that could be great to see in-person.

As for other horror-adjacent IPs that could fit the event, I think The Twilight Zone could make for a good anthology house, using scenes based on the more horror-related episodes like Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, It's a Good Life, and The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

Any reason we have yet to See Resident Evil in USH? Is it the teams here don't play/like Video games? Resident Evil is one if not the Biggest Horror and have great settings and monster design and nothing...even if the Metro sets would be perfect for it

Any reason we have yet to See Resident Evil in USH? Is it the teams here don't play/like Video games? Resident Evil is one if not the Biggest Horror and have great settings and monster design and nothing...even if the Metro sets would be perfect for it

Silent Hill underperformed for both coasts in 2012 and Resident Evil in Orlando circa 23 had mixed to middling reviews at best.

Silent Hill underperformed for both coasts in 2012 and Resident Evil in Orlando circa 23 had mixed to middling reviews at best.
Shame. There is some definite potential in horror-related video games for HHN, but those houses weren't the best executions of those games.

For instance, I feel like a scare zone would be the best set-up for capturing the zombie cityscape of Resident Evil 2, while a house would better fit Resident Evil: Biohazard.

The one based off the Movie? I mean kinda "duh" even Mortal Kombat which is a fun film isn't amazing

They should consider basing a Maze off RE 1, RE2, RE4 or the two new games Resident Evil 7/8 great settings and monsters. Thanks for the info, sadly think I skipped that year and gladly would have gone into a Silent Hill maze though its base is wayyyy less than RE the movies and games make bank

The one based off the Movie? I mean kinda "duh" even Mortal Kombat which is a fun film isn't amazing

They should consider basing a Maze off RE 1, RE2, RE4 or the two new games Resident Evil 7/8 great settings and monsters. Thanks for the info, sadly think I skipped that year and gladly would have gone into a Silent Hill maze though its base is wayyyy less than RE the movies and games make bank

The RE maze in Orlando was pretty much based on 2/3, and it was... not great. I don't know if I got a bad run or what, but it was very sparse and what was there was disappointing (I remember the Nemesis costume being especially egregious to me) and the house as a whole hung its hat a little too much on "video games".

That said, I'd love a house based on the Baker estate from 7 or the village from 8. I'd argue you could almost make an entire event off of 8, but the game itself almost plays like a haunted house in its setpieces, and honestly, my favorite parts of that game have already been done pretty well as original houses, like other games I've wanted to see as houses.

I really wish UC could do a video game house again, but I don't have a ton of faith that it wouldn't be more of what we've seen from them before.

Honestly, I would love to see Uni do a RE maze again sometime, but this time with more puppets. I mean, look at Stranger Things, imagine those kind of puppets for say William Birkin, or have some crazy costume design with Lisa Trevor.

Honestly, I would love to see Uni do a RE maze again sometime, but this time with more puppets. I mean, look at Stranger Things, imagine those kind of puppets for say William Birkin, or have some crazy costume design with Lisa Trevor.

Now that they've been doing really well with puppets and scale, I'd kind of like to see them do something with Kaiju and have some sort of conceit for ground scares, too.

In terms of IP, I'm interested in seeing some things that wouldn't necessarily work as houses get some love as shows. If we can't have RHPS back, how about Evil Dead or Re-Animator the musical or something?

Some of the advances in special effects would also work well for some updated versions of older houses. A Shining or Exorcist-style Hitchcock house would be interesting.

Now that they've been doing really well with puppets and scale, I'd kind of like to see them do something with Kaiju and have some sort of conceit for ground scares, too.

In terms of IP, I'm interested in seeing some things that wouldn't necessarily work as houses get some love as shows. If we can't have RHPS back, how about Evil Dead or Re-Animator the musical or something?

Some of the advances in special effects would also work well for some updated versions of older houses. A Shining or Exorcist-style Hitchcock house would be interesting.
A Kaiju-inspired house could be really cool. Cloverfield would be the most likely IP to work with, given you get the giant monster along with the smaller parasite creatures, but even just the generic idea of trying to survive a city as a giant monster attacks would make for a unique house.

On the topic of puppets, imagine if they gave a try at making a Jaws house work.

As for other horror-adjacent IPs that could fit the event, I think The Twilight Zone could make for a good anthology house, using scenes based on the more horror-related episodes like Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, It's a Good Life, and The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

It's a fun "what if?" but I imagine Tower of Terror means a no-go.

It's a fun "what if?" but I imagine Tower of Terror means a no-go.
Realistically, that's probably the case. Still a fun idea to think about.

The RE maze in Orlando was pretty much based on 2/3, and it was... not great. I don't know if I got a bad run or what, but it was very sparse and what was there was disappointing (I remember the Nemesis costume being especially egregious to me) and the house as a whole hung its hat a little too much on "video games".
Yeah, that was definitely part of the problem. It tried to get too self-referential about it being based on a video game, like having a "Pause" room where the action is paused. It should have just played to the strength of its IP, and save some of that slightly goofier stuff for something like if Anarch-Cade got made into a house.

Regarding some of the RE talk, here’s a maze from USJ 2019 of an RE2 Remake Maze. If USH knew more of the video games, I think it’s possible they could’ve pulled this off pretty well with some of the puppet work.

But I would love to see RE8 as a maze. Lots of bosses and scenes I would love to see come to life with some insane puppet potential.

Twilight Zone and Godzilla are really good picks, even if they are technically impossible for multiple reasons. Definitely agree with adding those to the list.

Another few picks we missed, maybe not Halloween-tier but I could see some of them being considered for the event:

-The Babadook
-Scream Queens
-Pan's Labyrinth
-The Munsters
-Simpson's Treehouse of Horror
-Dead Space
-Get Out
-Split
-Annabelle
-A Quiet Place
-Scary Movie
-War of the Worlds
-Silence of the Lambs (how hasn't this been brought up here yet? lol)

Twilight Zone and Godzilla are really good picks, even if they are technically impossible for multiple reasons. Definitely agree with adding those to the list.

Another few picks we missed, maybe not Halloween-tier but I could see some of them being considered for the event:

-The Babadook
-Scream Queens
-Pan's Labyrinth
-The Munsters
-Simpson's Treehouse of Horror
-Dead Space
-Get Out
-Split
-Annabelle
-A Quiet Place
-Scary Movie
-War of the Worlds
-Silence of the Lambs (how hasn't this been brought up here yet? lol)
Nice assortment of choices there. The Babadook certainly has a memorable monster to use for a house, and War of the Worlds could play with that size element when it comes to the Tripods.

On a similar note to The Munsters, I might add The Addams Family. You've got a whole family of memorable characters you can play with, and their macabre mansion would make for such a natural house setting. It'd be perfect fodder for filling the "light house" niche, as well.

Also, while Count Orlok has has small appearances at HHN, I'd be down for a house that takes the black and white aesthetic of HHN 22's Universal's House of Horrors and applies it to a house that serves as a double feature of Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Maybe call it Silent Screams.

I imagine Uni would want to either use the Classic Monsters to fill the Black-and-White style again or use those movies as inspiration for originals a la Nosferatu and Hive. But they are definitely good ideas and it would be real cool to see some representation of non-UCM OG classic horror.

I worry that the Disney/20th Century merger officially kills any chance of ever seeing a Treehouse of Horror overlay or zone for HHN. It's a real shame they never went through with it while they still had the chance, they could've had a lot of fun with that style.

The minute someone talked to me about the idea of Pan's Labyrinth becoming a house, I was on board. It's definitely not full horror, but the Del Toro elements and designs would work insanely well in a house. The Pale Man is the obvious win, but Pan, the Mandrake Root, and even some of the more grounded human elements would work pretty well too. I could definitely see it fitting into the house lineup similar to Trick R Treat. Cult movie with some very interesting setpieces and designs. Probably a little more on the atmospheric side like Us. B79 would work real well for it.

I imagine Uni would want to either use the Classic Monsters to fill the Black-and-White style again or use those movies as inspiration for originals a la Nosferatu and Hive. But they are definitely good ideas and it would be real cool to see some representation of non-UCM OG classic horror.

I worry that the Disney/20th Century merger officially kills any chance of ever seeing a Treehouse of Horror overlay or zone for HHN. It's a real shame they never went through with it while they still had the chance, they could've had a lot of fun with that style.

The minute someone talked to me about the idea of Pan's Labyrinth becoming a house, I was on board. It's definitely not full horror, but the Del Toro elements and designs would work insanely well in a house. The Pale Man is the obvious win, but Pan, the Mandrake Root, and even some of the more grounded human elements would work pretty well too. I could definitely see it fitting into the house lineup similar to Trick R Treat. Cult movie with some very interesting setpieces and designs. Probably a little more on the atmospheric side like Us. B79 would work real well for it.
Honestly, more representation of Guillermo del Toro's stuff would be cool. All that they've done so far was just that one Crimson Peak house over at USH, and Pan's Labyrinth is probably the one that'd be among the easiest of his Spanish-language work to translate to a house.

True, Treehouse of Horror could have made for a really fun anthology house or even just a scare zone. Honestly, I'm also worried about how the Disney/20th Century merger might impact the event. Disney is probably never going to use those horror IPs in a park, so it'd be great if they could work out some sort of deal, considering some of the horror and horror-adjacent content in 20th Century's library:
  • Alien
  • Predator
  • The Fly (1986 film)
  • Ready or Not
  • Big Trouble in Little China

Some Thoughts I Have:

A24 properties would be a big draw. The fan base for many of there films are rabid to say the least. The Lighthouse would be a pipe dream for me.

Attaching "Guillermo del Toro" to a house would be huge. Everyone loves him. Even if a guest has not seen Pan's Labyrinth before entering a haunted house based off of it, they at least know "Guillermo del Toro."

All of the All Nite Die-In: Take 2 films unofficially in that house are all Big Horror IPs yet to appear at HHN.

The Terminator would continue the blast from USF's Park Past returning for HHN.

Night of the Living Dead is a classic and influential piece of film.

A Hitchcock Mashup would be epic.