CityWalk Expansion | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
I see it the opposite--at least NASCAR and NBA have some sort of hook. I don't know that "Xfinity" tells Joe Tourist, "hey, you can watch your favorite game here."

Then again, I question the viability of any sports bar in CityWalk--Universal doesn't have the captured market of hotel guests with crappy cable that WDW has, too much trouble/too expensive for Orlando locals to head over for a regular game. And to quote Jon Taffer, sports bars only give you 70 nights a year anyway.

It's called the NBCSports Arena. "Xfinity Live!" is the name of the "district" in Philly next to the Linc/CBP/Wells Fargo Center. Obviously they wouldn't name it Xfinity Live! in Central Florida. It's not as recognizable a name as it is up here. I was just posting the link to basically something that exists that will most likely be duplicated to fit inside NASCAR.

I see it the opposite--at least NASCAR and NBA have some sort of hook. I don't know that "Xfinity" tells Joe Tourist, "hey, you can watch your favorite game here."

Then again, I question the viability of any sports bar in CityWalk--Universal doesn't have the captured market of hotel guests with crappy cable that WDW has, too much trouble/too expensive for Orlando locals to head over for a regular game. And to quote Jon Taffer, sports bars only give you 70 nights a year anyway.

It's called the NBCSports Arena. "Xfinity Live!" is the name of the "district" in Philly next to the Linc/CBP/Wells Fargo Center. Obviously they wouldn't name it Xfinity Live! in Central Florida. It's not as recognizable a name as it is up here. I was just posting the link to basically something that exists that will most likely be duplicated to fit inside NASCAR.

Yeah, I don't mean the Xfinity brand, but more of what that place has to offer :cheers: A place like this could be the rumored NBC Sports venue. People are suckers for technology, and a place like that could be pretty captivating, methinks. Also, it could still have all the sports merch that's sold at NASCAR Grille and NBA City, and even more to including other sports! :thumbs: I'm not saying the food or service is bad at all at the NASCAR place--I personally never had a bad experience there, and I've been to it more than once--but I don't think it's necessary to have two sports themed venues at CityWalk, and especially NASCAR is least necessary with having Daytona just an hour's drive away for the real deal. Basically, they could combine the elements of both places, add more to it to increase the appeal and marketing value, and then put something completely different in NBA City. More variety, new energy, more business, and the resort keeps improving! :cheers:

Does anyone else think they should finish painting the bell spire at the top of Antojitos? The back of it is gray with a bit of the pink from the front spilling into it, it looks really ugly from the outside roads.

Got you. I still don't see the market for this, tho. Weekend afternoons, most tourists in the vicinity have tickets to a theme park, and likely kids that want to use them. As for locals, I can get $2ish beers at Fridays/BWW/Alehouse without the hassle of parking in a garage. I just don't know that any sports bar works, especially taking away the "hook" of seeing memorabilia from a favorite sport.

Got you. I still don't see the market for this, tho. Weekend afternoons, most tourists in the vicinity have tickets to a theme park, and likely kids that want to use them. As for locals, I can get $2ish beers at Fridays/BWW/Alehouse without the hassle of parking in a garage. I just don't know that any sports bar works, especially taking away the "hook" of seeing memorabilia from a favorite sport.

When NBA City and NASCAR go (if NBC Sports Arena or Live or whatever doesn't replace it), there will be no place to watch sports on property except for Finnegan's and I guess Hard Rock. NASCAR also has that huge screen out front that shows NFL games that is pretty wicked. There's always a pretty big crowd there on Sundays and for big games all the time. Memorabilia IMO isn't really that important. Big HD screens and great food/game specials is what I, and what I assume most people want out of a sports bar. Don't forget about the thousands of people staying on site at any given time, esp with the opening of Cabana Bay.

If there's not a market for this then there's certainly not a market for that stupid hot dog stand they're building or the two frozen dessert stores.

A lot of folks don't rent cars and for sure don't want to venture off property. Great food, specials and HD screens everywhere showing highlights or games is always a winner.

There's always a pretty big crowd there on Sundays and for big games all the time. Memorabilia IMO isn't really that important. Big HD screens and great food/game specials is what I, and what I assume most people want out of a sports bar. Don't forget about the thousands of people staying on site at any given time, esp with the opening of Cabana Bay.

I've never seen a huge crowd there for typical NFL games--could always find a barstool easily. It's not ESPN Club busy, and I don't see Cabana Bay changing that (again, 1,800 new rooms still doesn't come close to the over 20,000 at WDW). And that's 20 days out of 365. Where's the hook to get people on a Tuesday night in July? And I agree on game specials--I don't see a CW venue offering those, which will keep locals away from even the biggest TVs in Orlando.

If there's not a market for this then there's certainly not a market for that stupid hot dog stand they're building or the two frozen dessert stores.

Completely disagree. Street food goes hand-in-hand with nightlife (never seen a downtown without E Coli carts), and hot dogs are the quintessential American food to international guests. And ice cream/froyo have long been associated as end of a theme park day treats since Disneyland opened in 1955, probably Coney Island before that.

Antojitos

11vtxms.jpg

3008aza.jpg

hvo1fc.jpg

afjxjk.jpg

14njnh1.jpg

9bj57q.jpg

25rcojl.jpg

aym3av.jpg

zkinb7.jpg

14ctsmu.jpg

2lazp55.jpg

v6mezn.jpg

2vl9qpv.jpg

2imb6dg.jpg

2jcecux.jpg

301lopi.jpg

rjo9zn.jpg

And this is where my tour of Antojitos ended. Unfortunately, I didn't get upstairs. It's supposed to open next week.​

Attachments

• afjxjk.jpg
    afjxjk.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2vl9qpv.jpg
    2vl9qpv.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8
Thanks!

When is the official opening date. Im there in two weeks. I feel I might be there the day of or a day late! :blank::shrug:

So, I assume this building always had a balcony and show stage? Seeing all of the rigid cable, all that I could think was that it is to give the imbibed something to hold onto lest they collapse.

Thanks, Felipe! I'm ready for a food menu now too.

Also, I see some of the exterior tackiness seeped into the inside as well. This restaurant is going to be an interesting one. :lol:

Thanks for all pictures. Looking forward to this. I agree to that the interior looks alot better than the exterior. What else is expected for the exterior?