CityWalk Expansion | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
Haha Jake we had to have been there at the same time! I remember those same guys in the weird sweaters sitting across from me at the bar!

I didn't get any food, only drinks. Had Fresca Margarita and Repo Man cocktail. Salsa was amazingly fresh and all the bartenders were great. My drinks were delicious and strong. Which is what I expected for how much they were.

Haha Jake we had to have been there at the same time! I remember those same guys in the weird sweaters sitting across from me at the bar!

I didn't get any food, only drinks. Had Fresca Margarita and Repo Man cocktail. Salsa was amazingly fresh and all the bartenders were great. My drinks were delicious and strong. Which is what I expected for how much they were.

Where were you sitting at the bar? At the opposite corner? Yeah, they definitely poured the drinks with a heavy hand, which I'm not complaining about. $8 for a drink really isn't that bad either. I'll definitely return.

Made it over to Antojitos tonight, after bailing on a concert.

I'm still a fan of the outside, especially at night. The bell was ringing constantly as I walked up, which got annoying real quick, but thankfully could not hear it once inside.

The interior is ... not what I was expecting. Same basic layout as Latin Quarter, but that's where the similarities end. More kitschy than I anticipated, lots of neon and murals of mariachis and luchedors. Letters made of light bulbs, as well. Essentially a cross between Splitsville and Chuy's, if you know the tourist area. While the dark wood and generally low lighting hid how big LQ was, the bright lighting calls attention to how cavernous this space is. And I still don't know what to make of the birdcage booths. Music alternated between Spanish takes on classic rock/pop, and American songs about Mexico ("Mexican Radio," "Another Beer in Mexico").

Drinks are incredible. 201 types of tequila, all the juices hand-squeezed. I started with just the house margarita--one of the best I've had, and it packed a whallop. Switched to Dos after that--driving--but I'm curious to try some of the more exotic concoctions on the menu.

Chips and homemade salsa are complimentary. Chips were fine, but the salsa was a thing of beauty, clearly handmade, with bits of tomato, onion and pepper. I also had the combo. Hands down, best black beans and rice I've ever had. An odd thing to rave about, I know, but it was a highlight. Light seasoning on the rice made it delicious. The shredded beef over some sort of cornbread things was even better, and the chicken enchilada in green chili sauce was also far above most everything else in CityWalk. The weakest link was the beef taco, and it was still very good.

If there's a criticism, it's that portions are not huge. I wasn't hungry when I finished, but no trouble cleaning my plate, either, which is rare at, say, Chuy's or Chevy's. The tacos in particular are small--smaller than Taco Bell--which is a little disappointing at $4-$5 a pop. Random guy next to me was upset with the potato-chorizo tacos, which was basically a potato taco with a sprinkling of chorizo bits; he was not happy to pay $14 for three of them. In contrast, I thought drinks were fairly priced at $10-$12--a good 25-30% less than La Cava for comparable quality and size.

Service was top notch, friendly and efficient.

Antojitos is in a weird place. It's cheesy decor and atmosphere make it seem like an ethnic take on Margartaville or NASCAR Cafe. But the food is a couple steps above, comparable to Cantina Laredo or some of the other nice places on Sand Lake Road. If nothing else, a great place to get a post-park or pre-HHN drink.

I went today, and while I do not have a completely detailed review, I wasn't blown away. I liked the atmosphere very much. Yeah, it is a bit cheesy but I liked it. The chips and salsa were wonderful, some of the best I have had. I'm usually disappointed in restaurant salsas, but this stuff was GREAT. They even offered a second dish of it, which is rare. Now, I didn't have any drinks, so I can't comment on that. I had already had a few at the parks, and to be honest, I am not a fan of tequila. I ordered the empanadas and my boyfriend got the wet burrito. My empanadas were good, but not the best. I enjoyed the dipping sauce for the beef, but the others, not so much. I ordered these knowing they were an appetizer, but I still found they were very tiny, maybe half the size of typical empanadas. The burrito was quite sizeable, and I tried a bit of it myself. The beef was seasoned well, but the rest of the ingredients felt a little cold and bland in comparison. Still, it was a good amount of food, and even my boyfriend couldn't finish it...Trust me, that's a feat. The beans tasted kind of smokey to us. Coming from a Cuban household, we make beans A LOT. So maybe I was a little picky. But these didn't impress me.
Overall, I liked the atmosphere and the people working there. The masks were a really cool touch, and the artist was very pleasant and fun to chat with. The food didn't blow us away, but maybe next time we can just go for drinks.

I went today, and while I do not have a completely detailed review, I wasn't blown away. I liked the atmosphere very much. Yeah, it is a bit cheesy but I liked it. The chips and salsa were wonderful, some of the best I have had. I'm usually disappointed in restaurant salsas, but this stuff was GREAT. They even offered a second dish of it, which is rare. Now, I didn't have any drinks, so I can't comment on that. I had already had a few at the parks, and to be honest, I am not a fan of tequila. I ordered the empanadas and my boyfriend got the wet burrito. My empanadas were good, but not the best. I enjoyed the dipping sauce for the beef, but the others, not so much. I ordered these knowing they were an appetizer, but I still found they were very tiny, maybe half the size of typical empanadas. The burrito was quite sizeable, and I tried a bit of it myself. The beef was seasoned well, but the rest of the ingredients felt a little cold and bland in comparison. Still, it was a good amount of food, and even my boyfriend couldn't finish it...Trust me, that's a feat. The beans tasted kind of smokey to us. Coming from a Cuban household, we make beans A LOT. So maybe I was a little picky. But these didn't impress me.
Overall, I liked the atmosphere and the people working there. The masks were a really cool touch, and the artist was very pleasant and fun to chat with. The food didn't blow us away, but maybe next time we can just go for drinks.
Two words: corn bread.

Also Antojitos is a tapas style place so the portions are small. Make sure you get any discount you can, as mentioned in my review on the main page Preferred passes get 10 and Premiere get 15%. I didn't ask specifically but I believe TM's should get 35%, I'll make sure to verify next time. AAA members should always ask to see if they can get one. This will make the price to portion ratio a lot better.

The hubby and I went early Thursday evening, braving the cold and rain after just coming off a cruise that morning. We were able to use our Hollydays discount coupon on one of the last days it was valid.

We were mighty impressed. I had duck tacos, and a glass of Rodney Strong cabernet sauvignon (my favorite brand and favorite type of wine) because I am not a fan of tequila. Almost went with Mexican coffee, but maybe next time. Hubby had Sprite.

The chips and salsa were excellent-the salsa had a nice lime taste to it, not too tomatoey, and the chips were warm, fresh, and just barely salted, the way I like them. The duck tacos, while small, were superb, and I really enjoyed the black beans and rice, which typically I am not super crazy about. Hubby had the enchilads with mole sauce, which he declared to be absolutely "text book perfect", in both looks and taste (he's a trained chef). For dessert, Alan had the molten dulce de leche, and I had tres leches cake. Both were wonderful.

The interior is so much brighter than Latin Quarter, and now that I have seen the inside, I understand the concept behind the terrible paint job outside. I don't like it any more than I did before, but I get it. The interior is quite stunning in it's own way. Service was outstanding, and a couple of managers stopped by to ask our opinion. Prices are a little less than Latin Quarter. I am one who does not like huge portions, so they were just right for me. The US is probably the only country in the world that is into enormous portions, and our bodies reflect it.

I think this place will be a huge hit.

Two words: corn bread.

Also Antojitos is a tapas style place so the portions are small. Make sure you get any discount you can, as mentioned in my review on the main page Preferred passes get 10 and Premiere get 15%. I didn't ask specifically but I believe TM's should get 35%, I'll make sure to verify next time. AAA members should always ask to see if they can get one. This will make the price to portion ratio a lot better.
We definitely used our passes :thumbs: So it wasn't so bad. I wanted to try the cornbread, so if we go another time, I'll have to check it out.