D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What D23 Parks Announcement are you most excited about?

• Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Details + Model

• Ratataouille Addition to France Pavilion

• Guardians of the Galaxy ride (replacing Universe of Energy)

• Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (replacing The Great Movie Ride)

• Tron Shanghai Clone addition to Tomorrowland

• Disney Skyliner

• Pixar Pier/Pixar Fest + Paint The Night return

• Marvel Land at DCA

• Star Wars Hotel

• New Theatre on Main Street

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was being just slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I have some deep, profound concerns about both the Mickey ride and the Guardians ride, and am irritated by the way they're trying to pass off what they're doing in Epcot as somehow "staying true to the original vision."

I'll agree with that Epcot line. It was laughable that Chapek followed all that with essentially "Families want IP's cuz current Epcot isn't Disney enough for them"

I imagine a Nintendo announcement for the stateside parks is coming soon. They just wanted to keep focus on Volcano Bay all summer. Plus, give Japan's all the attn first. KidsZone is gonna start coming down soon... In a couple weeks when this all starts to die down I'll expect a little Universal love coming our way.

So, I'm going to attempt to be positive with my overall thoughts concerning the WDW announcements: I think TRON and Ratatouille will be very good additions to their parks.

Here end my positive thoughts.

Really?
The theater with an actual show replacing a tinker bell and Mickey meet and greet? (If that's where it is). Uhh... yes please?

As for Epcot. A space restaurant isn't good? It's not groundbreaking but why not like it? Again- an addition. It'd replace the "gourmet" hot dog food stand that isn't ever open.

And... a Star Wars hotel! It'll be priced out the ass but good for Disney going outside of the box and taking one step closer to Westworld.

GotG and the Mickey ride are the only two that should really even be argued over. I'm ok with GotG but think that Mickey ride is gonna suck. We'll see.

I feel like Uni have been caught off guard and have wasted several years momentum with their decisions after Diagon. I won't argue VB wasn't a great move, even if I was a little disappointed with the product I saw in early June. I sense complacency (in innovation/final product, not investment)...and I don't think they're going to get away with it anymore...which is great for all of us.

Reactions: Porkchop
Really?
The theater with an actual show replacing a tinker bell and Mickey meet and greet? (If that's where it is). Uhh... yes please?

As for Epcot. A space restaurant isn't good? It's not groundbreaking but why not like it? Again- an addition. It'd replace the "gourmet" hot dog food stand that isn't ever open.

And... a Star Wars hotel! It'll be priced out the ass but good for Disney going outside of the box and taking one step closer to Westworld.

GotG and the Mickey ride are the only two that should really even be argued over. I'm ok with GotG but think that Mickey ride is gonna suck. We'll see.
Theater at this time planned for the expanded back stage walkway that opened with the new hub

Reactions: Andysol
I feel like Uni have been caught off guard and have wasted several years momentum with their decisions after Diagon. I won't argue VB wasn't a great move, even if I was a little disappointed with the product I saw in early June. I sense complacency (in innovation/final product, not investment)...and I don't think they're going to get away with it anymore...which is great for all of us.

The problem isn't complacency. They can't always build E-Tickets - and just think of what they've added since Hogsmeade. The issue is that they haven't shown their cards yet for the future, which isn't helping anyone look forward to their future really. We know Nintendo is coming - but remember there is a 4th park on the horizon and other bits. They just got to pull the trigger and share it. Disney just released their 5 year plan, it would be a good idea for Uni to do the same.

I don't think Universal was caught off guard. It was Disney not doing anything vast for the past 10 years and leaving DHS and Epcot to rot unto now. They saw Universal rolling down the tracks and finally decided to stop it.

Reactions: Andysol and rioriz
Is Mickey a screen ride?

Sure seems that way! We're likely losing another long-form, AA-rich dark ride in favor of simulated shenanigans.

Really?

If they put a show worth seeing in there, my tune will change.

I'm never going to stay there! Like all hotel and/or water (theme) park news, I just don't get excited about places I'm not going to spend my time.

More power to you if you're excited by some of that stuff, though. I really mean that.

The problem isn't complacency. They can't always build E-Tickets - and just think of what they've added since Hogsmeade. The issue is that they haven't shown their cards yet for the future, which isn't helping anyone look forward to their future really. We know Nintendo is coming - but remember there is a 4th park on the horizon and other bits. They just got to pull the trigger and share it. Disney just released their 5 year plan, it would be a good idea for Uni to do the same.

It's true that it's hard to focus on their direction when they haven't shared...but we can judge on Fallon, Kong, F&F. Worrying for a Universal I think is Disney have revealed part of their 5 year plan. I think there's a lot more to come personally with those teases on Epcot.

Nintendo land is awesome, but Disney just threw down the gauntlet. The sleeping giant is FINALLY awake,

I'm not crazy about Guardians at Epcot, but at least it's replacing the Universe of Energy and NOT Tower of Terror. This is still a win in my opinion. It could have been much worse.

The Mickey ride is a wait and see. The GMR is classic dark ride Disney but it's out dated and I understand why they are replacing it.

Everything else is awesome. I just hope I can afford to actually visit the park after all the price hikes I'm expecting to pay for all this.

Its quite easier for Disney to do these announcements than it is for Universal. Disney announced quite a bit of stuff all on the same day. Now whereas it seems omfg Disney is doing so much, its more so they just dropped 8 press releases all at once to a crowd of Disney loving fans.

Universal could do that, however, way less impact as no one is a Universal Studios Films/Park fans. These would lead to a lot mroe stuff being missed in opinion.

Its quite easier for Disney to do these announcements than it is for Universal. Disney announced quite a bit of stuff all on the same day. Now whereas it seems omfg Disney is doing so much, its more so they just dropped 8 press releases all at once to a crowd of Disney loving fans.

Universal could do that, however, way less impact as no one is a Universal Studios Films/Park fans. These would lead to a lot mroe stuff being missed in opinion.

The difference is that UOR isn't Disney. They don't have the park / resort/ real estate to counter this. The only thing that could really compete is the announcement of a 3rd (4th?) Gate.