Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it goes without saying that if it is announced then it is not softs, that is kinda the whole point of softs :rofl:

But I believe they both don't want to be outdone by the other, and they want to make sure there are no hiccups during the Grand Opening. But a problem on first day can cause a stigma that lasts long after the problem is fixed.

I think I heard that the expression "phased opening" is being used now. If they're not sure Gringotts will be ready anytime soon, it stands to reason that they might officially open the DA shops at the end of May, Hogwarts Express and Ollivanders mid-June, and Gringotts in July. Three Grand Openings for triple the publicity and a much earlier cash flow, as it would enable them to compete with Disney's mine train from the get-go. But I guess that's not in line with their agreement with JK Rowling. So....we wait. And wait. And wait...

I think I heard that the expression "phased opening" is being used now. If they're not sure Gringotts will be ready anytime soon, it stands to reason that they might officially open the DA shops at the end of May, Hogwarts Express and Ollivanders mid-June, and Gringotts in July. Three Grand Openings for triple the publicity and a much earlier cash flow, as it would enable them to compete with Disney's mine train from the get-go. But I guess that's not in line with their agreement with JK Rowling. So....we wait. And wait. And wait...

I'm really curious where this expression is being used, because as we've been through many times WB didn't allow that the first time and won't allow it this time.

I'm pretty sure every person "in the know" on this site has knocked it down.

But for some reason it comes up every 8 hours like clockwork.

Photo%20May%2014%2C%2012%2049%2003%20PM.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering it didn't happen for Phase I and completely failed for MK..I don't think that would be a smart assumption

This is how it is always. They have an opening day. They do softs that are unannounced. Seriously guys is this your first rodeo?

Sorry, big boy, some of us don't live in Florida and are just trying to piece together things we have read - on forums, you know, like this one - due to Universal's complete lack of communication about timing thus far. Some of us decided weeks ago to purchase tickets for a flight to Orlando (because the longer you wait, the more expensive they get) and are just trying to figure out one way or another whether there's a snowball's chance in hell of attending a soft opening or whether we should just plan on doing some Disney this time around. Some of us would like a little advanced knowledge about something, anything, prior to our upcoming trip, and with comments about the Gringotts ride of death and doom on the one hand, coupled with smarmy "Chill, noobs, announcement's comin' any day now, sheesh" comments from snotty Orlandians on the other, it's a little frustrating for those of us who aren't BFFs with people who work at Universal. Which is why we're reading your damn forum in the first place. So maybe a little more, I dunno, compassion? tolerance? hospitality? is in order?

And they say the French are rude.

J'en ai tellement marre de ces connards chiants. Putain!

P.S. Why even have a soft opening thread at all if it's so impossible to predict possible soft opening dates in advance based on TM date and opening date info? Just post a "No way to know nuthin'. Check #potterwatch, noobs" message and lock the thread if that's the case.

Last edited:
Sorry, big boy, some of us don't live in Florida and are just trying to piece together things we have read - on forums, you know, like this one - due to Universal's complete lack of communication about timing thus far. Some of us decided weeks ago to purchase tickets for a flight to Orlando (because the longer you wait, the more expensive they get) and are just trying to figure out one way or another whether there's a snowball's chance in hell of attending a soft opening or whether we should just plan on doing some Disney this time around. Some of us would like a little advanced knowledge about something, anything, prior to our upcoming trip, and with comments about the Gringotts ride of death and doom on the one hand, coupled with smarmy "Chill, noobs, announcement's comin' any day now, sheesh" comments from snotty Orlandians on the other, it's a little frustrating for those of us who aren't BFFs with people who work at Universal. Which is why we're reading your damn forum in the first place. So maybe a little more, I dunno, compassion? tolerance? hospitality? is in order?

P.S. Why even have a soft opening thread at all if it's so impossible to predict possible soft opening dates in advance based on TM date and opening date info? Just post a "No way to know nuthin'. Check #potterwatch, noobs" message and lock the thread if that's the case.
I don't believe Test Track is from the Orlando area.I believe he lives in the northeast near my area. He's in the same situation as we are.

:doh:

Seirously? I mean really? What do you want people to say? "My crystal ball says there will be softs at 2PM on June 7th for 2 hours!"?

Come on. It doesn't work like that. Softs are random, unscheduled events. The land is supposed to open mid to late June. There will probably be softs before hand. That's it. That's the info. Don't like it? Deal with it.

Just a thought...maybe you should wait for a grand opening date before spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on an attraction that may or may not be open. It would save you a lot of anxiety I am sure. I am starting to think about a trip in November personally. That's when I visisted Phase I last time, and had no real issues with long lines or insanse crowds. It's really hot out in June-September. Just warning ya.

Except testtrack is right.. That's exactly how it works. :lol:

I actually agree with part of this...I thought this thread was supposed to be a, "Hey, they are doing soft openings now!" type of deal instead of people asking for dates that are unconfirmed.
That being said, I am not headed there until October anyways, but I guess I do not understand what this thread is supposed to be (other than a way to keep those types of questions off the main discussion pages).

It's official! I just received my invitation to a "Media & VIP preview" of Diagon Alley for June 17-20. Note that it doesn't say "grand opening," hopefully they won't pull a 7DMT and keep the public out until July...

I kinda think of this as a soft spoiler thread... where people can discuss the new areas without ruining it for others. As far as when a soft open occurs and when it ends abruptly, I suggest anyone expecting admittance into the new area postpone their visit for 365 days.

I'm from Cleveland and booked dates months ahead of time. I'm in that same boat as everyone.

We don't know. Period. I'm just frustrated at certain sites giving people false hope of something that's at the whim of area managers.

Reactions: Magistra
It's official! I just received my invitation to a "Media & VIP preview" of Diagon Alley for June 17-20. Note that it doesn't say "grand opening," hopefully they won't pull a 7DMT and keep the public out until July...

Wow, that does seem later than I would have expected for a media preview. Makes 1st of the month softs seem less likely, just assuming, nothing to base that on really.

:doh:

Seirously? I mean really? What do you want people to say? "My crystal ball says there will be softs at 2PM on June 7th for 2 hours!"?

Come on. It doesn't work like that. Softs are random, unscheduled events. The land is supposed to open mid to late June. There will probably be softs before hand. That's it. That's the info. Don't like it? Deal with it.

It wasn't the lack of concrete information that bothered me. It was the attitude. If we're all in this boat together, how about a little rowing and a little less knocking people upside the head with an oar when they suggest a possibility of something that seems ludicrous to you personally?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Status
Not open for further replies.