Disney+ | Page 82 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm surprised. By Disney standards, the level of sex and violence in those shows is pretty high.

If they're okay on Disney+, lots of stuff from the Fox (and Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures) vaults certainly would be, too...

Fuel to the fire: Netflix Marvel shows got leaked to be releasing on March 16th, a week after Investor Day.
Of course the shows are going to Disney+, but are they coming to the Disney+ in the US? The article even brings this up.

I'm surprised. By Disney standards, the level of sex and violence in those shows is pretty high.

If they're okay on Disney+, lots of stuff from the Fox (and Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures) vaults certainly would be, too...
Thank god, finally making Disney plus a much better service these kinda shows on it
I wouldn’t celebrate yet.

Sorry for DP, but the only country that Disney has announced these shows going to Disney+ in March is Canada. It’s a great bet all other countries with Star will get them, but I’d put money on them going to Hulu in the US still.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This looks cute enough and while it's aimed at a younger audience, it has me interested from the Broadway angle.

Well everyone, it's finally happening. TV-MA content is beginning to come onto Disney+, beginning with the Marvel Netflix shows for NA.

The only way this makes sense if it is going to still be TV-MA and not editing the naughty bits down (that Jessica Jones/Luke Cage sex scene is pretty much NC-17).

I'm also thinking with Investors Day coming up, they may announce they are bringing the Star brand to the US for Mature content.

So this popped into my head... we should find out for sure what Disney thinks of AoS and The Defenders shows once they drop. Clearly Disney thinks highly of them as they are willing to breaker their self-imposed no TV-MA content to put them on, but my points is, where will they be within the Marvel section?

They could be either listed as MCU content like the Disney+ shows, just put under the shows sections, be considered "Legacy content". I'm going to assume that Agents of SHIELD will officially going be considered non-canon by Disney (and we'll have to hear whining from those fans), but since we now have Fisk and Murdock in the MCU, I think there is a chance we see the Marvel shows listed as MCU content as they pop into the MCU so right now the only one considered canon would be Daredevil (if that makes sense).

Hulu has control of all other Marvel TV currently, besides these. All they need to is port them over eventually. Legion, The Gifted, Cloak & Dagger, Helstrom, MODOK, and Hit-Monkey. I assume those will stay over there until Hulu finally is done and dealt with, although I actually can't imagine they are in much of a hurry to close up shop on Hulu since that's their best performing streamer. Best case scenario is Hulu becomes mostly a live-TV platform that houses licensed content. Anything Disney owned that's a non-Hulu original would at the very least be brought over to Disney+ in this best case.

Also, what does this mean for Deadpool and Logan? I have to hope good things.
--------
Also:

He's mostly written for 2000's sitcoms in his career. He also co-created 1600 Penn with Josh Gad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerroddragon
This feels like Cox is trying to set expectations for when he's in She-Hulk or whatever they do with him. Sure, there won't be any blood or there isn't any drug usage, but that's not something that's necessary to do Daredevil in live action. The Batman got a PG-13 rating and is supposedly brutal. He could also be talking about a new Daredevil project for Disney+ maybe? I doubt we'd see a Season 4, but I guess there is hope. A post-blip season would be interesting.

The only things that matter between a hard PG-13 rating and an R-rating is that for PG-13, you can only use one F-bomb, no nudity, no blood, and no drugs. I ask again looking at that very tiny list of things, are any of them truly needed for Daredevil to be portrayed?

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe Echo could lean into the R-rated aspect? We are getting TV-MA content on Disney+, and they're seemingly preparing for the future as it stands, so if Echo is a bit more adult in nature it'd make sense.

Speaking of preparing for the future, Disney+ will be as of beginning in the later half of 2022, shifting into a two-tier subscription service with Ad-Free, and Ad-Supported.

I feel like these companies actively want people to watch pirated movies/shows.

Ad free or there is literally no difference. We dont want ad's its why we left TV

Who knows, maybe Echo could lean into the R-rated aspect? We are getting TV-MA content on Disney+, and they're seemingly preparing for the future as it stands, so if Echo is a bit more adult in nature it'd make sense.

Speaking of preparing for the future, Disney+ will be as of beginning in the later half of 2022, shifting into a two-tier subscription service with Ad-Free, and Ad-Supported.

Not surprising AVOD's (ad-supported video on demand) are very lucrative in recouping money. Hulu is Disney's cash cow out of their streaming services because of this. It's also the biggest money maker in the AVOD space.

I feel like these companies actively want people to watch pirated movies/shows.

Ad free or there is literally no difference. We dont want ad's its why we left TV
You still have a no-ad option...

The combination of an ad version/age restricted section definitely points to Hulu’s days being numbered.

The combination of an ad version/age restricted section definitely points to Hulu’s days being numbered.
I don't think Hulu will fully go away as much as turn into a streaming TV service only. However, it's worth noting that most of the stuff that left Netflix at the end of February that Disney owns is going to Hulu. The service performs very well with ad-revenue with the Live TV and ad-supported segment.

Reactions: Nico and SeventyOne
This feels like Cox is trying to set expectations for when he's in She-Hulk or whatever they do with him. Sure, there won't be any blood or there isn't any drug usage, but that's not something that's necessary to do Daredevil in live action. The Batman got a PG-13 rating and is supposedly brutal. He could also be talking about a new Daredevil project for Disney+ maybe? I doubt we'd see a Season 4, but I guess there is hope. A post-blip season would be interesting.

The only things that matter between a hard PG-13 rating and an R-rating is that for PG-13, you can only use one F-bomb, no nudity, no blood, and no drugs. I ask again looking at that very tiny list of things, are any of them truly needed for Daredevil to be portrayed?

It strikes me as very ironic that these shows are moving to Disney+ when the entire point of the Netflix/Marvel deal originally was the perfect place to do darker, more mature Marvel content for these characters. Now they are going to listed alongside the more standard MCU content. Very odd. I guess the ratings system they're implementing is their only option but we all know most parents are going to be too ignorant/lazy/oblivious to use it and now kids all over are going to watch Jessica Jones and Luke Cage get it on. Or watch the Kingpin crush a guy's skull with a car door. Maybe they should have just put the shows on Hulu.

Reactions: Coasted
It strikes me as very ironic that these shows are moving to Disney+ when the entire point of the Netflix/Marvel deal originally was the perfect place to do darker, more mature Marvel content for these characters. Now they are going to listed alongside the more standard MCU content. Very odd. I guess the ratings system they're implementing is their only option but we all know most parents are going to be too ignorant/lazy/oblivious to use it and now kids all over are going to watch Jessica Jones and Luke Cage get it on. Or watch the Kingpin crush a guy's skull with a car door. Maybe they should have just put the shows on Hulu.
No, it's not odd because of that. It also won't show up by default. You will literally have to go through the effort of going online to your Disney+ account and changing the rating cap as the default is TV-14.

Daredevil was only the third live-action Marvel show done by Disney/ABC Studios (via Netflix) only after Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Then the subsequent shows, etc. It was thought that the characters were too dark for the MCU at the time, yes, but now we are two phases later and Feige has found a way to bring them in, in part because fans loved the characters (except for Iron Fist).

When Disney made the deal for Marvel to make these shows it was in 2014 as a part of an 8 year deal to license out Disney films and shows to Netflix. Disney+ wasn't even a thought at this point and time. Deadpool 1 & 2 along with Logan (along with these Netflix Marvel shows) showed Disney that their audience will show up for R-rated Marvel content. MODOK and Hit-Monkey have also been entertaining adult-animation shows on Hulu in the past few years.

My question is, they're allowing TV-MA/R content, when will we get Deadpool or Logan? Separate from Marvel, what about movies like Die Hard or any number of the R-rated Fox/Searchlight/Touchstone movies?

No, it's not odd because of that. It also won't show up by default. You will literally have to go through the effort of going online to your Disney+ account and changing the rating cap as the default is TV-14.

Daredevil was only the third live-action Marvel show done by Disney/ABC Studios (via Netflix) only after Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Then the subsequent shows, etc. It was thought that the characters were too dark for the MCU at the time, yes, but now we are two phases later and Feige has found a way to bring them in, in part because fans loved the characters (except for Iron Fist).

When Disney made the deal for Marvel to make these shows it was in 2014 as a part of an 8 year deal to license out Disney films and shows to Netflix. Disney+ wasn't even a thought at this point and time. Deadpool 1 & 2 along with Logan (along with these Netflix Marvel shows) showed Disney that their audience will show up for R-rated Marvel content. MODOK and Hit-Monkey have also been entertaining adult-animation shows on Hulu in the past few years.

My question is, they're allowing TV-MA/R content, when will we get Deadpool or Logan? Separate from Marvel, what about movies like Die Hard or any number of the R-rated Fox/Searchlight/Touchstone movies?

The Netflix shows were adult because the venue allowed them to be. If the show had been on ABC as Agents of Shield, just as an example, it would have been more Silver-Age type of Daredevil. That kind of content shouldn't be on Disney+, imo. I'm not talking about bringing the characters into future MCU projects. They should be involved, well Daredevil should be. The rest of the characters suck to be honest. But it's just mixed messaging/branding to me but whatever.

The Netflix shows were adult because the venue allowed them to be. If the show had been on ABC as Agents of Shield, just as an example, it would have been more Silver-Age type of Daredevil. That kind of content shouldn't be on Disney+, imo. I'm not talking about bringing the characters into future MCU projects. They should be involved, well Daredevil should be. The rest of the characters suck to be honest. But it's just mixed messaging/branding to me but whatever.
Well yes. But Netflix was also one of the only streaming services in 2014 when the deal for these shows was made along with Hulu and an early version of Prime Video I think. But Netflix was the most dominant. It had everything in one place still at that time, so it was seen as better than the others.

The point is though, Netflix isn't the only streaming giant around anymore and as i've said time and time again, in European countries and even Canada, they have a plethora of TV-MA/R content on Disney+ via the Star brand, so these will fit right in. What these are doing in the US is acting as an excuse to open up the content range to TV-MA in the US.

Could we see a Daredevil Season 4? Possibly. But more importantly, this opens the door for them to add any TV-MA series or R rated movies to the service that they want. And again, as long as parents are using the parental controls correctly, they con't be able to access any of this stuff from their account, nor will they even be able to get into a parents account that is unlocked to TV-MA without a passcode.