Disney+ | Page 83 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well yes. But Netflix was also one of the only streaming services in 2014 when the deal for these shows was made along with Hulu and an early version of Prime Video I think. But Netflix was the most dominant. It had everything in one place still at that time, so it was seen as better than the others.

The point is though, Netflix isn't the only streaming giant around anymore and as i've said time and time again, in European countries and even Canada, they have a plethora of TV-MA/R content on Disney+ via the Star brand, so these will fit right in. What these are doing in the US is acting as an excuse to open up the content range to TV-MA in the US.

Could we see a Daredevil Season 4? Possibly. But more importantly, this opens the door for them to add any TV-MA series or R rated movies to the service that they want. And again, as long as parents are using the parental controls correctly, they con't be able to access any of this stuff from their account, nor will they even be able to get into a parents account that is unlocked to TV-MA without a passcode.

I get all that but there's still something weird to me about it. Hopefully, the ratings system works well. On the plus side, perhaps this means the characters won't have to rebooted and they'll count as canon after all? I can't see why else they'd bother putting the shows on Disney+.

Hopefully, the ratings system works well.
They’ve had they ratings system in place internationally since February last year and they’ve had no issues so it should be fine. I mean, technically we have the same ratings system, it just only goes to TV-14 as of now instead of TV-MA.

Reactions: SpyderDan
Disney+ keeps burying their international series , giving them absolutely no promotion outside of a single tweet. It’s so disappointing considering Weekend Family and especially Snowdrop were solid. Unfortunately Snowdrop wasn’t dubbed though for whatever reason.

So upgrading an account to TV-MA is extremely simple. On your first log in today or whenever, you'll be asked if you want access o the full catalog and all you have to do is say yes, click who you want access for and if you want to put in a pin code, then do that. Definitely weird to see Daredevil on the Disney+ home screen since we've always known it as a Netflix original and I think this might be Netflix's first loss of an original to it's production company.

Eric Goldberg made a good point that it would be helpful for audiences if maybe Disney created a Defenders collection and helped to show which order the show seasons were properly meant to be watched in. Here's the correct order if you forgot.

Gotta say, my VPN just became wayyy more powerful now that it can access content above TV-14 outside the US. Of note, the Netflix series a not listed within the MCU timeline, but only within the "Marvel Series & Specials" sub-section, along with AOS. Not sure if it's quite "confirmation" that they aren't part of the MCU, but at least as far as Disney+ is concerned, they are just Marvel Series and have no MCU connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Hopefully this is the first crack in the door opening for non-family content coming to the service (from the Fox and Touchstone libraries, say).
I'll honestly be a little surprised if we don't get Die Hard for the holiday season. I think getting to today where the US now has some TV-MA content was honestly the biggest hurdle. Now it's about just keep rolling out some mature library catalog stuff each month to keep building more adult-oriented shows and movies.

The goal should really be to get at lest one major TV-PG, one TV-14, and one TV-MA title per month, so in effect, adding something for everyone. D+ needs more to binge and the easiest way to do that is by you know, adding bingeable titles. Modern Family, New Girl, HIMYM, Fresh off the Boat, Malcom in the Middle, Buffy, Atlanta, It's Always Sunny, etc, etc. It's not that hard, especially since they aren't caught up in licensing agreements right now, New Girl and It's Always sunny being the exception, but New Girl reverts to Disney next month.

It'll probably take about a year or more since they seem keen on rolling out an TV-MA content for Disney+ fairly slow still. If they wanted to go faster, they would've added way more of Marvel's library. I'm talking things like Deadpool 1 & 2, Logan, Legion (would've been a good way to start the FX stuff rolling in), Cloak & Dagger, Helstrom, M.O.D.O.K, Hit-Monkey, Daredevil (2003), Elektra, The Punisher films, etc, etc. Doesn't matter if it's great or a flaming turd, today was the day to go all in on Marvel stuff instead of a slow drip.

Also, like, now that we have this in place, can we please start getting some more Adult Animation on the service than just The Simpsons? Bob's Burgers would sure be a great place to start considering it's movie is coming out in 2 months and it's also probably the most PG of all of the ones 20th Century owns anyway.

Last edited:
A rare non-franchise show on Disney+ that isn't appealing specifically to pre-teens or under and the story is something that is easy to get sucked in on for all ages, especially since this is a 6 episode series that is easy to binge. If I had to describe the show, i'd say it's got a bit of the Stranger Things feel to it, but it's also playing around with time travel/multiversal stuff.

Reactions: Coasted
Saw that Man In The Arena surprise dropped in the US and some areas abroad. Just like with The Beatles: Get Back, there's no rating, but I changed from TV MA to TV-14 and Man In The Arena disappears in the US. In the UK, it's rated 16+, which is virtually TV-MA, so no surprise there.

Glad that they are at least using the higher content ratings to justify putting some high quality library content on the service that isn't just the Marvel shows. Still though, we need to get to the VAST library that Touchstone, Fox, Searchlight, etc have, although much of it is caught up if licensing agreements with other streamers. A big drop of their Adult Animated shows would be much appreciated for the US audience. Things like Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, The Great North, etc, etc. Central Park on Apple TV+ and a few shows on Netflix are also 20th animation projects that will revert over time.

Tbh, as time goes on, the sale of Miramax seems like one of the worst moves of Iger's tenure as time goes on now that everyone has their own streaming service. as that would have given them things like Pulp Fiction, Chicago, Reservoir Dogs, Clerks, Shakespeare In Love, The Piano, The Cider House Rules, Kill Bill 1 & 2, Gangs of New York, etc. There's a ton of academy nominated movies in just the 23 years Disney owned it and now a competitor in Paramount owns Miramax and it's catalog.

So I know Chapek has mentioned moving more general entertainment to Disney+, but even this surprises me. In something that strikes me as more of a move i'd expect them to make from ABC to Hulu, they are moving Dancing With The Stars off of ABC entirely and will be airing the show live, weekly this fall on Disney+ in the US and Canada.

Moving the convo over here....

It is interesting, honestly. D+ is huge so this could boost the show, depending on what kind of celebrities they get, or it’s the nail in the coffin for DWTS. Will be interesting to see if changes in front of the camera, and behind the camera, happen also with this.

It has done decent in ratings so it’s interesting, Chapek clearly has put a lot of emphasis on D+, so is this actually an investment in the show? Feels like a re-boot type move almost.

Moving the convo over here....

It is interesting, honestly. D+ is huge so this could boost the show, depending on what kind of celebrities they get, or it’s the nail in the coffin for DWTS. Will be interesting to see if changes in front of the camera, and behind the camera, happen also with this.

It has done decent in ratings so it’s interesting, Chapek clearly has put a lot of emphasis on D+, so is this actually an investment in the show? Feels like a re-boot type move almost.
Supposedly Disney is moving Monday Night Football from ESPN to ABC in the fall, so this was sort of getting kicked off of its time slot. The show was one of the Top 5 unscripted shows for Fall 2021 by ratings.

This is a very potentially beneficial move as unlike So You Think You Can Dance?, which gets most of its viewership from cities, DWTS gets most of its viewership from the rural areas, where internet isn't always as accessible and if you look it up, studies have found that mostly women and older people watch the show.

Kareem Daniel, chairman of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution, cited that the move was in part because he is trying to "expand demographic reach" for Disney+. This move will allow them to tap into those rural markets that may reject streaming if they really want to watch the show. It will also allow them an avenue to gain new subscribers within the US, which is something they have stalled on.

I think they finally saw that just being a PG/PG-13 service can only get you so far too, which is why they finally added parental controls and are allowing us to set content ratings at TV-MA, which hopefully we'll see taken advantage of by Disney and they start adding R-rated movies for library content and some of the 100's of TV-MA shows that they have.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Supposedly Disney is moving Monday Night Football from ESPN to ABC in the fall, so this was sort of getting kicked off of its time slot. The show was one of the Top 5 unscripted shows for Fall 2021 by ratings.

This is a very potentially beneficial move as unlike So You Think You Can Dance?, which gets most of its viewership from cities, DWTS gets most of its viewership from the rural areas, where internet isn't always as accessible and if you look it up, studies have found that mostly women and older people watch the show.

Kareem Daniel, chairman of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution, cited that the move was in part because he is trying to "expand demographic reach" for Disney+. This move will allow them to tap into those rural markets that may reject streaming if they really want to watch the show. It will also allow them an avenue to gain new subscribers within the US, which is something they have stalled on.

I think they finally saw that just being a PG/PG-13 service can only get you so far too, which is why they finally added parental controls and are allowing us to set content ratings at TV-MA, which hopefully we'll see taken advantage of by Disney and they start adding R-rated movies for library content and some of the 100's of TV-MA shows that they have.
Agreed overall. Especially if they get Tom Bergeron back, which I doubt, it could give them more subs for this fall at least.

Interesting to note, Tyra Banks has yet to comment on the move. I assume she is out as host.

Reactions: Nick
So, "The Kardashians" was the most watched premiere episode for Hulu. I post this here though because in pretty much all countries except the US, it's airing on Disney+.

Disney announced it was also the biggest Disney+ premiere ever, beating out the Marvel and Star Wars shows. This is the type of content Disney+ needs to balance out some of the more male skewing shows they have tbh. I may not personally care for this, but there are plenty out there who do and this is a great way to grow the service and get new subscribers.

So, "The Kardashians" was the most watched premiere episode for Hulu. I post this here though because in pretty much all countries except the US, it's airing on Disney+.

Disney announced it was also the biggest Disney+ premiere ever, beating out the Marvel and Star Wars shows. This is the type of content Disney+ needs to balance out some of the more male skewing shows they have tbh. I may not personally care for this, but there are plenty out there who do and this is a great way to grow the service and get new subscribers.

I weep for our society lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog