Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not arguing whether or not Pixar should have made the movie, but does making films like "American Pie" make Universal's films like "To Kill A Mockingbird" any less credible? As the company grows, it's going to start making different kinds of movies. Not everything is going to be for everyone.

Universal is a different beast entirely. Pixar puts out one film a year, and the great thing about all of them save for the Cars films is that they WERE for everyone. They were all different movies and genres (Western, Buddy Comedy, Adventure), but they rose above the "kiddy movie" and made them spectacular.

And yeah, Cars the movie doesn't deserve it. But maybe what they're building will.

The main ride will be good, possibly great. But the rest of the land gets a shrug of the shoulders from me.

Universal is a different beast entirely. Pixar puts out one film a year, and the great thing about all of them save for the Cars films is that they WERE for everyone. They were all different movies and genres (Western, Buddy Comedy, Adventure), but they rose above the "kiddy movie" and made them spectacular.

My point was I'm not going to crucify Pixar for making a couple movies to turn a profit. The first movie made almost half a billion in theaters alone. As long as they plow that money back into the company, I'm fine with it. Now if they turn Cars into anything more than it is, I'm going to start siding with you.

The reason this land was even built was because of the outrageous toys and merch sales, which is also the reason Cars 2 was made. Lord knows it wasn't because of the story.

But I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope that we can TELL Disney spent that kind of money on this attraction when we're on it, and not sit in our Lightning McQueens wondering who needs to be fired.

Seeing the sales side of things I gotta agree to a certain degree with the merch sales. When the second movie launched the toys flew off the shelves, I couldn't understand it but no matter what character well except for the sheriff they were gone. Btw another movie franchise that heavily benefits from merch sales, Transformers...

Cars was fine.

Cars 2 was an abomination (and this coming from someone who sincerely went into the film with a smile and some excitement).

Agreed. Lasseter was the only reason that film didn't go straight to DVD/Blu-ray. And after watching it in the theaters (and having enjoyed Cars), it most certainly should have.

Used to love Lasseter, but now I feel he's become disassociated with his audience. He defended Cars 2 saying it was a very special film... to him.

Lassester caught the Lucas bug. With great power, comes great responsibility. He couldn't handle the responsibility. And absolutely power corrupted absolutely.

Feel free to thrown in any other "too smart/powerful for their own good" cliches.

Used to love Lasseter, but now I feel he's become disassociated with his audience. He defended Cars 2 saying it was a very special film... to him.

Any word on Pixar losing some of its best people? I would figure that a few of them would go off and start their own company. On the other hand, they were probably offered 10-15yr mega stock options in Disney to keep them nailed in place.

Any word on Pixar losing some of its best people? I would figure that a few of them would go off and start their own company. On the other hand, they were probably offered 10-15yr mega stock options in Disney to keep them nailed in place.

Well Brad Bird left to do Mission Impossible and pursue live action.

They also lost Brad Lewis, a promising new director who Lasseter felt was doing a disservice to Cars 2 so he relieved of his directing duties, causing Lewis to leave Pixar. They also lost Jan Pinkava, original director of Ratatoille, who was upset about losing the gig. To be fair, rumor has it that that film was an absolute mess before Brad Bird swooped in to salvage it. It also looks like Brenda Chapman might leave. She was the original director for Brave (as well The Prince of Egypt) before she was relieved of her duties.

They also lost Brad Lewis, a promising new director who Lasseter felt was doing a disservice to Cars 2 so he relieved of his directing duties, causing Lewis to leave Pixar. They also lost Jan Pinkava, original director of Ratatoille, who was upset about losing the gig. To be fair, rumor has it that that film was an absolute mess before Brad Bird swooped in to salvage it. It also looks like Brenda Chapman might leave. She was the original director for Brave (as well The Prince of Egypt) before she was relieved of her duties.

That makes total sense to me. The best working in the new Disney Pixar with demands to recreate old stuff and create salable characters would probably run up against a wall. Good news is, they are probably worth far more individually than any Disney stock could earn them.

[video=youtube;SCqaX3GPLD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCqaX3GPLD0[/video]

[video=youtube;cs_u9y-d-8g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs_u9y-d-8g&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
Disney launched a new preview site. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/cars-land/

A couple of things here. First: RSS will top out at 40 MPH... 25 less than Test Track. Not all together surprising, as it is a "family" attraction, but I was hoping it would hit a higher speed.

Second: Confirmation that there will be NO MATER whatsoever in Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. Instead, it will feature a "giant jukebox that [Mater] personally built from his prized possessions!" (The ! is there's, not mine, mine would look like this :mean:)

You can just make out the jukebox in the concept art below.

Picture-2-1024x531.png

Ironically enough, Disney is still trying to sell the notion that Mater will be present by prominently featuring a concept art of Mater in the middle of the Jamboree (even though the official description confirms that he won't be).

That is all.

^To be fair, I think they've saved appearances by most characters for the dark ride portion of Radiator Springs Racers.

^To be fair, I think they've saved appearances by most characters for the dark ride portion of Radiator Springs Racers.

This may be true for the other characters, but it doesn't explain how the elaborate themeing for this attraction got widdled down to the bare bones, carnival-style ride you see before you. This was being billed as an "outdoor dark ride". That junkyard was to be littered with a dozen interactive features activated by the vehicles passing by, and the highlight was to have been the giant Mater in that shack. Now we have dirt and Mater's shack... and it's locked up with a giant jukebox in front of it. :bang: