Disney's Snow White (Live-Action Retelling) | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Snow White (Live-Action Retelling)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Yes, Disney is doing Snow White again.

It has been announced, that Rachel Zegler, coming hot off that of the upcoming West Side Story, and currently part of Shazam! Fury of The Gods; will be playing the titular Snow White, in the full length, live action adaptation; of Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Previously announced--Marc Webb will be directing that of the film, with Erin Cressida Wilson helming the script and for music, being done by that of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (La La Land, The Greatest Showman, and Aladdin). Filming was intended to begin last year; however due to the COVID pandemic, it has been since delayed to a 2022 start-date for production.

I hope that they saw the backlash that the Snow White ride at Disneyland got for still having the "true loves kiss" scene in it and they rework that for this version as that would be super creepy in live-action.

Reactions: Allomancer
I guess we have to look at the bright side: Disney is rapidly running out of animated classics they can remake/re-imagine in "live action."

The success of this project hinges on two things:

1. Who is cast as the Queen, and how evil she is allowed to be.
2. How the dwarfs are realized on-screen.

Those characters are arguably even more iconic than the title heroine, and if they don't get them right, the movie will not work.

Erin Cressida Wilson helming the script and for music, being done by that of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (La La Land, The Greatest Showman, and Aladdin).

There has yet to be an instance of people coming in and adding new songs to existing, beloved musicals where the new additions don't stylistically stick out.

I wish Pasek and Paul's LA LA LAND collaborator, Justin Hurwitz, was joining them in this effort, because I think he's got more of an old-fashioned sensibility than they do.

I hope that they saw the backlash that the Snow White ride at Disneyland got for still having the "true loves kiss" scene in it and they rework that for this version as that would be super creepy in live-action.
Wait..what?

She likes him how is that not cool?

Its cute that a kiss can save her life

But Disney hasn’t done one yet…

I just can't see them making one that tops Snow White & the Huntsman, which was a legitimately cool and fairly daring take on the story. Even Mirror, Mirror has its moments and checks many of the boxes I'm sure Disney will attempt to cover.

I like the casting, though. Rachel Zegler deserves better than the controversial press maelstrom that's inevitably coming for West Side Story.

I just can't see them making one that tops Snow White & the Huntsman, which was a legitimately cool and fairly daring take on the story. Even Mirror, Mirror has its moments and checks many of the boxes I'm sure Disney will attempt to cover.

I like the casting, though. Rachel Zegler deserves better than the controversial press maelstrom that's inevitably coming for West Side Story.
I was being sarcastic by saying Disney hasn't done one. We know at this point they're pretty much gonna do liva action remakes of all their animated movies, especially the princess movies. A Disney Snow White just doesnt really sound all that interesting.

I guess we have to look at the bright side: Disney is rapidly running out of animated classics they can remake/re-imagine in "live action."

The success of this project hinges on two things:

1. Who is cast as the Queen, and how evil she is allowed to be.
2. How the dwarfs are realized on-screen.

Those characters are arguably even more iconic than the title heroine, and if they don't get them right, the movie will not work.

There has yet to be an instance of people coming in and adding new songs to existing, beloved musicals where the new additions don't stylistically stick out.

I wish Pasek and Paul's LA LA LAND collaborator, Justin Hurwitz, was joining them in this effort, because I think he's got more of an old-fashioned sensibility than they do.

Just to hop on this train briefly, I 100% agree. That new song in the live action Aladdin just brought the whole thing to a standstill for me. (Will smith was great as genie too, but don’t get me started with the slow mo/fast forward mess that one jump ahead ended up being...)

Reactions: belloq87
Just to hop on this train briefly, I 100% agree. That new song in the live action Aladdin just brought the whole thing to a standstill for me. (Will smith was great as genie too, but don’t get me started with the slow mo/fast forward mess that one jump ahead ended up being...)
The new song was good, but it didn't fit Aladdin. It was written by Pasek & Paul in their patented style more or less. It was too modern and completely out of step with the tone of the rest of the songs. It would've been much more appropriate to have Alan Menkin write a new song (possibly with Lin-Manuel Miranda like he's doing with the new songs on The Little Mermaid movie).

And this new music won't be sitting alongside songs from 1992... but 1937.
New music can work, it just has to be written in the right style.

EDIT: Oof... I actually had not read the article to see that Pasek & Paul are writhing the new songs for this. Yeah, I have no hope for them to fit now. I expect the songs to be catchy, but I expect them to be completly out of step with the rest of the movie.

Last edited:
The new song was good, but it didn't fit Aladdin. It was written by Pasek & Paul in their patented style more or less. It was too modern and completely out of step with the tone of the rest of the songs. It would've been much more appropriate to have Alan Menkin write a new song (possibly with Lin-Manuel Miranda like he's doing with the new songs on The Little Mermaid movie).

Alan Menken collaborated with Pasek & Paul for "Speechless," and Menken was the one who wanted a more "contemporary" pop sound instead of Broadway. Menken made the choice to have all of his original Aladdin orchestrations completely gutted to sound more modern

Pasek & Paul are definitely capable of mimicking various musical styles through just changing the orchestrations. The reason we have no "classical" sounding songs from Pasek and Paul is that they have only been tasked with writing in a contemporary musical theater style for their projects

Last edited:
Alan Menken collaborated with Pasek & Paul for "Speechless," and Menken the one who wanted a more "contemporary" pop sound instead of Broadway. Menken made the choice to have all of the original Aladdin orchestrations completely gutted to be more pop and modern

Pasek & Paul are definitely capable of mimicking various musical styles through just changing the orchestrations. The reason we have no "classical" sounding songs from Pasek and Paul is that they have only been tasked with writing in contemporary musical theater style for their projects

Technically we do have some "classical stuf that has been popularized from Pasek & Paul, the most notable being the entire La La Land Soundtrack, which is more in line with the style of a 50's/60's Rodgers & Hammerstein musical than the other stuff they've done. For those who've been living under a rock and are unfamiliar:

I hate to be that guy but the songs and score for La La Land were composed and orchestrated by Justin Hurwitz while the lyrics were written by Pasek and Paul. But yes totally understand your point that you can make something sound "vintage" or "classical" through orchestrations

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy but the songs and score for La La Land were composed and orchestrated by Justin Hurwitz while the lyrics were written by Pasek and Paul. But yes totally understand your point that you can make something sound "vintage" or "classical" through orchestrations
If Disney is smart, they'll do something similar with whatever new songs are in this movie.

Pasek & Paul are definitely capable of mimicking various musical styles through just changing the orchestrations. The reason we have no "classical" sounding songs from Pasek and Paul is that they have only been tasked with writing in a contemporary musical theater style for their projects

The only score of theirs I like is Dogfight, which is definitely not modern sounding at all.