Disney's Snow White (Live-Action Retelling) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Snow White (Live-Action Retelling)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Peter Dinklage called out Disney about touting being progressive by having a Latina play Snow White, but still telling the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Disney responded, basically saying (and I’m paraphrasing here) “hop off, the seven little people are gonna be super progressive, too!”

Peter must be having some struggles at home first his comments about why people hated the end of GOT and now this...he seems to be just angry

Reactions: Mad Dog
Peter must be having some struggles at home first his comments about why people hated the end of GOT and now this...he seems to be just angry

He isn't wrong though. Minorities have been used in fairy tales/olden stories in an attempt to other or explain their mysticism....why do they have to be dwarves though...them being little people add nothing to the story.

He isn't wrong though. Minorities have been used in fairy tales/olden stories in an attempt to other or explain their mysticism....why do they have to be dwarves though...them being little people add nothing to the story.
First of all, I can guarantee they won’t refer to them as Dwarves.

But second, there’s a positive way to look at this if Disney want to keep them in. Look at it from the perspective of there’s not a ton of roles for little people and this would open up SEVEN main roles for people of shorter size, and I’d bet they won’t all be men, too.

I think Disney is really going to want to look like they are doing a very progressive take on Snow White.

But second, there’s a positive way to look at this if Disney want to keep them in. Look at it from the perspective of there’s not a ton of roles for little people and this would open up SEVEN main roles for people of shorter size, and I’d bet they won’t all be men, too.

I think Disney is really going to want to look like they are doing a very progressive take on Snow White.

just comes to show...Sydney White was ahead of its time.

Even if we are looking at the fact little people don't have a large amount of roles, they are being type casted into certain roles as seen here (part of the reason why Willow is iconic is the little person is the main lead and not just the side character to move the protagonist's journey)...if they want a really progressive role, make the prince a little person not the side character.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks

What's crazy is there was all this controversy around that Snow White and the Huntress movie ten years back with all the same arguments. That movie ended up using sfx for the dwarf characters and it was horrible. I agree with Dinklage here, it's an outdated stereotype and maybe they just shouldn't bother with that aspect of the story.

Reactions: quinnmac000
What's crazy is there was all this controversy around that Snow White and the Huntress movie ten years back with all the same arguments. That movie ended up using sfx for the dwarf characters and it was horrible. I agree with Dinklage here, it's an outdated stereotype and maybe they just shouldn't bother with that aspect of the story.
It's a retelling of DISNEY's Snow White though I thought. How would you even do that without them?

And if they don't do Dwarves, there will likely be a segment of the little person community angry that they took them out of the story and gave those jobs to normal sized people. It's a lose-lose scenario.

Dwarves aren't people..they are like Elves.

This is fantasy, im literally playing a game right now where you play as Dwarves mining for gold (deep rock galactic) have not seen anyone upset over that game...but when Disney does it....

Peter literally played so many people favorite character on GOT and them being in this movie allows for 7 smaller actors to shine and get more roles.

I actually don’t think the guy is out of line. He’s in an early episode of Entourage that pokes fun at his height and I think he generally has a sense of humor (for lack of a better phrase, I know that’s not really what this is about).

But I think he’s right for calling out Disney (and Hollywood in general) for their pseudo-inclusion. It’s annoying to hear that they’re making “progressive choices” because they made a casting decision that addresses one specific minority representation while ignoring others.

Real progress, IMO, would be just casting people that are best for the part regardless of race, ethnicity, physical stature, etc. and just letting them be characters without constantly pointing it out. Being a little person is not essential to the character of Sleepy, and having a POC cast as Snow White is not worthy of a self-congratulating press release.

Even their recent animated catalog has some steps to take. Yes, Encanto for example has been a great way for American audiences to get a glimpse into Colombian culture and representation, but wouldn’t it be great to have a Hispanic princess in a location-neutral story…you know, a movie that doesn’t constantly remind the audience that she’s Hispanic?

And if they don't do Dwarves, there will likely be a segment of the little person community angry that they took them out of the story and gave those jobs to normal sized people. It's a lose-lose scenario.

This is exactly what I mean…if Disney was as inclusive as they think they are, there’d be jobs for little people in the next Marvel movie, Star Wars movie, fairy tale adaptation, etc. They’re breaking down barriers that they themselves are enforcing.

TL;DR…I get where PD is coming from and think the reaction to his comments lack nuance.

I actually don’t think the guy is out of line. He’s in an early episode of Entourage that pokes fun at his height and I think he generally has a sense of humor (for lack of a better phrase, I know that’s not really what this is about).

But I think he’s right for calling out Disney (and Hollywood in general) for their pseudo-inclusion. It’s annoying to hear that they’re making “progressive choices” because they made a casting decision that addresses one specific minority representation while ignoring others.

Real progress, IMO, would be just casting people that are best for the part regardless of race, ethnicity, physical stature, etc. and just letting them be characters without constantly pointing it out. Being a little person is not essential to the character of Sleepy, and having a POC cast as Snow White is not worthy of a self-congratulating press release.

Even their recent animated catalog has some steps to take. Yes, Encanto for example has been a great way for American audiences to get a glimpse into Colombian culture and representation, but wouldn’t it be great to have a Hispanic princess in a location-neutral story…you know, a movie that doesn’t constantly remind the audience that she’s Hispanic?

This is exactly what I mean…if Disney was as inclusive as they think they are, there’d be jobs for little people in the next Marvel movie, Star Wars movie, fairy tale adaptation, etc. They’re breaking down barriers that they themselves are enforcing.

TL;DR…I get where PD is coming from and think the reaction to his comments lack nuance.
Well, Willow is coming back as a Disney+ series, so that’s something.

I can't imagine Gal Godot (playing The Evil Queen) and Greta Gerwig (onboard as a writer) or Marc Webb as Director would sign onto this film if they didn't have a plan to handle the dwarf scenario since it is clearly problematic in this day and age what Walt did in 1937.

I can't imagine Gal Godot (playing The Evil Queen) and Greta Gerwig (onboard as a writer) or Marc Webb as Director would sign onto this film if they didn't have a plan to handle the dwarf scenario since it is clearly problematic in this day and age what Walt did in 1937.

You will be surprised how tone deaf studios are...let's not forget even the most progressive musical of the summer had issues with the erasure of afro latinos in the film.

You will be surprised how tone deaf studios are...let's not forget even the most progressive musical of the summer had issues with the erasure of afro latinos in the film.
In The Heights was literally written from Lin's personal experiences. This was the type of neighborhood he grew up in. The only main role they could've maybe changed out and I would've been okay with would've been okay with would've been Melissa Berrera as Vanessa. Maybe someone like Ariana DeBose (although she's a bit old for the role) or an unknown.

If you look hard enough, you will always find a problem with something if you desire to find one. Certain people have an issue with the fact that Lin specifically casts POC for Hamiliton and along the same lines, the fact that the President wants the next Supreme Court justice will be a Black Woman.

You can't please everyone no matter what you do. The Last Jedi is a cinematic masterpiece and it gets crapped on left and right, but that's Star Wars fans for you.

I don’t really care about this live action remake, but Peter Dinklage’s comment bothered me because he said the dwarves live in a cave. They work in a gem mine and live in a cottage. He’s not even remotely correct about the elements of the story he finds worrisome.

In The Heights was literally written from Lin's personal experiences. This was the type of neighborhood he grew up in. The only main role they could've maybe changed out and I would've been okay with would've been okay with would've been Melissa Berrera as Vanessa. Maybe someone like Ariana DeBose (although she's a bit old for the role) or an unknown.

If you look hard enough, you will always find a problem with something if you desire to find one. Certain people have an issue with the fact that Lin specifically casts POC for Hamiliton and along the same lines, the fact that the President wants the next Supreme Court justice will be a Black Woman.

You can't please everyone no matter what you do. The Last Jedi is a cinematic masterpiece and it gets crapped on left and right, but that's Star Wars fans for you.
Even if it is...it doesn't fit in the story that was told

They had nooooo idea who Kylo, Snoke and Rey Where when they filmed the first film...then they say Rey is from now one then she is the grand daughter of Palp....I dislike the sequels because they had no plans made. Last Jedi director also seemed to just want to upset people, its fine to what to change some things up but to do it with the intention to piss fans off? What a bad relationship to have with you base

I none joking think TLJ is the best sequel but it also has little competition, the first film is wayyyyy to safe and all the mysteries are either dropped or changed in the sequels making the first film feel more pointless and then the last star wars film literally had the line "Palptine has returned...somehow" so its not hard to be the best sequel film, lol

I don’t care about Disney remakes but holy guacamole Batman the level of hate comments I’ve seen so far for its leading lady is, well unsurprising actually but still quite staggering. I didn’t read about what Rachel Zegler did nor did I see any movies featuring her so what gives?!

Last edited: