Dry 'n Tame Hotel Speculation (Project 566) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Dry 'n Tame Hotel Speculation (Project 566)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now y'all are talking my language with conventions and such. I work for an event management company and we obviously do a bunch of business in Orlando. I'm usually there at least 3 times a year strictly to work, but I can usually get an afternoon or two at UO. Believe me when I say that the biggest cash cow is our housing dept. Some of our clients who would not normally come to Orlando are now looking pretty hard with the boom in hotels, especially along I Drive. Comcast certainly understands where to follow the money. I'll also note too that some of the biggest complaints we get from attendees is when they're forced to stay on Disney property because they booked too late and all the hotels near the convention center are full.

Comcast is a cutthroat company, let's be honest. I would not be surprised to see them try and crush the competition around this hotel in order to buy up even more land around it.
Normally I would feel bad for the little guy, but there is a lot of riff-raff around there that I would like to see ousted from International Drive. Especially if Comcast can get that stretch of I-Drive looking as good as it does south of Sand Lake Road.

Now y'all are talking my language with conventions and such. I work for an event management company and we obviously do a bunch of business in Orlando. I'm usually there at least 3 times a year strictly to work, but I can usually get an afternoon or two at UO. Believe me when I say that the biggest cash cow is our housing dept. Some of our clients who would not normally come to Orlando are now looking pretty hard with the boom in hotels, especially along I Drive. Comcast certainly understands where to follow the money. I'll also note too that some of the biggest complaints we get from attendees is when they're forced to stay on Disney property because they booked too late and all the hotels near the convention center are full.
:thumbsup:...This

Reactions: Captain Tragedy
It seems like none of the rides have been touched yet which makes me think that hopefully they'll go to a new home.

Its nice to see them dismantling them. Which means either 1) sell them or 2) reuse them

I'm hoping they do both. A few "water park quality" slide/rafts would do wonders for that hotel site- particularly with little kids and particularly with the location.

It seems the "3 park pass" will be more common anyway- so its not like they "lose business" from staying at hotel instead of going to VB. The food and drinks will still be flowing while your 12 year old is using that slide over and over.

I think they should find a balance in using some of those slides as a selling feature to be massively better than a normal hotel pool for families- but not so good that you neglect a trip to VB.

Last edited:
Its nice to see them dismantling them. Which means either 1) sell them or 2) reuse them

I'm hoping they do both. A few "water park quality" slide/rafts would do wonders for that hotel site- particularly with little kids and particularly with the location.

It seems the "3 park pass" will be more common anyway- so its not like they "lose business" from staying at hotel instead of going to VB. The food and drinks will still be flowing while your 12 year old is using that slide over and over.

I think they should find a balance in using some of those slides as a selling feature to be massively better than a normal hotel pool for families- but not so good that you neglect a trip to VB.
If the new hotel has any water slides (I hope so), I seriously doubt they'd use the old Wet 'N Wild slides. They'll need so much maintenance over time. Buying new would be way cheaper.

It would be especially cool if they could use the old slides as a decorative thing, like how they used the old Hulk track as part of the entrance.

If the new hotel has any water slides (I hope so), I seriously doubt they'd use the old Wet 'N Wild slides. They'll need so much maintenance over time. Buying new would be way cheaper.

It would be especially cool if they could use the old slides as a decorative thing, like how they used the old Hulk track as part of the entrance.
I agree- but remember- several of these are just a few years old.

Then again, I have no clue the costs of these slides. If its just a few thousand- whatever- any savings would be minimal. How much are these things?

I can see there being a lot of small touches to WnW in the new hotel. Small things like the Mach 5 Diner, the Brain Wash cocktail or a raft from The Surge becoming a light fixture.

Reactions: Verbolten
I can see there being a lot of small touches to WnW in the new hotel. Small things like the Mach 5 Diner, the Brain Wash cocktail or a raft from The Surge becoming a light fixture.
Perhaps the Brain Wash tokens could get new life as laundry tokens.

Normally I would feel bad for the little guy, but there is a lot of riff-raff around there that I would like to see ousted from International Drive. Especially if Comcast can get that stretch of I-Drive looking as good as it does south of Sand Lake Road.

We have stayed at Best Westerns a lot over time and usually like them. We stayed at the one near the Orlando Convention Center one time and my wife, who is severely allergic to mold, began to have a lot of nasal congestion and asthma within minutes of going into our room. So, we crossed that one off our list. Several hotels along the strip look outdated and the strip itself feels like a blast from the 60's.

We have stayed at Best Westerns a lot over time and usually like them. We stayed at the one near the Orlando Convention Center one time and my wife, who is severely allergic to mold, began to have a lot of nasal congestion and asthma within minutes of going into our room. So, we crossed that one off our list. Several hotels along the strip look outdated and the strip itself feels like a blast from the 60's.
Yeah, there's even some sketchy ones still around like that down that nice stretch of I-Drive. Hopefully these places will get priced out as I-Drive skews more upscale with things like the new Universal hotels and the iSquare.

Status
Not open for further replies.