Dry 'n Tame Hotel Speculation (Project 566) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Dry 'n Tame Hotel Speculation (Project 566)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First post, but I find this new project so intriguing because of the themed possibilities Uni have to work with. @Disneyhead seems always spot on with his info. So, with this being heavily family-oriented and heavy family suite focused (smart move) what are the best possibilities to entice kids for long stays? Major themed pool complex and kid heavy activity options would be a must.

So, 2 jump out at me, with the first a natural continuation of what they’ve subtly done as the overall Resorts theme – basically, the Seven Seas. We have Royal Pacific (Pacific, of course), Portofino (Med), Hard Rock (Cali West Coast), Cabana Bay (50’s southern East Coast), Sapphire Falls (Caribbean), and even VB (South Seas). So, what’s left – maybe New England Upper East Coast a la Beach/Yacht Club or Boardwalk-ish as @scott_walker said? Maybe lake-themed to the pacific Northwest or Adirondack/Catskills ala a Wilderness Resort?

Or Option 2- a more IP-based theme, but a broad IP base such as Disney’s All Star complex. This one intrigues me since it would be a departure from the above and would be one that Loews might find a bit risky. But, the recent acquisition of DreamWorks, which hasn’t received any traction within the Parks as of yet, jumped out to me since it opens so many possibilities for themed wings or sections based on the many IP verticals that portfolio contains – even into the whole Xmas all year theme with that robust IP vertical. The themed activity options, themed pool options, etc., would limitless and kid/family magnet for increasing Length of Stay and on-site spend.

At some point, you have to think that Uni will need to dive into the Themed Resort Game if they want the full week from the family demographic.

Blue Sky, Armchair Imagineering is always fun, and this one’s going to be really fun to see if Uni takes the Themed Resort plunge….

For a family/value hotel, I too could see potential with Dreamworks movies....and Illumination movies, in the same way they approached the Jurassic park and minions kids rooms. I wasn't sure whether they'd be allowed to use the marvel superheroes for a hotel theme? But I'm sure that would be popular.

Reactions: clsteve
Wouldn't building a fairly tall themed tower of their design choosing be a way to block the visual blight they think that sky Plex thingy is going to bring to their area?
Skyplex and isquare if ever get built will be both be above 400 feet so looking at the vacant lot or to be vacant lot I should say and the height on one side of I-4 versus the other I expect if Universal is going to do 4000 rooms at least one Tower is going to be above 400 feet which would hide or match the sites of the other two ambitious projects to be seen

Adventura is more Miami Beach proper than South Beach. But a South Beach theme would rock for the I-Drive property.

Anyone else notice that the permit has a parking garage fronting a large part I-Drive? I find that...odd.
Would it be far-fetched to see Universal put a retail facing International Drive in the bottom of the garage especially if you're already going to have that many people on foot in the area anyway not to mention the buses that run along International at that point come from several different directions

The inside rooms of the Portifino blow Grand Floridian out of the water.
18 foot ceilings. Real brass and marble. Elevated beds. Grand Floridians rooms are basic Holiday Inn rooms. And getting kind of shabby. Nice lobby though.

Someday, I would love to understand how big the Disney lifestyler community is. Is it big enough to sustain Grand Floridian and the dessert parties and all that

Reactions: SkiBum
Someday, I would love to understand how big the Disney lifestyler community is. Is it big enough to sustain Grand Floridian and the dessert parties and all that

All that I can see is that GF doesn't discount much and is always busy. I wonder when they'll hit the tipping point on having too many hotels in the Orlando vicinity. UNI is building the hotel that this particular forum is covering with 4,000 rooms. They also have the new Aventura hotel and adding onto Cabana Bay. Disney has held pat for a while although they're converting to DVC but they are expanding CSR. I just wonder how many rooms before it hits critical mass.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
All that I can see is that GF doesn't discount much and is always busy. I wonder when they'll hit the tipping point on having too many hotels in the Orlando vicinity. UNI is building the hotel that this particular forum is covering with 4,000 rooms. They also have the new Aventura hotel and adding onto Cabana Bay. Disney has held pat for a while although they're converting to DVC but they are expanding CSR. I just wonder how many rooms before it hits critical mass.

These added rooms could end up massacring hotels in the near vicinity of the resorts, especially if Universal keeps prices competitive.

Reactions: Mad Dog and fryoj
These added rooms could end up massacring hotels in the near vicinity of the resorts, especially if Universal keeps prices competitive.

Yeah, the I-Drive hotels are the ones that are going to see the sting. Uni knows exactly how many people book offsite hotels through them and will gladly move that business to their hotels. While they would like to rob people from Disney, it's the I-drive business they are after. Especially when the South Campus goes online. It'll be interesting to see if Uni goes after the Convention crowds directly with their hotels as that is big money.

Yeah, the I-Drive hotels are the ones that are going to see the sting. Uni knows exactly how many people book offsite hotels through them and will gladly move that business to their hotels. While they would like to rob people from Disney, it's the I-drive business they are after. Especially when the South Campus goes online. It'll be interesting to see if Uni goes after the Convention crowds directly with their hotels as that is big money.

Comcast is a cutthroat company, let's be honest. I would not be surprised to see them try and crush the competition around this hotel in order to buy up even more land around it.

Comcast is a cutthroat company, let's be honest. I would not be surprised to see them try and crush the competition around this hotel in order to buy up even more land around it.
No doubt that will happen. That's the Comcast MO. Comcast is definitely courting the Convention business big bucks. And now they have the location (expansion plot) to accomplish it. My bet is that more of the hotels on the new plot of land will be business/ convention oriented than regular tourist oriented.

No doubt that will happen. That's the Comcast MO. Comcast is definitely courting the Convention business big bucks. And now they have the location (expansion plot) to accomplish it. My bet is that more of the hotels on the new plot of land will be business/ convention oriented than regular tourist oriented.

I think there needs to be a balance. Both Portofino and Royal Pacific have convention spaces and ballrooms, but still have good themes. I don't think Uni should go too far either way

I think there needs to be a balance. Both Portofino and Royal Pacific have convention spaces and ballrooms, but still have good themes. I don't think Uni should go too far either way

I think the south Campus hotels will all have "meeting space" with one being a high end hotel. Well themed, but with more convention space too. I think they all will be themed on some level. None will be just a convention space hotel. They have to be able to draw in the guests when there are no big conventions in town as well. But even there most themed hotels will have areas for these companies to have after parties and large meetings.

Reactions: knoxmyers
Sure, but the existence of the Orlando Convention across the street changes the mix. I would guess that they will have both, but hybrids like Sapphire Falls, be more oriented to the convention business traveler. They have shown the ability with Sapphire that they can pull off a hotel resort combining theme and business amenities into one.

Sure, but the existence of the Orlando Convention across the street changes the mix. I would guess that they will have both, but hybrids like Sapphire Falls, be more oriented to the convention business traveler. They have shown the ability with Sapphire that they can pull off a hotel resort combining theme and business amenities into one.

Plus, conventions mean dedicated customers for the most part. No guessing as you have the reservations set up and everything.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Eh. I think Sapphire leans too hard away from theme. It's not a bad looking hotel, but it is a boring looking one.

Status
Not open for further replies.