Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 121 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your salt shakers out ya'll.

Islands of Adventure

I really hope it is the SFX. But, if it isn't that; and is this, I will be albeit as happy as I'd be for that.

Plz no. I want the sfx, or at least a real coaster

Outside of it being faster- why would you rather have the sfx? The one with Arthur and how to train your dragon in dubai is pretty flippin awesome. It can all be indoor with lots of screens and sets and animatronics (like HTTYD) and basically be a faster and upgraded ET/Peter Pan ride, or it can be a combination of indoor and outdoor with set elements in Both (Like Arthur).
But if they can make the speed faster- It can have the slow dramatic dark ride elements with background screens and animatronic/real sets at the foreground like an updated ET, and still have a Thrill element similar to Gringotts with fast launches and "chase" scenes. The main advantage over the sfx is we can have some nice prolonged looks at scenes and have it be much more like a dark ride hybrid coaster. I'm all for a decent thrill as certain points though.

The most important element is it would likely drop the height requirement from 54" to likely 48" if still thrilling or possibly even 42"- but I'd rather 48". Either way, it'll be one of the shortest height requirements for a suspended. HTTYD has no height requirement- but it's too slow. I want some speed with this.

Reactions: clsteve and Alicia
Outside of it being faster- why would you rather have the sfx? The one with Arthur and how to train your dragon in dubai is pretty flippin awesome. It can all be indoor with lots of screens and sets and animatronics (like HTTYD) and basically be a faster and upgraded ET/Peter Pan ride, or it can be a combination of indoor and outdoor with set elements in Both (Like Arthur).
But if they can make the speed faster- It can have the slow dramatic dark ride elements with background screens and animatronic/real sets at the foreground like an updated ET, and still have a Thrill element similar to Gringotts with fast launches and "chase" scenes. The main advantage over the sfx is we can have some nice prolonged looks at scenes and have it be much more like a dark ride hybrid coaster. I'm all for a decent thrill as certain points though.

The most important element is it would likely drop the height requirement from 54" to likely 48" if still thrilling or possibly even 42"- but I'd rather 48". Either way, it'll be one of the shortest height requirements for a suspended. HTTYD has no height requirement- but it's too slow. I want some speed with this.

To me, why I would want the SFX coaster more-so than the Mack InvertPow Coaster; is that it would keep a balance in the park of having something with a high thrill factor next to Potter, while also being heavily themed.

Although, I did mention that if it's not the SFX and is the Mack InvertPow; then I am actually happy about it for a few reasons more than one. One in which, being that it would bring more potential unique showscenes for the attraction in many way's more than one.

Both I would be perfectly happy, but I'd hope to see the SFX a bit more than the InvertPow.

To me, why I would want the SFX coaster more-so than the Mack InvertPow Coaster; is that it would keep a balance in the park of having something with a high thrill factor next to Potter, while also being heavily themed.

Although, I did mention that if it's not the SFX and is the Mack InvertPow; then I am actually happy about it for a few reasons more than one. One in which, being that it would bring more potential unique showscenes for the attraction in many way's more than one.

Both I would be perfectly happy, but I'd hope to see the SFX a bit more than the InvertPow.

Sfx looks badass. No doubt.
I just feel like it's a very similar system to Gringotts- whereas the Mack IP seems like it's have more control over dark rides and storytelling. Particularly for physical sets and not just screens.

I just feel like it's a very similar system to Gringotts- whereas the Mack IP seems like it's have more control over dark rides and storytelling. Particularly for physical sets and not just screens.

To me, I don't compare the SFX coaster to the Gringott's ride system, as they are completely different beasts.

These are my thoughts exactly.

To me, I don't compare the SFX coaster to the Gringott's ride system, as they are completely different beasts.
How so? They both offs LMS launches, both offer 40 degree tilts and they both are basically turntables. Really, the only added element that I saw from sfx is it can do a vertical drop (not sure if Intamins could).

While yes, I agree they are different- I don't think they're that different. But I'm not an expert on the subject- just with my very limited knowledge they seem very similar whereas the Mack would be completely different.

Reactions: Scott W.
How so? They both offs LMS launches, both offer 40 degree tilts and they both are basically turntables. Really, the only added element that I saw from sfx is it can do a vertical drop (not sure if Intamins could).

While yes, I agree they are different- I don't think they're that different. But I'm not an expert on the subject- just with my very limited knowledge they seem very similar whereas the Mack would be completely different.

To me, it lies on multiple elements from the SFXC that the Intamin Darkcoaster doesn't do.

From Gringotts, we only see one element in this that is similar to the SFX; and that is the Tilt-Drop, and even then; the Intamin model only drops forwards while the Dynamic SFXC can go entirely backwards.

Another thing, is that the Turntables are within the ride vehicles of Gringotts at the get-go, while the SFXC is on an entirely different element to where it isn't apart of the ride trains.

The SFXC also has the capabilities to do inversions, and multiple elements that we haven't seen from Gringott's at all.

We also have to keep in mind, that only Universal has that ride system from Intamin as it stands.

As for the InvertPow, I think it has more potential for a dark ride focus while mixing the thrills to a slight degree.

Reactions: Andysol
For me I'd be all for the attraction being a Mack inverted powered coaster, I see a lot of potential for that system and quite frankly a Forbidden Forest darkride would be perfect for it. Another thing to consider is height requirement-wise, the Arthur ride at Europa Park is 39/40 inches, so that would be a great family-friendly darkride alternative to Forbidden Journey which has a 48 inch requirement.

(Yes, I know Forbidden Forest and "Family Friendly" may not go hand in hand, but if you're going to traumatize kids, you better start doing it when they're young.)

Get your salt shakers out ya'll.

Islands of Adventure

Well I was very disappointed after reading this title then skipping through the video trying to find one inversion or one powered section. I might have missed them because like I said I was skipping through but that wasn't at all what I was expecting, I saw the words Inverter and Powered and I instantly thought of the ride Volcano.
As far as which type of ride they go with I think heavily depends on how they plan to use the surrounding elements. If you fly over say the forbidden forest or over things in it an inverted would be more suitable but if you are supposed to see everything around and above you sitting down would definitely be more suited.

Put me down under the Mack Power Coaster wishlist. Plenty of new opportunity for an SFX south of the property imo.

Agreed, and there's another factor that just hit me. Right now there's two Mack Powered Inverts and they look to be running just fine.

However for the SFX coasters, well there's Mission Ferrari at Ferrari World in Abu Daubi, however that has yet to open. In fact anytime it seems to be brought up in news, it's some sort of delay. (One earlier report said it would be open this Summer, but others feel 2018 is more likely.) I would wait for that to open and see what kinks (and updates) come out of it. So a SFX coaster would be better as a later addition down south, rather then something that may be coming in just a couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Ohhh, Screamscape...:lmao:

And how would these RVs be themed story-wise? Another"enchanted bench"? :rolleyes:

What forms of transportation exist in the fiction?

In terms of flying, there is stuff like Flying motorized vehicles (like the Ford Angela and Sirius Blacks Motorcycle), Thestrials, Flying Carpets, and the iconic bunch; broomsticks.

I'd have to imagine that they would do something new though, unless if Mack does a custom job for Universal in terms of the ride vehicles and finally gives a go for Broomsticks in trying that.

Reactions: Quint and Andysol
However for the SFX coasters, well there's Mission Ferrari at Ferrari World in Abu Daubi, however that has yet to open. In fact anytime it seems to be brought up in news, it's some sort of delay. (One earlier report said it would be open this Summer, but others feel 2018 is more likely.) I would wait for that to open and see what kinks (and updates) come out of it.

What are you talking about that has Universal written all over it, releasing something too early to the public that isn't fully working and constantly breaks down just to say you have it done.

I just want the ride to have some sort of thrill factor. That powered invert just seems boring to me. I want this ride to make me scared out of my mind in line, and this just looks like a inverted dark ride with outdoor sections. If something has to replace dc, I want it to be a spinner, a sfx, a verboten style ride, or a heavily themed rmc raptor with a regular dark ride separate.

Reactions: MattA and bandit14
A recent thought that I have had recently; is of the possibility that they may try to incorporate actors like Gary Oldman and David Thewlis for the potential Forbidden Forest attraction?

A thought that I have, is on if Potter; Ron and Hermonie don't appear; I could actually see them use Oldman and Thewis for a story with the Forest, and that it could allow them to easily bring returning actors like Ralph Finnes back with maybe even bringing in new actors previously seen in the film to place.

I don't know, but I am actually really starting to wonder if we may see more of adult actors for the attraction; but perhaps that may be just me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.