Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Jurassic World: The Ride

I agree. Would it kill them to maybe at least have a falling gyrosphere in place of where the Jeep moment used to be? What was once the most exciting moment is now easily the most boring of the entire ride. Even when the Jeep spot wasn't working, at least there was SOMETHING there to look at.
Was always jealous of hollywood's version because of the Jeep even though I also like the rumbling crate.

That was in its latter years. That thing worked solid for the first decade just fine.

Correct, and Universal doesn't want something like that again after people complain how terrible the Jeep drop was over the years. Obviously, they decided to cut corners, and that's why we end up on a screen-based Monosaur encounter on the ride's opening, and I think there's no chance of a Gyroshpere dropping and lifting up every time the boat passes through for years to come.

They probably don't want to do that, considering the amount of maintenance in doing so. The Jeep didn't work properly every time a boat passed through, and I would imagine it's too much of a hassle to bring something like that back with the Gyrosphere.
The design and mechanics of the OG may have been a pain in the neck to deal with, but something tells me that if they redid the concept with modern technology they’d be fine. These are the people who put a real dinosaur in the finale for god sakes... lol

this could be a dumb question but I have never been to HW. Is the drop for Hollywoods JP ride shorter than the one in orlando? I just watched the POV for JW and it seems like a short drop to me. Maybe I am just seeing things or I have not been in a theme park in a year so my brain is squishy.

this could be a dumb question but I have never been to HW. Is the drop for Hollywoods JP ride shorter than the one in orlando? I just watched the POV for JW and it seems like a short drop to me. Maybe I am just seeing things or I have not been in a theme park in a year so my brain is squishy.
I vaguely remember hearing that it’s shorter only by one foot, but I’d say that the brakes make it feel shorter, as you glide out into the splashdown and smoothly slow down, while in Orlando, with no brakes, you feel every bit of the speed from that drop when you crash into the water. There’s an easy to find vid of Hollywood’s JP on YouTube from 1997 before the brakes were added, and if you watch that, you’ll see that the drop seems bigger when you keep all that speed after flattening out into the splashdown

I vaguely remember hearing that it’s shorter only by one foot, but I’d say that the brakes make it feel shorter, as you glide out into the splashdown and smoothly slow down, while in Orlando, with no brakes, you feel every bit of the speed from that drop when you crash into the water. There’s an easy to find vid of Hollywood’s JP on YouTube from 1997 before the brakes were added, and if you watch that, you’ll see that the drop seems bigger when you keep all that speed after flattening out into the splashdown
Thats crazy. Thanks for the breakdown!

Speaking of which, does anybody have a breakdown of drop length of every JP vs. every Splash Mountain?

Off the top of my head I think every JP is longer than Splash Mountain but just want to check.

Finally got to go on this after days that seemed like forever. I stayed off the forums until now since I saw a bit of an untagged image at first, so I really assumed it wasn't safe. Glad to see it still was followed for the most part.
I thought the predator cove changes were still nice, and I think it’s a good amount better than when the ride first opened. I’m surprised there’s a lot of people saying they wanna see this in Orlando now. XD

Needless to say, I was just as wowed and intimidated as everyone else by the finished Indominus. I wasn’t expecting it to get so close to the boat, let alone tower over you.

I actually got stuck on my first time and didn’t see the normal thing until my second time around. The lights did come on though, so I’ll post pics of that when I get home.

Last edited:
Well as promised, here are my photos (and a video) from when the ride broke down.

FvSlYnW.jpg

This probably goes without saying given what was talked about earlier, but the Indominus was doing that sniffing animation as we closed in on it and in the dark no less. It was actually a rather creepy but awesome way to sorta see it for the first time.

Also, it reset as we were sent down.

aRqeTuh.jpg

XBNWQ7I.jpg

I just wanted to get some more of what I spotted with the lights on.

Anyway, I really freaking love this update. Can't wait to re-ride it often on future visits.

Last edited:
Here’s the Indominus sniffing the air for 10 mins when the ride stops. It’s scary that she has a looping waiting animation instead of just being frozen. Makes her feel alive for real.

It’s even way more terrifying and realistic when it’s sniffing around in the dark. Almost like you can barley see a monster trying to hunt you down. Props to Universal for a backup plan like this.

Well as promised, here are my photos (and a video) from when the ride broke down.

FvSlYnW.jpg

This probably goes without saying given what was talked about earlier, but the Indominus was doing that sniffing animation as we closed in on it and in the dark no less. It was actually a rather creepy but awesome way to sorta see it for the first time.

Also, it reset as we were sent down.

aRqeTuh.jpg

XBNWQ7I.jpg

I just wanted to get some more of what I spotted with the lights on.

Anyway, I really freaking love this update. Can't wait to re-ride it often on future visits.

Thanks for sharing! So cool! I was wondering how the reset looked.

Usually, I thought the T-Rex would confront the I. Rex in the opposite direction instead of facing him in the same position as before, but nevertheless, the ride update is incredibly impressive!
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that, but they probably didn't wanna risk a collision between the two with how huge they are. The Indo animatronic is still very impressive and I love that.
I'm getting reactions of people saying this isn't a kids ride anymore due to finale :lol: . That indo is EXTREEEEMLY CLOSE!!! OMG I No Lie was moving my phone away from my face lol
Same here. That was something I didn't expect.
It's interesting that the T-Rex didn't activate. I guess it requires a full uninterrupted sequence to work properly.
As shown in one of the videos that got embedded alongside the reset one, similar thing happened to me earlier and the T-Rex did appear. Dunno what happened in that POV.

I know its technically early in this getting up and running. But it still just blows me away how this ride gets out of sync timing wise so easily...

I know its technically early in this getting up and running. But it still just blows me away how this ride gets out of sync timing wise so easily...
Frozen Ever After had similar issues for like a year. That's why most dark boat rides had looping sequences prior, like it's a small world and Pirates. Scenes that utilize triggers and have a defined start/finish are easier for tracked rides because timing can be precise. But when dealing with free flowing boat rides, water can have a mind of its own.

They'll get it tweaked and working better I'm sure. Poor thing hasn't had daily riders in over a year.

Well, Todays the day of the "official" opening, I noticed that the stegs weren't moving as fluid as they were prior to closing, I'm hoping the ride videos posted today show those guys operating well.