General Movies & TV Thread | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Can someone tell me why the “Donner Cut” of Superman II is the “better” version? Yeah granted I didn’t see Lester’s version and I know it cuts out most of the slapstick… but having an ending which makes the entire movie entirely pointless (not to mention reusing the much maligned superpower from the first film) really sours the whole movie to me.

Last edited:
Hope its ok, I posted this in the horror thread too but I just wanted to share my new horror short film - The Drawing. Its only 3 min but packs a punch!

I'm actually shooting the Feature film version of this short in June, which will be my 2nd feature film.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it, look forward to hearing your thoughts!

After waking from a nightmare, artist Scarlet is pursued by a malevolent figure eerily reminiscent of her latest drawing.

Drawing Still 1.jpg

Drawing Still 2.jpg

Hope its ok, I posted this in the horror thread too but I just wanted to share my new horror short film - The Drawing. Its only 3 min but packs a punch!

I'm actually shooting the Feature film version of this short in June, which will be my 2nd feature film.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it, look forward to hearing your thoughts!

After waking from a nightmare, artist Scarlet is pursued by a malevolent figure eerily reminiscent of her latest drawing.

Great work, while I've never "made" a film. I've helped friends out with projects and know all the hardwork that goes into it especially after the filming has been done

Reactions: JaySalahi
Great work, while I've never "made" a film. I've helped friends out with projects and know all the hardwork that goes into it especially after the filming has been done

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to watch it. I deeply appreciate the kind words, it was definitetly A LOT of work more than people would assume for 3 minutes. If you ever make a film please send it my way. Thanks again, Cheers!

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Saw GODZILLA MINUS ONE in IMAX last night.

Outside of two bafflingly huge missteps in the last 10 seconds, it’s a movie that puts Hollywood’s recent blockbuster output to absolute shame. Legitimately exciting and full of raw emotion. Even with a final two shots that do a bit to undercut what came before, easily a top 5 Godzilla movie, and probably my favorite film of the year

Saw GODZILLA MINUS ONE in IMAX last night.

Outside of two bafflingly huge missteps in the last 10 seconds, it’s a movie that puts Hollywood’s recent blockbuster output to absolute shame. Legitimately exciting and full of raw emotion. Even with a final two shots that do a bit to undercut what came before, easily a top 5 Godzilla movie, and probably my favorite film of the year
Really want to see this. Went out of town this weekend though so hopefully hit it next weekend.

Can someone tell me why the “Donner Cut” of Superman II is the “better” version? Yeah granted I didn’t see Lester’s version and I know it cuts out most of the slapstick… but having an ending which makes the entire movie entirely pointless (not to mention reusing the much maligned superpower from the first film) really sours the whole movie to me.
I don't think the consensus is that the Donner Cut is the "better" version.

I'm not sure how much of the history of the production you might be aware of, but the shortest possible version of the story is this -- SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE and SUPERMAN II both began filming simultaneously, with Donner shooting the entirety of THE MOVIE and about 60% of II before the producers asked him to focus on getting THE MOVIE's post-production finished... then they inexplicably fired him after THE MOVIE opened and brought in Lester to finish filming II.

One of the things that happened within all that was a reconception of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE's ending. Originally, Superman didn't turn back time in that movie, and that was always intended to be the ending of II. But Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (the writer he worked most directly with) decided that the turning back the world concept was so good that they should use it at the end of the first movie, and then once they came back to finish filming II, they'd figure out some other ending for II.

But Donner was fired, so he never got the chance to work with Mankiewicz to figure out a new ending for "his" version of II. When he was approached about putting the Donner Cut together, his options were to either use the ending of the Lester theatrical cut (which Donner didn't like and had no hand in) or go back to the very first idea for II's ending (turning back time), even though they'd already done that at the end of THE MOVIE.

To me, the Donner Cut is a curiosity, but not really a "real" movie. There are too many compromises and rough edges. But there are things I like in it more than the Lester cut (using all the Marlon Brando footage, using more scenes that Donner shot but Lester removed/reshot).