Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction? | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have no idea if there were any actual plans to build the real city of EPCOT back in 1982 behind doors, but it sure as hell went out the window the second 1984 happened. EPCOT Center was merely a stall effort to appease the city of Orlando who Walt promised that revolutionary city was going to be built, and that was one of the mandates set by Florida and Orlando.
When they started work on EPCOT Center, they still planned a version of the city of EPCOT as well. The plans were printed in the annual report for one year, showing the theme park fitting into the city.

Reactions: IzzyB and Mike S
When they started work on EPCOT Center, they still planned a version of the city of EPCOT as well. The plans were printed in the annual report for one year, showing the theme park fitting into the city.

It would have been a disaster unless they built it like the utopian Celebration. This wouldn't have happened in the futuristic 1980's. They would have gone all star wars and the place would be a drug hole today or, it would go unsold.

Tire's an interesting story about that "city". Walt asked on of the imagineers (I think it was Wathel) to provide some props for a film he was doing for the Florida State Legislature to convince them about the need for RCID. This was Wednesday. The painting and model was due by Friday. So what Walt is pointing out was basically a quick idea of what EPCOT might look like, but in reality nothing had been discussed, planned or even though about. This was the last film Walt ever made, as he was hospitalized a week later, and died shortly thereafter. Someone (NOT Imagineering) thought that film would make a fitting tribute and aired it at the end of the Disney TV show. The Imagineers were horrified, as now this painting would become the "definitive" idea of what Walt wanted, even though not a single bit of planning really went into it. As the years went by they realized the concept of EPCOT was impossible (How do you put someone into a living prototype of something that may or may not work? You just couldn't. As one of the Imagineers said, the minute someone moves in the E, P and T disappear). So the idea became a Future World Theme Center (of which no admission would be charged) providing an overview, and a World Showcase. The two eventually combined as one. But, as I heard often back in the day, the designers would complain they are still haunted by " that f***** painting"). LOL

Tire's an interesting story about that "city". Walt asked on of the imagineers (I think it was Wathel) to provide some props for a film he was doing for the Florida State Legislature to convince them about the need for RCID. This was Wednesday. The painting and model was due by Friday. So what Walt is pointing out was basically a quick idea of what EPCOT might look like, but in reality nothing had been discussed, planned or even though about. This was the last film Walt ever made, as he was hospitalized a week later, and died shortly thereafter. Someone (NOT Imagineering) thought that film would make a fitting tribute and aired it at the end of the Disney TV show. The Imagineers were horrified, as now this painting would become the "definitive" idea of what Walt wanted, even though not a single bit of planning really went into it. As the years went by they realized the concept of EPCOT was impossible (How do you put someone into a living prototype of something that may or may not work? You just couldn't. As one of the Imagineers said, the minute someone moves in the E, P and T disappear). So the idea became a Future World Theme Center (of which no admission would be charged) providing an overview, and a World Showcase. The two eventually combined as one. But, as I heard often back in the day, the designers would complain they are still haunted by " that f***** painting"). LOL
Nice interesting story. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mike S
I don't think so either, let me say I think he is getting bad info from an overly confident source.

What if I told you UC did a treatment for Avatar replacing T2 using motion simulators replicating flying on the banshees? And once Cameron told them he wanted more, a land, they told him to take a hike? Also fold this into that BS line about how UC "copied" Disney's treatment for Potter with Hogsmead (five words: "animal kingdom, desks, fantastic beasts").
I'd say that it was a rumor before it was announced for DAK. We could probably pull up a thread.

"The 21st Century is here"? In the early 1980's? Doesn't look like anything I've been seeing since 2000. All they really built was a kind of World's Fair and that's about it. Sadly, much of it has become a museum of the 1980's and not much more.
I love ya Teebs, but through many posts i've read of yours, you just don't really seem to "get" EPCOT Center and what it was.

That reminds me of when Walt got one of his artists, Herb Ryman I believe to draw Disneyland over the weekend before Roy showed it to investors in New York.

Having said that, I've read a lot of things about the EPCOT City project, but never that part of it. There were a few iterations of the actual city plan, if you look at the drawings from the "Florida Film", the one where it explains everything is extremely symmetrical, but the large one that Walt stands under shows a very diffferent looking shape...possibly around the topography of the area?

The final model that was shown above the Carousel of Progress and now what we see at WDW on the Peoplemover to me is a LOT different than Walt's plan and was built way after. There's a lot more cars and traffic from what I can tell than Walt's vision.

.....but we're a bit off topic now :)

That's part of the Progress City model built in 1964 for the New York World's Fair, not after. Walt had been planning EPCOT since then, but didn't know exactly what it was or how it would work, but was determined to figure that out.

When Walt died, so did the city.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Mary Poppins in the UK seems like a no-brainer if the floodgates are just open with IPs for Epcot. It's something that actually has roots in the country and would be a unique ride.
And Ratatouille in France. I'm actually surprised they didn't chip in for two when it was built, but again, it's EPCOT... The red headed step child of TWDC.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Disney is going in order of priority. Restore capacity to MK with NFL since it is by far the busiest park. Then keep AK open into the night with more attractions and evening entertainment. Then the massive fix to change DHS from a movie studio theme to a movies theme and get Star Wars more into WDW.

This leaves EPCOT for last. It has more capacity and attendance than AK and DHS so it was not on the same priority level. EPCOT is suffering from age and neglect. This can be much more expensive to fix. I would rather Disney waited til last on this park and do it right rather than see a couple of band aids put on it and move on.

That's part of the Progress City model built in 1964 for the New York World's Fair, not after. Walt had been planning EPCOT since then, but didn't know exactly what it was or how it would work, but was determined to figure that out.

When Walt died, so did the city.
That model was built way after the World's Fair. It was added to the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland in 1967. The original Carousel (Progressland at the fair) you exited onto the stage area up to the roof for a show, and descended down to an atom smasher. I know because I saw it :)

That model was built way after the World's Fair. It was added to the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland in 1967. The original Carousel (Progressland at the fair) you exited onto the stage area up to the roof for a show, and descended down to an atom smasher. I know because I saw it :)

Correct, the Progress City model was not added until it went to Carousel of Progress at Disneyland. No one really knew of the EPCOT City project until the news broke of the land deal in Florida.

So, new rumor just came to me this afternoon.

UoE and WoL pavilions coming down to be replaced by clone of Tron.

Just a rumor and I take it with a grain of salt, but stranger things have happened.

Tron in SDL is about 4.8 acres, give or take..WoL and UoE is about six acres.

I don't see it impossible, but I think it all depends on if Tron has exclusivitiy for Shanghai.