Halloween at Universal Orlando 2020 | Page 74 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween at Universal Orlando 2020

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I can understand both Legacy's argument and the counterargument here. I will say that it would be unwise for Universal to gauge any kind of long-term regular practices by this year vs. next year alone. For all purposes, "30th anniversary" looks to be the next (COVID-hindrances-free) year down the line; and just because fans might enjoy seeing Brides & Toothy Girl in their intended lineup doesn't mean that it would go over well for Universal to follow the Knotts & Howl-O-Scream formulas over the course of several years.

It's an outlier of a year/two, who knows? It would personally turn me off if those 2 houses don't return (though maybe not enough to get me to stop giving them my money lol, we'll see).

I can understand both Legacy's argument and the counterargument here. I will say that it would be unwise for Universal to gauge any kind of long-term regular practices by this year vs. next year alone. For all purposes, "30th anniversary" looks to be the next (COVID-hindrances-free) year down the line; and just because fans might enjoy seeing Brides & Toothy Girl in their intended lineup doesn't mean that it would go over well for Universal to follow the Knotts & Howl-O-Scream formulas over the course of several years.

It's an outlier of a year/two, who knows? It would personally turn me off if those 2 houses don't return (though maybe not enough to get me to stop giving them my money lol, we'll see).
HOS works for repeating houses because on four fronts:
#1 - The front of the line access passes available can make it so you go through a house practically alone
#2 - Less high capacity event meaning pulsing is likely
#3 - scare actors aren't as glued down to a particular place and allowed to wonder a bit more (not everyone)
#4 - It's built into their culture so they've gotten very good at freshening it up/surprising you

I would also say that HHN is very 'programmed' ensuring the same scares occur at the same place everytime...therefore it needs more to keep it fresh

They’ve been reusing room designs, props, and scares for years now. I know it’s not the same as a complete cut and paste, but it’s already a technique used to cut costs. I actually would love to see classic HHN houses rebuilt with updated technology.
The difference is that determining what props and layouts to reuse requires a design team. Reviving the old houses creates less of an incentive to staff a larger team.

The difference is that determining what props and layouts to reuse requires a design team. Reviving the old houses creates less of an incentive to staff a larger team.

2021 is setting the precedent for a smaller design staff. Reusing houses will reduce costs and once the Comcast execs catch wind that they don’t need to employ nearly as many designers, those jobs aren’t coming back. Sorry to be a bummer, but get ready for yet another pivot in the way HHN designs its event in the next couple years.

Ok, decided my overall opinion for Tooth and Bride.
As much as I like the Tooth with it's unique design and facade, and Bride is just fantastic (3rd fav house of all time btw.) Sadly they need to go.
As some have already stated, to preserve the quality of HHN for years to come, we need to keep all our designers we possibly can, because then some get layed off and then all of a sudden they may see that they don't even NEED them anymore, and that there is another way to do things, and pulling up past houses could be an option. They have reworked and have had full houses return before, and now that they have much better reasons to do it with Covid-19 and budget cuts, it's so possible it's frightening.

Ok, decided my overall opinion for Tooth and Bride.
As much as I like the Tooth with it's unique design and facade, and Bride is just fantastic (3rd fav house of all time btw.) Sadly they need to go.
As some have already stated, to preserve the quality of HHN for years to come, we need to keep all our designers we possibly can, because then some get layed off and then all of a sudden they may see that they don't even NEED them anymore, and that there is another way to do things, and pulling up past houses could be an option. They have reworked and have had full houses return before, and now that they have much better reasons to do it with Covid-19 and budget cuts, it's so possible it's frightening.

I really don't think bringing them back next year would change how the event is designed moving forward, though. When they repeated American Werewolf for 25, I recall it not being as well received and personally, it was a lesser experience. I think it's a good sign that it hasn't happened since.

In the case of Bride and Tooth Fairy, they technically weren't open for HHN. This Halloween event filled a void that I think some people needed this year, but the houses were altered due to Covid-19 restrictions. I think the big difference between bringing back AWiL and bringing back Brides/TF is the fact that we haven't seen the latter two houses (and even Beetlejuice) at their full potential. We had scareactors behind plexiglass, so while some scares were effective, you could see them coming from a mile away. All SiF being removed and the lack of division between scenes really does hurt the overall experience too, because it all helps you feel immersed in the environment that A&D has created. If they brought these houses back next year as they were originally planned and created, I think they would be ramped up to the point where it justifies their return. I think there would be an understanding as to why they are coming back, and I'm sure plenty of people who were unable to travel this year would be ecstatic at the fact that they'd finally be able to go through them.

Reactions: dxwwf3
One of the major things that I think hampered scares this year was proximity, as it felt like half of the spots were empty. Especially noticeable were the scenes with two people (tooth fairy victims, bride battles) that really needed a duo in the spot. Can you imagine Carnival Graveyard trying to do the Love Shack scare with one person? So many of the scenes this year felt like that, especially because of the “battle” nature of many of the scenes.

2021 is setting the precedent for a smaller design staff. Reusing houses will reduce costs and once the Comcast execs catch wind that they don’t need to employ nearly as many designers, those jobs aren’t coming back. Sorry to be a bummer, but get ready for yet another pivot in the way HHN designs its event in the next couple years.
Repeating houses would be detrimental to the event...and eventually its attendance

Repeating houses would be detrimental to the event...and eventually its attendance

Sometimes I like to think about if they were to select 8-10 houses from the event’s past to make into permanent attractions—what would they be, I wonder?

A part of me wishes they could just remake 18 and leave it up forever lol. But I know that’s a selfish (and deeply impractical) impulse on my part. :(

I think the idea of repeating houses, that maybe 10% of the audience saw in a year that is extraordinarily different than past or future, is detrimental to the event is maybe not rooted in reality.

I agree. Especially since these houses were very heavily modified. It made a bigger difference than I was expecting.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Not really. Attendance of the event is rotational. New fans come in as old fans fade out. We’re talking about 30 years of designs for an event that typically has 8-12 year “fan time” (the time frame from start of attendance to stopping regular attendance). That means any design 10 years or older is going to be a brand new house for the vast majority of attendees.

I get the AWiL comparison, but they waited one year for that house. The successful version was still fresh in everyone’s mind. The Hallow isn’t. Screamhouse isn’t. Castle Vampyr isn’t. Hotel Hell isn’t. Those will be viewed as new experiences even though they aren’t. Most attendees are unlikely to even recognize them as returning houses.

Not really. Attendance of the event is rotational. New fans come in as old fans fade out. We’re talking about 30 years of designs for an event that typically has 8-12 year “fan time” (the time frame from start of attendance to stopping regular attendance). That means any design 10 years or older is going to be a brand new house for the vast majority of attendees.

I get the AWiL comparison, but they waited one year for that house. The successful version was still fresh in everyone’s mind. The Hallow isn’t. Screamhouse isn’t. Castle Vampyr isn’t. Hotel Hell isn’t. Those will be viewed as new experiences even though they aren’t. Most attendees are unlikely to even recognize them as returning houses.
Well, the Hallow and Screamhouse certainly...I thought we were talking about a formula similar to HOS? Where year over year the vast majority of the event is repeated.

Obviously next year is a pass, but I feel repeating houses and only adding one or two would eventually harm the event.

Reactions: Rikku
Well, the Hallow and Screamhouse certainly...I thought we were talking about a formula similar to HOS? Where year over year the vast majority of the event is repeated.

Obviously next year is a pass, but I feel repeating houses and only adding one or two would eventually harm the event.
I’m saying they could repeat 7 houses, but all from over 10 years ago, and the audience is unlikely to care. We don’t want Universal comfortable with that idea.

I’m saying they could repeat 7 houses, but all from over 10 years ago, and the audience is unlikely to care. We don’t want Universal comfortable with that idea.

But is coming up with new houses each year really sustainable? I don’t think it is.

I agree with that statement

Back to back year repeats with one or two new houses would be awful

I would cry of joy if they brought Hallow back (I know this is entirely hypothetical). Ridiculously underrated.
Anything from that year would be fantastic