Halloween at Universal Orlando 2020 | Page 73 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween at Universal Orlando 2020

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The fact that the canceled the event but then turned around and did, what I think, something that will change the course of the event from time to come (allowed costumes, trick or treating for the kids, the pumpkin hunt, cafe la bamba) is more than enough I feel. In fact they did throw a surprise. . . beetlejuice! I feel next year they will have more daytime centric things to do for families to enjoy with their kids but year, i'll take beetlejuice over what they did in sting alley any day.
Definitely. Most especially for IOA, daytime until closing. Kids/Family alternative.

I wouldn't be shocked if have a day time family friendly walk through and/or a costumed character trick or treat trail to meet halloween inspired characters.

I wouldn't be shocked if have a day time family friendly walk through and/or a costumed character trick or treat trail to meet halloween inspired characters.

They kinda had that back in the 90's.

Honestly, it's always bummed me out that we never did get more Casper in the parks. Not only is it my favorite Universal movie (just saw it in theaters for the 25th anniversary last week), but it's an IP that's just ripe for a dark ride, which we almost got in the Europe project.

Question for the admins, I know it was stated that there would be a Spec thread for next years event and it would be coming out around December, are you still sticking to the plan? Or has things changed? I feel that with the potential Covid procedures that could effect the event and the debate whether or not Bride and Tooth should be on the chopping block or not is enough to hang us over at least until January when we get our dates and we start to hear our first rumblings about deals being made with IP holders.

Again, there is not nearly enough to talk about as there usually is, and I know for a fact that you should be enforcing better organization of the Spec thread from now on with how chaotic things get.
These are just my thoughts and I'm cool with however you decide to pull things off :)

Question for the admins, I know it was stated that there would be a Spec thread for next years event and it would be coming out around December, are you still sticking to the plan? Or has things changed? I feel that with the potential Covid procedures that could effect the event and the debate whether or not Bride and Tooth should be on the chopping block or not is enough to hang us over at least until January when we get our dates and we start to hear our first rumblings about deals being made with IP holders.

Again, there is not nearly enough to talk about as there usually is, and I know for a fact that you should be enforcing better organization of the Spec thread from now on with how chaotic things get.
These are just my thoughts and I'm cool with however you decide to pull things off :)

As of now - the only thing that's certain** is Puppet Theater, and there's already a thread for it. If you'd like to talk about whether or not Brides, Tooth Fairy, or BJ is coming back next year, you can continue the discussion here.

As far as the plan for Spec - it's still the same; there will be no new Spec thread until January-ish. Now there is a chance there is no Spec Thread, or delayed further, since the likelihood of these houses returning is high - therefore making Spec kinda pointless.

We expect there to be some news eventually, with event dates being the likely first bit of info released and that will be posted in the News thread - which will only be regulated to news & info, no spec.

(** as we learned this year, nothing is certain. This is all hinges on how the pandemic goes into 2021.)

As of now - the only thing that's certain** is Puppet Theater, and there's already a thread for it. If you'd like to talk about whether or not Brides, Tooth Fairy, or BJ is coming back next year, you can continue the discussion here.

As far as the plan for Spec - it's still the same; there will be no new Spec thread until January-ish. Now there is a chance there is no Spec Thread, or delayed further, since the likelihood of these houses returning is high - therefore making Spec kinda pointless.

We expect there to be some news eventually, with event dates being the likely first bit of info released and that will be posted in the News thread - which will only be regulated to news & info, no spec.

(** as we learned this year, nothing is certain. This is all hinges on how the pandemic goes into 2021.)
Sounds good to me, thanks man.

For next year I don't see Universal really doing much more than has already been done. Houses will remain HHN, no walkthroughs, maybe the Scarecrow Stalk will return, but all the main stuff will be in IOA with Potter and the trick 'r' treating.

So we are back to thinking Tooth Fairy and Brides will return? I thought we were thinking they were out?

After experiencing them for the first time on Thursday and Friday, I really hope they return next year and can be seen without modifications. Both houses were great, but I think Tooth Fairy would benefit even more without distancing and plexiglass.

Is there a chance that they could tear them down and rebuild the same thing again to save on design costs if they feel like the sets couldn't make it through next year?
Doubtful. The build is the bulk of the costs, so rebuilding on the same design isn’t actually much of a cost savings. If they choose to get rid of the houses, A&D would likely push for new designs because it justifies jobs.

We don’t want a precedent of rebuilding old designs. Universal has a couple hundred designs archived. Complete houses. If Universal figures they can cut the HHN design team in half by just redoing or reworking old designs and the fans won’t mind... then well, they won’t mind either.

The big difference between next year and subsequent years being, the houses would still be "new" to a good 70% of the fan base next year.
But you’re setting a precedent. That’s what we don’t want.

If they pulled out, let’s say, the original Scary Tales from 2001. Same layout. Same treatment. Same design. That’s a completely new house to 99% of guests. Let’s say they redo The Hallow from 2008. That’s a brand new house for probably 95-97% of guests.

And, like I said, these houses are *done.* They could pull them out, and the contractor could build it. Costumes and decor could be reused or remade. One or two designers to rework a scene or two (if needed), and done.

If a rebuild is proven effective and acceptable by the fans, then there’s justification to only design 3-4 new houses a year (to continue building for future returns) and then just reuse old designs.

But you’re setting a precedent. That’s what we don’t want.

If they pulled out, let’s say, the original Scary Tales from 2001. Same layout. Same treatment. Same design. That’s a completely new house to 99% of guests. Let’s say they redo The Hallow from 2008. That’s a brand new house for probably 95-97% of guests.

And, like I said, these houses are *done.* They could pull them out, and the contractor could build it. Costumes and decor could be reused or remade. One or two designers to rework a scene or two (if needed), and done.

If a rebuild is proven effective and acceptable by the fans, then there’s justification to only design 3-4 new houses a year (to continue building for future returns) and then just reuse old designs.

They’ve been reusing room designs, props, and scares for years now. I know it’s not the same as a complete cut and paste, but it’s already a technique used to cut costs. I actually would love to see classic HHN houses rebuilt with updated technology.

That is probably for the best. With Puppet Theater officially confirmed, that lends heavy credence that the already built houses are being mothballed for next year. Since we know what those are, no point in spec for those. As for BJ, that's most likely returning since they probably wouldn't have opened that house at all this year if it wasn't for their hand being forced in order to retain it for next year. As for Brides and Tooth Fairy, it's honestly a toss-up if they return or not. I'd love for them to stay so we can see them in full HHN mode, but I can understand if they need to be replaced due to extensive wear and tear.

But until we get an update on those two, all that's left is whatever's replacing Billie Eilish. Since houses really take up the bulk of spec, one house won't sustain it. (Three would be better, but even then that's probably not enough to start a spec thread in it's usual time.)

Scare zones were listed as well, so unless there's a significant change there's not much to discuss.

The only spec I can really think of is shows, but even then that's limited to speculating what'll be in the fountain show, and is it going to be a Yes or No on Bill & Ted?