Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 187 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I decided to do a Tally of the Most Requested Properties by people for tweets/posts about HHN2018. I decided I would tally because it would be interesting to see what People really want. Maybe this numbers aren't 100% accurate due to people still request new propertes but here it is. Only gonna do the top ten most requested properties.

1. IT (25)
2. The Conjuring (18)
3. Scream (11)
4. TRT (8)
5. Hellraiser (8)
6. Annabelle (7)
7. Poltergeist (6)
8. Jeepers Creepers (5)
9. Universal Monsters (4)
10. Stranger Things (4)

1. IT (217)
2. Halloween (86)
3. The Conjuring (76)
4. Stranger Things (66)
5. The Exorcist (39)
6. Scream (35)
7. Hellraiser (35)
8. Jeepers Creepers (34)
9. La llorona (31)
10. TRT (31)

@HHNManics did this tally a while back when John tweeted that he was looking for properties; these were the most requested. The Purge might have been high rated, but it certainly wasn’t requested by the majority

Reactions: HereWeGo
....or maybe Murdy planned this maze from the very beginning (Or at least early on in the design process), and is totally out-of-touch with what the fans want?
^this... but hasn't that always been the case? I mean, fans have been begging for Trick R Treat since the movie came out back in 2008 & the only reason we have it this year is due to Orlando bringing it back for round 2.

Or the people on this board are out of touch with what the fans really want?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no... But Murdy's endgame is almost always how to benefit Murdy, not necessarily the fans.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no... But Murdy's endgame is almost always how to benefit Murdy, not necessarily the fans.

I am a DJ and like Murdy I have to put together a program to keep people happy, I am stringing songs together and he is doing mazes. Sometimes I get a request for a song that will work, jut not right now. What do I do? I wait til it will work and I play it then, not before. Sometimes I also play a song that I like but I know the dancers will like as well. You know what else I do, I think three or four songs down the road.

This is how I think Murdy works. Saying Murdy does things to benefit Murdy is really saying "Me and the people I know and listen to don't want this. Why won't he listen to us." There is a silent majority that isn't on this board, or twitter who just might love the Purge and really want it to come to the event as a maze.

@HHNManics did this tally a while back when John tweeted that he was looking for properties; these were the most requested. The Purge might have been high rated, but it certainly wasn’t requested by the majority

1. IT - ain't happening due to WB
2. Halloween - coming and some here are still complaining
3. The Conjuring - see comment on #1 (let's put Annabelle here as well)
4. Stranger Things - confirmed
5. The Exorcist - done
6. Scream - a rights nightmare
7. Hellraiser - another nightmare but might be clearing up
8. Jeepers Creepers - Doesn't want to work with the director
9. La Llorona - done but a while ago so here is a viable option not being explored
10. TrT - confirmed

I'll add AHS Asylum - maybe the deal with Fox allowed the IPs to be used 3 times in a 4 or 5 year period.

My point is that list may not include the purge but it doesn't show that he isn't listening to the fans. Maybe he plans on playing that request but a a few songs down the road.

Now the maze could suck, but I am not going to pass judgement on it until I go through it.

"As far as surveys go" is code for "not necessarily the 50-60 fans on a message board"

Hey could you do me a favor? Go to the announcement video on Twitter and look at the replies real quick. Thanks.

Also the “50-60 fans on a message board” (of which you are one) that you refer to are the ones that buy Front-of-the-Line passes, boatloads of merchandise, and usually attend the event multiple times. Plus, most people on this forum bring groups of people with them when they are excited to see or re-experience the mazes. Groups of people which become regular visitors. I wouldn’t dare say that the event depends on the die hard fans, but I think pre-excitement and positive word of mouth contributes towards the success and profits of the event for sure.

Hey could you do me a favor? Go to the announcement video on Twitter and look at the replies real quick. Thanks.

Also the “50-60 fans on a message board” (of which you are one) that you refer to are the ones that buy Front-of-the-Line passes, boatloads of merchandise, and usually attend the event multiple times. Plus, most people on this forum bring groups of people with them when they are excited to see or re-experience the mazes. Groups of people which become regular visitors. I wouldn’t dare say that the event depends on the die hard fans, but I think pre-excitement and positive word of mouth contributes towards the success and profits of the event for sure.
OK so you're talking 400 - 500 people?

People equals money and we can complain all we want but the people on this forum (nor the people on Twitter) are not the bread and butter for HHN. I know marketing (I minored in it in college) and Universal knows where it's money comes from backwards and forwards. That is what "As far as surveys go" means. It was John saying (some may argue he is saying it arrogantly) "The people I am counting on to make this a success have told me they like the purge".

Now over saturation can be an unintended consequence of listening to surveys, we here are feeling it first. I am not 100% thrilled with the Purge again, but I know I am going to go and if the maze is good cool, if not oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideguy70
Oof... imagine the reaction when they find out Blumhouse is replacing AHS. Better hope Get Out or Split is in there since those are probably the biggest gets. Hopefully the next announcement is either UCM or Poltergeist since those facades are giving them away
Oof i dont know how scary a rubber james mcavoy mask would be

People equals money and we can complain all we want but the people on this forum (nor the people on Twitter) are the bread and butter for HHN. I know marketing (I minored in it in college) and Universal knows where it's money comes from backwards and forwards. That is what "As far as surveys go" means. It was John saying (some may argue he is saying it arrogantly) "The people I am counting on to make this a success have told me they like the purge".

Now over saturation can be an unintended consequence of listening to surveys, we here are feeling it first. I am not 100% thrilled with the Purge again, but I know I am going to go and if the maze is good cool, if not oh well.

zdWIzyR.gif

Maybe announcing HoB v.2 and/or Halloween at Midsummer scream may soften the blow a tiny bit, what with everyone excited with Aiello being there, and also to announce how Orlando is also sharing them. Cause I know the reaction for those on Twitter, not watching the livestream, aren't gonna be too thrilled.

People equals money and we can complain all we want but the people on this forum (nor the people on Twitter) are the bread and butter for HHN.
Actually.... aside from the typo in your response. The fan base, especially the hardcore fan base (that'd be us losers on the forums and/or twitter/facebook) are the "bread and butter" for HHN. As it was stated, we spend the money every year for FFP, RIP, Express (whatever), buy A LOT of merch (if it doesn't completely suck), etc

You put out a really really lackluster underwhemingly mediocre-bad event and word of mouth will spread faster than those California brush fires. No amount of poor marketing (or 1 or 2 "popular" IPs) is going to bring in the masses if the mindless general public hear its not worth it. They'll go spend their money at Knotts, Dark Harbor & Fright Fest.

And after last year, Universal can't afford another year of Team Members flat out saying "Knotts is better" or East coast people coming here & saying "I enjoyed Fright Fest a lot more". The Purge 6.0 was a bad move on their part. They better hope the rest of their line-up is on par with Stranger Things/TrT