Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 103 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We're still a week away from the traditional start of spec season, i.e. Dr. Jimmy's April Fools Day video. For over a decade, that was the first hint the community got of what was coming that year.

In other words, nothing's late. Recent years have occasionally been ridiculously early.
Hopefully, we get a Dr. Jimmy April Fools Day video again this year. I miss seeing him do videos.

Unrelated to any specific IP or original spec, and not to open a can of worms in regard to the dreaded yearly ticket debate, but I've been collecting my notes from the Haunted Attractions and Halloween Show, and forgot about the seminar I attended
about upcoming trends that T.J. Mannarino was a part of. I noted down he mentioned explicitly evolving an event over the course of a season to encourage repeat visitors, particularly offering limited discounts, special events on certain nights, basically something to entice a person to come back even if they've "seen it all".

Not sure they have really done this much in the past (beyond closing night special experiences, and the occasional unannounced celeb drop in), so it felt odd he mentioned it out of pocket, particularly in a panel meant to forecast predicted trends and patterns for the upcoming haunt season. Again, not to say this wasn't just something they were batting around at a blue sky level that doesn't amount to much, and it was just in his mind at the time, but still could be interesting to see more limited offerings on the table.

(he was asked point blank about Dark Universe by the owner of Netherworld Haunted House and basically read verbatim the press release, lol, so he knows when he has to be tight lipped, haha)

Unrelated to any specific IP or original spec, and not to open a can of worms in regard to the dreaded yearly ticket debate, but I've been collecting my notes from the Haunted Attractions and Halloween Show, and forgot about the seminar I attended
about upcoming trends that T.J. Mannarino was a part of. I noted down he mentioned explicitly evolving an event over the course of a season to encourage repeat visitors, particularly offering limited discounts, special events on certain nights, basically something to entice a person to come back even if they've "seen it all".

Not sure they have really done this much in the past (beyond closing night special experiences, and the occasional unannounced celeb drop in), so it felt odd he mentioned it out of pocket, particularly in a panel meant to forecast predicted trends and patterns for the upcoming haunt season. Again, not to say this wasn't just something they were batting around at a blue sky level that doesn't amount to much, and it was just in his mind at the time, but still could be interesting to see more limited offerings on the table.

(he was asked point blank about Dark Universe by the owner of Netherworld Haunted House and basically read verbatim the press release, lol, so he knows when he has to be tight lipped, haha)

I don't think it's opening a can of worms - it's offering firsthand insight from someone involved with the event regarding where their head is at on an important subject. Thank you for sharing!

I haven’t seen much talk about the Tribute to Terror comic book that was sold last year, and after going through it in detail with my brother we saw a couple things we thought were interesting that we wanted to share.

We know the black and white skull on the Spec map is hinting towards another Boris house. The black and white split in the skull is another hint towards the house being all black and white similar to the comic and how the tribute store represented that comic. The comic also ended with a typical “to be continued” ending.

At the very end of the comic is a section where fake “fans” wrote into the comic.

One of the fan letters says “When is the next issue coming out!? I am very excited to see what happens next in the False Idols story! You said it was “Part One” so that means you have a “Part Two” right?!”

Another fan letter is referring to the skull logo and it says “I am fan of the comic. Tribby The Skull in the fan club art is my favorite! I really wish there was some fun shirts with him on it! Maybe next issue!”

Another fan letter is referring to the “Curator” who is the host of the comic similar to the Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt. It says “I am writing to tell you the Curator is an Icon and legend and we need more of him in these stories!”

The very last add in the comic is for a “Curator” model kit. It says it is $1.25 + $.35 shipping fee.

This is a huge stab in the dark and grasping for straws is an understatement, just reading this the $.35 shipping probably seems meaningless but the comic is full of HHN puns and a lot of numbers in the adds represent a year or something pertaining to HHN as a nod to the fans. My brother and I discussed if the Curator could be an Icon at HHN 35 and if they are slowly developing his story more and giving people more Boris in the interim. It will be interesting to see if a second comic comes out this year. Yes we are aware its a stab in the dark, but spec was slow and we just wanted to share what the comic had in it pertaining to Boris for those who do not have it.

Does anyone else have the comic?

Back to the zone discussion, I've felt in the past that the NY zone could feel a bit empty - but honestly, Sweet Revenge and Vamp 69 seemed to fill out the area a lot better for me.
Sweet Revenge sure did - the floats and soundscape did a huge amount to fill the space. I think every other NY scarezone I’ve experienced fails in that regard to a greater or lesser extent (including, sadly, Vamp). The zone needs BIG set pieces and should be divided up.

2012:
raw

But... I don't think there's any need for concern for 2024.

It was planned to have one fewer house even before Transformers was green lit, correct?

1995 actually had one fewer house than 1994. But that's so long ago that it's irrelevant.

I only have one major concern about HHN.

I’ve attended 16 events and never thought a single house was irredeemably bad. I didn’t particularly loathe even the houses that got torrents of online hate. Some houses were bland or uninteresting (looking at you, Walking Dead), sure, but those were rare and they weren’t unforgivably TERRIBLE.

Until Chucky in 32.

So I’m a little worried about a year with four tent houses, two in tents that don’t yet exist, and another F&F house. I’m more concerned then I used to be about venues effecting house quality. Losing the Shrek maze spot now looks like an even bigger bungle.

Not that what I think matters much, but I’d say Universal gets a two year semi-pass. Once the new campus reopens, if the resort doesn’t IMMEDIATELY start rearranging infrastructure at the old lot to create more suitable maze venues and otherwise facilitate the festivals the Studio increasingly relies upon I’ll… well, I’ll probably still pay to go and will just post angrily on line. But still…

I only have one major concern about HHN.

I’ve attended 16 events and never thought a single house was irredeemably bad. I didn’t particularly loathe even the houses that got torrents of online hate. Some houses were bland or uninteresting (looking at you, Walking Dead), sure, but those were rare and they weren’t unforgivably TERRIBLE.

Until Chucky in 32.

So I’m a little worried about a year with four tent houses, two in tents that don’t yet exist, and another F&F house. I’m more concerned then I used to be about venues effecting house quality. Losing the Shrek maze spot now looks like an even bigger bungle.

Not that what I think matters much, but I’d say Universal gets a two year semi-pass. Once the new campus reopens, if the resort doesn’t IMMEDIATELY start rearranging infrastructure at the old lot to create more suitable maze venues and otherwise facilitate the festivals the Studio increasingly relies upon I’ll… well, I’ll probably still pay to go and will just post angrily on line. But still…
The Sprungs almost always hold the best houses though, so if anything having two more is very exciting! I wouldn't be too concerned.

The Sprungs almost always hold the best houses though, so if anything having two more is very exciting! I wouldn't be too concerned.
I really disagree there. The Sprungs can hold amazing houses and frequently have, but as to "best," I think their batting average is fairly low. A tent house has only been my favorite once (Slaughter Sinema) and tied for my favorite once (Nevermore). That said, my priorities are sets and costumes and humor, not scares, so your mileage may certainly vary.

That said, my concern springs more from the combination of the timeline, the fact that the venues are new, and the precedent of Chucky as a genuinely awful house rather then from any specific distaste for the tents themselves.

I really disagree there. The Sprungs can hold amazing houses and frequently have, but as to "best," I think their batting average is fairly low. A tent house has only been my favorite once (Slaughter Sinema) and tied for my favorite once (Nevermore). That said, my priorities are sets and costumes and humor, not scares, so your mileage may certainly vary.

That said, my concern springs more from the combination of the timeline, the fact that the venues are new, and the precedent of Chucky as a genuinely awful house rather then from any specific distaste for the tents themselves.

I mean, personal opinion and all - but a majority of the houses have been some of the best-received houses in the history of the event. You may not like 'em, but a majority do.

I mean, personal opinion and all - but a majority of the houses have been some of the best-received houses in the history of the event. You may not like 'em, but a majority do.
I would question the use of majority twice here - that's a quantifiable measurement. I wouldn't argue, however, that there have been many excellent tent houses that have been very popular. In fact, that's pretty much what I said. The tents DO have space limitations that the warehouse and soundstage houses lack.

I would question the use of majority twice here - that's a quantifiable measurement. I wouldn't argue, however, that there have been many excellent tent houses that have been very popular. In fact, that's pretty much what I said. The tents DO have space limitations that the warehouse and soundstage houses lack.

Halloween
The Thing
Scarecrow
Havoc was HOTY in 2010.
Wicked Growth and the Darkest Deal, most recently

But, what's the issue here? Is amazing not acceptable? Furthermore, if space is the concern - why then would the Shrek location (which has had a shaky record) be a loss when it was the most limited in terms of space in comparison to the tents?

Halloween
The Thing
Scarecrow
Havoc was HOTY in 2010.

But, what's the issue here? Is amazing not acceptable? Furthermore, if space is the concern - why then would the Shrek location (which has had a shaky record) be a loss when it was the most limited in terms of space in comparison to the tents?

If I counted correctly, there have been 34 HHN houses within the 2 Sprung tents.

As far as general consensus goes, I think it breaks down to roughly:
  • 50% very well received
  • 30% mixed reviews
  • 20% duds

Without delving too deeply, I think those ratios probably stand up fairly well against the success of the Soundstage locations.

Halloween
The Thing
Scarecrow
Havoc was HOTY in 2010.

2008, 2010, 2011 (tie with parade), 2014 (both), 2017, and 2021 were the years in which HOTY was a sprung. Of course, HOTY/ZOTY doesn't always mean it was considered the best, but there's definitely a ~.75 correlation.

Another fan letter is referring to the “Curator” who is the host of the comic similar to the Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt. It says “I am writing to tell you the Curator is an Icon and legend and we need more of him in these stories!”

The very last add in the comic is for a “Curator” model kit. It says it is $1.25 + $.35 shipping fee.

Wasn't the Curator figure box in the store's window display too ? would be cool if he gets promoted to a house

Reactions: Mashmingingmasher77
Halloween
The Thing
Scarecrow
Havoc was HOTY in 2010.

To quote you... what are we doing here? I took exception to the idea that the tents had the "best" houses. "Best." We broadly agree, but you seem to be trying to delegitimize what I clearly stated was my personal preference.

And I don't think that Shrek had a "shaky record" at all. Case Files was my personal favorite in 30. Krampus, Killer Klowns, and Asylum were all great. Shrek has a higher batting average for me then the tents. Losing it for F&F, the only venue I think CAN'T house a top flight maze, is significant.

Wicked Growth was great. I preferred Case Files (again, "best"). I missed Scarecrow. Halloween and Thing were good.

I feel Havoc is very overrated and emblematic of my personal issues with the tents. They tend to focus on jump scares over sets and atmosphere - I believe Legacy has explained why this is the case. I understand that "scariness" is what many HHN attendees value the most. It isn't for me. I found Havoc, Tomb of the Ancients, Catacombs, Spawning, and many of the other beloved tent houses to be repetitive and of limited interest - not bad, but not great.

PS: edited because I mixed up Saw years - I didn't see the Shrek version.

I think it's tricky any time we use "best" as a stand-in for "favorite" but it seems fair to say that the tents have had many highly reviewed houses over the years. The wisdom of the crowd isn't for everyone, but there's at least some broad consensus.

But if you're more into Dead Man's Pier than Scarecrow, I can understand why you'd prefer the ratio of tent to soundstage to move in the other direction.