Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is so bizarre to me. I'm not aware of any B&M's replacing their entire track for any reason, especially wear. Individual rail sections, sure, but not the whole thing. I don't think a B&M has ever been scrapped. They get sold and used somewhere else. There are many older than Hulk that are still operating. The only two scenarios that I can come up with that make any sense is they are reusing part of it and theres no way to resell part of a coaster, or they are changing manufacturers. If the track on 75 was indeed for Hulk, its a different manufacturer, because there has not been any purple and green track at the plant at Ohio. They are still building Valravn track I believe. But to switch manufacturers and have them reuse the existing poles and footers would be unprecedented, so I highly doubt that. If they aren't reusing stuff and dong a completely new coaster, I'm not sure if they have time to get it done but summer. That means they must be re-using part of the existing track. If thats the case, We can scrub the "wider track" scenario. Maybe this is just a redesign on part of the ride and only that track will be removed?

This is just screwing with my head.

Could a reworking of the second portion of the ride potentially open up some further space back there for another attraction (ie if Storm Force went too)? Not sure what the space situation is like back there.

Could a reworking of the second portion of the ride potentially open up some further space back there for another attraction (ie if Storm Force went too)? Not sure what the space situation is like back there.

You might be on to something. If they take out the section from the midcourse to the break run, and redesigned that to go more towards the lagoon and lighthouse, it opens quite a bit of room. I did a quick rough sketch moving it and making a fake new layout:

21653007298_f928ba67fc_b.jpg

Take the green track out, put some kind of new layout where the purple is. That opens the yellow area(assuming the removal of storm force) for the Avengers ride or whatever. Thats about 80,000 SQ Ft marked off there. they could still preserve that turn around and the backstage buildings if necessary. If those buildings by doom aren't necessary, it opens up even more if they really wanted to go overboard.

Now does anyone know exactly which areas of track they are removing? I can't tell from the pictures.

So all I've heard so far is, it will be more smooth and quiet, the theme will match more along the lines of the movie Hulk and supposedly there is a section when waiting in line, that you could look in a mirror and look like you're transforming yourself into the Hulk.

Being that the Hulk was a first of its kind type of ride, I would expect that B&Ms calculations could have been somewhat off in terms of fatigue life but only for the first half of the ride. They can set the exit speed into the back half of the ride with more control using the mid course brake run, and that back section should last just as long as any other ride. It looks like they have been removing the back half though. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, Space Mountain was retracked completely in 2009. The article says rails, but I've seen pictures and they mean the track including the rails. Support structure was patched as necessary as far as I remember.
Source: Space Mountain: Closing for refurbishment - Orlando Sentinel

You might be on to something. If they take out the section from the midcourse to the break run, and redesigned that to go more towards the lagoon and lighthouse, it opens quite a bit of room. I did a quick rough sketch moving it and making a fake new layout:

That's a neat idea. Would be totally unprecedented, but there's no reason it technically couldn't happen, given that B&M will have all the force/speed data for the layout so would be able to 'chop' it wherever Universal wanted them to and design an alternative layout which would work after that point.

It seems from the few photos so far that the track being removed has been in the rear portion, but I'll have to go and look again to try and figure out if it was before or after the MCBR. One thing is for certain: if they start working on the front portion of the ride, it should become fairly apparent rather quickly :lol:

Edit - The photo below (not sure who to credit, sorry) shows the removal of the final turn into the brakes at the end of the ride. It's the part of the final helix which wraps around the drop off the MCBR.

12036640_963472710341807_8179231814418555746_n.jpg

Last edited:

21653007298_f928ba67fc_b.jpg

Take the green track out, put some kind of new layout where the purple is. That opens the yellow area(assuming the removal of storm force) for the Avengers ride or whatever. Thats about 80,000 SQ Ft marked off there. they could still preserve that turn around and the backstage buildings if necessary. If those buildings by doom aren't necessary, it opens up even more if they really wanted to go overboard.

Now does anyone know exactly which areas of track they are removing? I can't tell from the pictures.

I'd get rid of Doom too and do something with that space...for a landlocked park that potentially opens a space for 2 massive new marvel attractions :)

Personally I think the second half of the ride is very forgettable...whereas coasters like Kumba and Kraken maintain my interest until the very end.

Last edited:
Also, Space Mountain was retracked completely in 2009. The article says rails, but I've seen pictures and they mean the track including the rails. Support structure was patched as necessary as far as I remember.
Source: Space Mountain: Closing for refurbishment - Orlando Sentinel
Absolutely untrue the SM was *completely* retracked. If you ever go through with the lights on, you'll see there are spray paint marks along the track for parts that were supposed to be removed and weren't. There are pics online showing what I describe.

Absolutely untrue the SM was *completely* retracked. If you ever go through with the lights on, you'll see there are spray paint marks along the track for parts that were supposed to be removed and weren't. There are pics online showing what I describe.

Yup.

They did fix up the track, but they didn't give it the DL treatment that many hoped for. It was a quick fix when it needed to be an overhaul.

I saw someone mention that it is going to be quieter. I was thinking maybe quieter is a big part of this, since you will easily be able to hear it roaring from CB, RP, and soon to be SF. I love hearing the Hulk roar but am not quite as big a fan when its early in the morning and I want to sleep in.

From what we have been told, the entire track is being replaced, however don't expect it anytime soon, it's still awaiting production, the majority of the time will be retheming, expect more waterfall, a neat hulk smash water effect (think of a hulk falling from the sky) and an extension to the rear of the loading building, the actual load station will be pushed back. Also talked about is "tron" like light trails behind each train as it passes on the track which fade before the next one reaches it.

This is just a rumour but at one point back in May, there was talk of multiple different ride launches, or different reasons for the hulk accelerating up the launch hill, one of which included "chasing" the train in front of it. Or maybe Tony stark has riled him up, or someone has been taken hostage, or even the classic gamma radiation leak.

The theming will be immense on this ride, the stagnant water ponds below will be completely transformed.

Colors ordered (may not be used) by universal several weeks ago are, Crimson, light grey, dark grey, swamp green and purple

I will say no more

Is there a chance that the second half of the ride may be modified and you go into a show building now? Such as Hulk crashing into his labs, and as you twist through you feel the illusion of crashing through walls and rampaging like the Hulk? Maybe they could actually implement a Hulk AA into here?

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I have a crazy thought. Does anyone see this not being as intense as the original? Maybe 1-2 inversions and that’s it? If they do in fact add an impressive AA and other cool effects, I would have to imagine they would want this attraction accessible to more than just thrill-junkies with a strong stomach! Maybe not, just a thought!

I have a crazy thought. Does anyone see this not being as intense as the original? Maybe 1-2 inversions and that’s it? If they do in fact add an impressive AA and other cool effects, I would have to imagine they would want this attraction accessible to more than just thrill-junkies with a strong stomach! Maybe not, just a thought!

I'm willing to bet the track layout will NOT change. In order to do that they'd have to replant footers and adjust backstage areas, something outside of the 9 month refurb window.

Reactions: HalfGlass