Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Good observation, I didn't catch that. Though I still have a hard time believing that the i-beams are temporary and just for testing. Maybe those supports will get some themingood placed over them. Special lighting effects that wouldn't work with a round support? Just speculating as the this point.

I don't buy that either. I would say maybe the building may be getting extended to that part of the ride for lockers or whatever but there's now I beams being used at the footers in the water so I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Those definitely aren't "test" supports, as the bolt pattern matches the I-beams, and those are determined when you pour the footer.
Agreed. If you watch the Mako Madness video, you can see that there is already an I-beam support with track attached to it. The only things they seem to have in common is that they're being used on the front portion of the ride near the lagoon, and they're all relatively short supports.

Those definitely aren't "test" supports, as the bolt pattern matches the I-beams, and those are determined when you pour the footer.
I didn't think the whole "test" supports idea was an option either, But being that they are by water does make sense. Even the ones by the exit of the first trench where there's the mist.
(Disneyhead quoted)

Reactions: Scott W.
Agreed. If you watch the Mako Madness video, you can see that there is already an I-beam support with track attached to it. The only things they seem to have in common is that they're being used on the front portion of the ride near the lagoon, and they're all relatively short supports.

None of it seems consistent as to why they're being used as certain parts and not others. I'm sure there is a very simple reason why but for the time being it seems a bit bizarre.

An effect of some kind?

It would certainly be a lot easier to attach something to a flat surface than a curved surface.

Throwing out a wild idea, the piece of track could have trim brakes because of a faster launch. I'm still holding onto something being slightly different track wise.

There is not any flex in a I-beam of that size and height.Its like a extension of the footer(not moveable at all). Where round supports move quite a bit the higher they go.(RRR) So the next piece will be that amount shorter which means less flex and so on. The need for them could be added weight of the trains and or the amount of forces to the supports.

I am going to hold the thought that the i-beam is temporary. Perhaps that particular support arrived incorrectly sized or damaged. Is this beam in the location leading into the loop before entering the tunnel. I am surprised no one has found a photo of the original support.

I am going to hold the thought that the i-beam is temporary. Perhaps that particular support arrived incorrectly sized or damaged. Is this beam in the location leading into the loop before entering the tunnel. I am surprised no one has found a photo of the original support.

Looking at old photos, I don't see any beams but a small detail I noticed today. The part that connects the support to the track at the loops has a cylinder going perpendicular to the support.

DSC09575d90ba.jpg

Difference in support.

rEjQOLq.jpg

cc9ez2pxeaat37t-jpg.1630

Last edited:
Reactions: Teebin
Is it the supports to the right?(round ones)

Attachments

• park-guest-riding-the-incredible-hulk-roller-coaster-in-marvel-super-DW9W0A.jpg
    park-guest-riding-the-incredible-hulk-roller-coaster-in-marvel-super-DW9W0A.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 27
  • park-guest-riding-the-incredible-hulk-roller-coaster-in-marvel-super-DW9W0A.jpg
    park-guest-riding-the-incredible-hulk-roller-coaster-in-marvel-super-DW9W0A.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Scott W.
^ Thanks for the photos. I believe it is the beam on the far left and not the one on the right. The reason is, that the right one is in the lagoon. The left one is on the water-platform, much like the current i-beams.

Last edited:
I have also looked at the supports of the other B&M Dive coasters in the States. All of them have this I-Beam support in nearly identical locations to Valravn. So that means that B&M has been using this type of support for a wile now, but only on the Dive Coasters till now. I do believe that the weight has something to do with the design change as well as the stress loads because of there they tend to be located on other B&M coasters.

I would hazard a guess and say this is just economics. I beams are cheaper than round tubes, but round tubes are better for longer columns as they aren't as effected by slenderness. I imagine there's a certain length of column where it's more economical to use tube supports, but if the support needs to be shorter than that it's worth just using I Beams.

5720"]I would hazard a guess and say this is just economics. I beams are cheaper than round tubes, but round tubes are better for longer columns as they aren't as effected by slenderness. I imagine there's a certain length of column where it's more economical to use tube supports, but if the support needs to be shorter than that it's worth just using I Beams.[/QUOTE]
If I beams are stronger this would breathe life into the rumor that stress cracks were popping up in areas around the coaster. They'll never tell though.

Reactions: UniversalCityFL
Not stronger, weaker in fact when it comes to longer columns because they're not great in bending around their weaker axis.

Not stronger, weaker in fact when it comes to longer columns because they're not great in bending around their weaker axis.
Well then we'll just have to wait and see what logic universal is wrapping around this one because I don't get it.