Journey of Water – Inspired by Moana | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Journey of Water – Inspired by Moana

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sorry this water playground has a virtual queue?

What are we even doing here
I’ve said this before but it’s worth reiterating why this happens…

When a new attraction opens, there’s near daily guest satisfaction reporting that goes all the way up the chain. Virtual queue for RotR was a necessity for reliability etc. but another consequence of virtual queue is that nobody is waiting the typical 2-3 hours that a new attraction would bring in. Obviously the only people rating the ride are the ones who go on it, and all of those people aren’t having to wait that long to do so, which results in inflated satisfaction scores since people generally do a price value-ish approach when responding to surveys. Virtual queue on Moana, obviously overkill but will still result in higher ratings in those reports.

I’ve said this before but it’s worth reiterating why this happens…

When a new attraction opens, there’s near daily guest satisfaction reporting that goes all the way up the chain. Virtual queue for RotR was a necessity for reliability etc. but another consequence of virtual queue is that nobody is waiting the typical 2-3 hours that a new attraction would bring in. Obviously the only people rating the ride are the ones who go on it, and all of those people aren’t having to wait that long to do so, which results in inflated satisfaction scores since people generally do a price value-ish approach when responding to surveys. Virtual queue on Moana, obviously overkill but will still result in higher ratings in those reports.
I bet designing something that required *no line whatsoever* would also score very highly

Reactions: SeventyOne
I bet designing something that required *no line whatsoever* would also score very highly
If there’s no metering of the entrance and it’s shoulder to shoulder inside and it’s a pain to read the signs or see the interactive stuff, that will definitely rate lower than a capped capacity experience. The people left grumbling outside by that don’t get to take the survey and VL will definitely fluff the numbers on those who do.

I’m not ascribing an opinion to whether it’s right or wrong, just saying why it’s a drug they don’t want to unhook from.

If there’s no metering of the entrance and it’s shoulder to shoulder inside and it’s a pain to read the signs or see the interactive stuff, that will definitely rate lower than a capped capacity experience. The people left grumbling outside by that don’t get to take the survey and VL will definitely fluff the numbers on those who do.

I’m not ascribing an opinion to whether it’s right or wrong, just saying why it’s a drug they don’t want to unhook from.
Like come on now this is no brainer regardless of whether you think this attraction its a worth a queue or not. This isn’t Six Flags but Disney where they can open a playground and it would be popular.

Disney's conception of this is clearly as a walk-through attraction, with a distinct beginning, middle, and end to the experience that is at least somewhat trying to fit into Epcot.

This isn't just the Casey Jr. Splash 'N Soak.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Disney's conception of this is clearly as a walk-through attraction, with a distinct beginning, middle, and end to the experience that is at least somewhat trying to fit into Epcot.

This isn't just the Casey Jr. Splash 'N Soak.
I recognize what their plan was with it, but to paraphrase a good movie “But it’s a stupid *** plan”

• Haha
I recognize what their plan was with it, but to paraphrase a good movie “But it’s a stupid *** plan”
I mean... maybe?

I appreciate that they tried to do something in a vague "edutainment" style, and I don't think that could be accomplished with a simple splash pad.

Put another way, I'll walk through this when I'm next at Epcot, but I wouldn't go near it if it were just a splash pad.

I mean... maybe?

I appreciate that they tried to do something in a vague "edutainment" style, and I don't think that could be accomplished with a simple splash pad.
They could have done all the same edutainment setups without forcing you to go one way.

It could have been an area you hit the stations at whatever order you did them. The “edutainment” would have still been picked up by the parents and older kids, the younger kids would have still gotten to play in the water, except you wouldn’t need an inane queue to get into a water play area

They could have done all the same edutainment setups without forcing you to go one way.

It could have been an area you hit the stations at whatever order you did them. The “edutainment” would have still been picked up by the parents and older kids, the younger kids would have still gotten to play in the water, except you wouldn’t need an inane queue to get into a water play area
Take a deep breath. The opening weekend onslaught of bloggers and obsessives will die down quickly and you’ll get your chance to walk through the children’s playground uninterrupted.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Did this yesterday, you could just walk in. No need to get flustered by having to wait in a line/boarding group.

With that said it's pretty much a nicer-looking Imagination pavilion jumping fountain setup with more rockwork. It's nice, and definitely has a purpose to exist in a theme park... but it's in the wrong one lol. I think the idea of a water cycle-based attraction is much more aligned with something over at DAK and its conservation theme.

Half-joking predictions:
  • Five Two years from now this will be on YouTube on dozens of YouTube clickbait list of "underrated attractions," "hidden gems," and "worst attractions/biggest blunders" simultaneously.
  • In a year or so, Genie+ will be recommending this to absolutely everyone as "No wait time!" while Frozen has a two hour line because Test Track is closed.
  • Disney will do a Behind the Attraction about this that makes it look better than it really is.
  • When activist investors take over, Disney will raise ticket prices.
I just don't think this will be a highly rated attraction long term. While it fits the theme, it's just sort of "there". I agree with UniversalRBLX that this is a vibey thing that would be better in Animal Kingdom and doesn't really work that well thematically in a futurist park.

It would work best in Adventureland as the queue to a Moana boat ride.

Baffles me they haven't put together a Moana E-ticket for Adventureland. Fits like a glove and helps extricate some of the remaining colonialist roots of the area in a manner that isn't cloying.

Perhaps the issue is you're basically forced to commit to a water-based attraction when you have Pirates of the Caribbean next door as the "low thrill" offering and Tiana a short walk away as the more intense experience. You even have Jungle Cruise as the "no thrill" water-based operation, so what's left for Moana?

Okay, maybe I talked myself out of my own idea.

Baffles me they haven't put together a Moana E-ticket for Adventureland. Fits like a glove and helps extricate some of the remaining colonialist roots of the area in a manner that isn't cloying.

Perhaps the issue is you're basically forced to commit to a water-based attraction when you have Pirates of the Caribbean next door as the "low thrill" offering and Tiana a short walk away as the more intense experience. You even have Jungle Cruise as the "no thrill" water-based operation, so what's left for Moana?

Okay, maybe I talked myself out of my own idea.
Does any Adventureland has room?

I always feel like Adventureland at most parks...gets screwed. It's always near the Hub and they never leave room for new rides....when we have TONS of perfect rides for Adventureland but they never leave room for more rides to be added later

Does any Adventureland has room?

I always feel like Adventureland at most parks...gets screwed. It's always near the Hub and they never leave room for new rides....when we have TONS of perfect rides for Adventureland but they never leave room for more rides to be added later

This may have changed over the years, but I'm under the impression that Magic Kingdom's Adventureland does have an expansion pad if they get creative. Disneyland's used theirs (with some creative maneuvering) when they built Indiana Jones Adventure.

With all that said, the fountains here look nice (if a bit redundant), but the project leaves a sour taste in my mouth given how long it took to build as well as the absurd opening strategy.

This may have changed over the years, but I'm under the impression that Magic Kingdom's Adventureland does have an expansion pad if they get creative. Disneyland's used theirs (with some creative maneuvering) when they built Indiana Jones Adventure.

With all that said, the fountains here look nice (if a bit redundant), but the project leaves a sour taste in my mouth given how long it took to build as well as the absurd opening strategy.
Looking at google maps, their might be room for something like Moana but....my point is most Adventurelands just....for some reason they alwayssss put into a corner with no room to grow

I understand the frustrations with the timeline, I think its a joke how long this attraction and the Adventureland tree house has taken

I like the thought process here, but I think it becomes far less baffling when you consider that Disney has more or less thrown thematic consistency out of the window, hence California Adventure becoming a Pixar park. For that reason, putting Moana into the dead center of Epcot for no particular reason lines up with their recent vision and thus makes perfect sense. ;)

I'm hardly a thematic purist myself, but the placement of this whole thing does raise my eyebrow slightly.

I like the thought process here, but I think it becomes far less baffling when you consider that Disney has more or less thrown thematic consistency out of the window, hence California Adventure becoming a Pixar park. For that reason, putting Moana into the dead center of Epcot for no particular reason lines up with their recent vision and thus makes perfect sense. ;)

I'm hardly a thematic purist myself, but the placement of this whole thing does raise my eyebrow slightly.

The entrance itself is also pretty odd since it faces the Coral Reef restaurant, which once the hub reopens, will become a dead end, with a sliver of a pathway connecting to the hub directly.

Kinda feels like the caverns at Volcano Bay with beating drums in the background lol