Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Journey to Atlantis

While I agree they should try to maintain it or improve it, THEY didn't build it, Busch Entertainment did nearly 20 years ago. Since then the company has changed hands and priorities. A lot of the things they used to do was because they had all that AB money and the Busch Family spent money on the parks because they were good for their brand overall. The parks made money, but it wasn't a priority (or a necessity) for them to squeeze out every last dollar to keep investors happy. This is a different business than it used to be and spending priorities have to change. If they sunk tens of thousands of dollars into fixing what's wrong with it they wouldn't see much ROI. It just has to be a flume with some theme elements and 99% of the public will ride it on a hot day.
Sad to say, you are right

I wonder what it would look like if they redid the interior and re-marketed as the NEW Journey to Atlantis....who knows

I wonder what it would look like if they redid the interior and re-marketed as the NEW Journey to Atlantis....who knows

They're never going to. I understand why they did what they did, but it's still bewildering. That entire dark ride stretch is incredibly boring and dull now, but like somebody said above... it's a flume ride, so that's what makes it worth keeping despite. As long as they keep the A/C flowing in that show building I highly doubt many will care in management.

Still a bummer tho.

It is odd that they would have invested in refurbishing this ride, put in all new sensors and now it works worse than before. I am hoping that maybe they will do some more work on it once Kraken is done.
Just a guess, but maybe with the sale of the Blackstone stock imminent, they weren't about to make any expenditures over and above the norm, to keep the bottom line respectable....As I said before, hopefully the new people coming in will be revisiting this and other matters.

For what it's worth, Screamscape is reporting that they are still planning on installing new story elements that tie the attraction to Kraken.
This is what I originally heard for the 2 new/updated effects I mentioned earlier.

Maybe this current set-up is temporary? It does use recycled music when SWO has been doing an original score for all of their new attractions. This is all hopesthough.

For what it's worth, Screamscape is reporting that they are still planning on installing new story elements that tie the attraction to Kraken.
At this point some Musion and projection effects would be much appreciated...Or perhaps they are renaiming it to the Great Barrier Reef, as it is dead and lifeless due to climate change....Wow, Sea World is more meta than I thought they were

Well, finally rode JTA now that is refurbished, and it is sad indeed, as there really are almost no effects. We also got stuck at the bottom of the lifthill inside, about 10 minutes at most. Does not seem anything is changed to the track at the end, it does seem though that the carriages have been refurbished and have new wheels. The first drop felt more smooth as well because of this. For the rest, really hope something will change.

I'll bet SeaWorld management personnel jumped up & high fived when they heard the Blackstone sale news. They probably had all kinds of cool ideas they couldn't wait to implement.

Alright, per Morrow...... The refurb was maintenance for track, not show. The ride will go down again to tie into story of Kraken and will be announced later this year. They basically put the ride in a quasi-stand-by mode.
I get it, the ark has very few rides, closing JTA and possibly Kraken at the same time would be a very bad idea

Why would they take out the special effects then wait to close it until the end of the year?

Oh, I forgot to mention, Disco/Emo Sea Witch. It's too bad that they couldn't understand their competitor's problems......