Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 258 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The third park land acquisition, end of 2015. Dreamworks, spring, and summer 2016. Those two in conjunction created re evaluations of projects & timelines.

If anything changed the plans, it will be the third park land acquisition then. This is relatively recent chatter.

Also, of significance to Universal: 2018 is Jurassic Park's 25th anniversary.

I'm hopeful these plans stick - but not entirely optimistic. Jurassic is a weird property where Universal doesn't have full ownership (Amblin, for instance) nor claim to profits, and in the past it's made them hesitant about putting big money into it (it's also not as fan-centric as something like Harry Potter where the reward outweighs the 'risk')

If anything changed the plans, it will be the third park land acquisition then. This is relatively recent chatter.

I'm hopeful these plans stick - but not entirely optimistic. Jurassic is a weird property where Universal doesn't have full ownership (Amblin, for instance) nor claim to profits, and in the past it's made them hesitant about putting big money into it (it's also not as fan-centric as something like Harry Potter where the reward outweighs the 'risk')
Most of Universal's stuff they pay license fees for anyway. But they've always driven a "hard bargain" in negotiations, that's the MCA/Universal way, and generally pay lower percentages than others. Example: When they were negotiating with Warner for Warner cartoon and DC rights for what would evolve into IOA, they were only $70,000 apart. Warner wouldn't come down any further so they just told Warner to shove it. In the meantime they negotiated that sweetheart deal with Marvel in case DC fell through, and got the rights for a song. MCA/Universal originated "The Art of the Deal". They expanded Japan Jurassic Park with a new attraction & did the Raptor M&G in Orlando, so I doubt rights fees would come into major play with Orlando. It's probably more that they have so much on the table, they can only do so much in the time frame.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
Most of Universal's stuff they pay license fees for anyway. But they've always driven a "hard bargain" in negotiations, that's the MCA/Universal way, and generally pay lower percentages than others. Example: When they were negotiating with Warner for Warner cartoon and DC rights for what would evolve into IOA, they were only $70,000 apart. Warner wouldn't come down any further so they just told Warner to shove it. In the meantime they negotiated that sweetheart deal with Marvel in case DC fell through, and got the rights for a song. MCA/Universal originated "The Art of the Deal". They expanded Japan Jurassic Park with a new attraction & did the Raptor M&G in Orlando, so I doubt rights fees would come into major play with Orlando. It's probably more that they have so much on the table, they can only do so much in the time frame.

Makes sense.

I just know Universal Pictures tends to be a little less spendy on Jurassic projects, than say, F&F or the new Monsters universe due to the cut of profits and all that stuff. It's quite possible though that is all divorced enough from the parks though.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
I've heard talk of a JPRA revamp/remix (not just a touch up) from a genuine source, but I dunno how far along it is or if it's just blue-sky talk. I do believe the idea is/was to try to have it done by the time Jurassic World 2 hits theaters (June 2018), but I'm not sure how likely that part is.

Now this part is speculation of my own, but my guess is if this does happen they will get Creature Technology Company for the AA's, who did the AA on Kong and Jurassic World the Exhibition.

Anyhow, I know most on this site are more connected to the park side of things than myself, so I'm curious if anyone can corroborate this.
761162hs2vjhp1t5.gif

JP is huge. Do it Universal.

The insane - and basically unforeseen - box office success of JURASSIC WORLD should have surely woken Universal up to the fact that the franchise still has a lot of life left to it, and that theme park investment in the property would likely carry very little risk.

As such, I want to believe that it's only a matter of time before there's some movement on JP/JW stuff, even if only just a River Adventure refresh.

The insane - and basically unforeseen - box office success of JURASSIC WORLD should have surely woken Universal up to the fact that the franchise still has a lot of life left to it, and that theme park investment in the property would likely carry very little risk.

As such, I want to believe that it's only a matter of time before there's some movement on JP/JW stuff, even if only just a River Adventure refresh.
Yep. Partial proof is how insanely popular that little Raptor M&G is. Always a long line.

quit it with ruining the book, spoiler alert much?!

lol - jk though.. information is never bad

761162hs2vjhp1t5.gif

JP is huge. Do it Universal.

stealing that gif, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.