Lightyear (Pixar) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Lightyear (Pixar)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Except they already had an awesome Buzz Lightyear show that came out in the late 90’s/early 00’s: Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. The only true Buzz Lightyear standalone movie and show.

All they have to do is put it up on D+
I watched the HECK out of that too! I remember when they did a promo at McD's back in the day

Good times

Reactions: Freak
Dinosaurs Toss ‘Lightyear’ Out Of Orbit At Weekend Box Office As ‘Jurassic World Dominion’ Feasts On $68M+ 4-Day – Sunday AM Update

$51 million is definitely not what they were expecting to get, but what's more concerning is the worldwide number, since that was only $85.6 million...off a $135 million estimate.

Meanwhile, Minions 2 comes out in a couple weeks on 4th of July weekend. The numbers that film pulls will probably give the clearest insight on if inflation really was a factor here, or if Lightyear was just not it.

You guys forget the biggest thing.....there were a lot of people protesting because there was a lesbian mixed race couple in the movie. Social issues are hot right now. I think that was the major issue with Mommy groups doing their best to get people to say Disney not doing what's right.

You guys forget the biggest thing.....there were a lot of people protesting because there was a lesbian mixed race couple in the movie.

Overblown manufactured outrage from the usual suspects isn't the big thing they want you to think it is. It's on the same level of the folks who complained about Turning Red mentioning periods/pads, nothing but a drop in the bucket.

...because those countries are against equal rights. This happens with a ton of movies. People are just making a big deal about it with Lightyear because it's a "kids movie" and the "Woke Disney" crowd are making it seem like a much bigger thing than it is.
Right, your post said Twitter outrage about that issue isn’t real life but it literally impacted the real life numbers for the movie.

Right, your post said Twitter outrage about that issue isn’t real life but it literally impacted the real life numbers for the movie.
Because movies get banned in countries all the time and still do fine. The countries it got banned in wouldn't have provided a significant boost to the box office anyway. The only country that would've had a major impact is China, but China barely takes any American movies these days, especially Disney movies. The last Disney movie to get a China release I think might have been Free Guy. Spider-Man: NWH didn't get a Chinese release date and it almost made $2B. Movies can do plenty fine without certain countries as long as people actually care to see them.

I go see most Pixar movies in theaters and didn't see this one because I didn't really care about it, and, biggest of all and something I think we're forgetting, it'll be on D+ in 45 days from release. Many people realize this by now and may just be skipping out on Disney theatrical movies entirely now, waiting for them to come to the streamer.

Bottom line, there's a combination of a lot of factors, biggest of all being that it's just not something that audiences deem worth spending the money on based on the promotion.

Dinosaurs Toss ‘Lightyear’ Out Of Orbit At Weekend Box Office As ‘Jurassic World Dominion’ Feasts On $68M+ 4-Day – Sunday AM Update

$51 million is definitely not what they were expecting to get, but what's more concerning is the worldwide number, since that was only $85.6 million...off a $135 million estimate.

Meanwhile, Minions 2 comes out in a couple weeks on 4th of July weekend. The numbers that film pulls will probably give the clearest insight on if inflation really was a factor here, or if Lightyear was just not it.
Which is crazy cause JW was absolutely dreadful

I'm eager to see the Minions 2 numbers as it's kind of in the same boat as Lightyear...kinda...A spinoff from a successful franchise

Which is crazy cause JW was absolutely dreadful

I'm eager to see the Minions 2 numbers as it's kind of in the same boat as Lightyear...kinda...A spinoff from a successful franchise
I feel like Universal has done a pretty good job at marketing Minions 2 to focus in on Gru being a part of the main cast again unlike the first Minions.

I think Disney just really dropped the ball on the Lightyear’s marketing.

Reactions: shiekra38
We’re ignoring the fact that consumers are now used to seeing Pixar films at home now, and this never looked like a top 5 Pixar film, so why would people go to theatres?
Good point. A downside of debuting so many films on Disney plus is that Disney fans get acclimated to releases being there instead of in theaters, plus it can confuse the general public that
isn't familiar with Disney new release strategies.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Good point. A downside of debuting so many films on Disney plus is that Disney fans get acclimated to releases being there instead of in theaters, plus it can confuse the general public that
isn't familiar with Disney new release strategies.
People used to think going streaming meant poor quality. Considering the D+ Pixar Releases have been all great, maybe people expected less with a theatrical run.

Also haven't America's been having less kids for like...a while now

Along with most families being much poorer then the previous generation, inflation and meh word of mouth.

I don't think Twitter is real...but I do see lots of people online saying they are done with Disney Politics and we literally have the Don't Say Gay stuff going on many parents seem to be anti certain view points and while im not saying that its a huge number of people...it might be enough with other factors to slow down the money on certain movies and shows. Like I doubt LQBGT+ Families went specifically to see this or Dr Strange because it had same sex parts in, but plenty of people are against it including whole countries. Like I said I doubt it cost them much but along with all thew other factors just didn't help and that really sucks where we are

Or, you know, the premise wasn’t that interesting.
A factor for sure, no one is arguing that

But we have like a million things happening in the real world also affecting this and people can point to top gun and say why is this film killing it

No politics's (which is a selling point to at least the older people in my life), great reviews/word of mouth, nostalgia and aimed at older people (boomers hold most the money in the US)

Buzz has lots of little crap against it like you said its a premise on one wanted.....no Tim Allen is upsetting to some people...Articles only talking about the politics of the one scene....less kids in the USA, inflation and bad reviews/bad word of mouth

I'm sure Dan M video will also talk about other reasons this film failed to reach what it should have made....but just listing things I have seen online