Lionsgate World Resort | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wow just wow. Most of you dont even live here lol. Smh

The Orlando area changes so quickly it's easy to loose track. Even if you live in, say, downtown, if you only come up that way once a year--as is common--you don't realize how much it has changed.

Not just I-Drive--for example, in the past 15 years or so MetroWest went from premier new development to crime-ridden ghetto to back to a fairly nice middle class area, at least in places. Meanwhile, in 10 years, the area around S.R. 27 has turned from orange groves into empty tourist rentals into a Cast Member bedroom community. This is still a young, transient city. The character of different neighborhoods is still very much in flux.

He refused funding because it would go from the Airport to the Convention Center to Disney to Tampa, but Disney did not want to provide a portion of the funding. Why should the taxpayers have to cover something that will primarily function as a private chariot to Disney from both Tampa airport and Orlando Airport?
Actually, the high-speed rail was fully funded by the federal government and the to-be builders/operators even agreed to cover any cost overruns. So not a penny from local taxes, Disney, etc.

It also happened to be the most ready high-speed corridor in the nation, with all of the right-of-way already secured and plans already developed. Sadly the money got shifted to other projects that weren't ready or projected to have as much ridership.

Actually, the high-speed rail was fully funded by the federal government and the to-be builders/operators even agreed to cover any cost overruns. So not a penny from local taxes, Disney, etc.

It also happened to be the most ready high-speed corridor in the nation, with all of the right-of-way already secured and plans already developed. Sadly the money got shifted to other projects that weren't ready or projected to have as much ridership.

This. Taxpayers were not going to be funding it. Scott said that he was afraid of "overruns" but he had no proof that there would be and people stepped up that would pay them. He flat out didn't want to take federal money because the dems were the ones handing out the money. The money was going to go to this project whether it went to Orlando or somewhere else. So there was no harm in taking it, it wasn't taking away money from another program.

The Orlando area changes so quickly it's easy to loose track. Even if you live in, say, downtown, if you only come up that way once a year--as is common--you don't realize how much it has changed.

Not just I-Drive--for example, in the past 15 years or so MetroWest went from premier new development to crime-ridden ghetto to back to a fairly nice middle class area, at least in places. Meanwhile, in 10 years, the area around S.R. 27 has turned from orange groves into empty tourist rentals into a Cast Member bedroom community. This is still a young, transient city. The character of different neighborhoods is still very much in flux.

I agree. That was my point in short. I've watched John Young Parkway, Universal Blvd become full roads. I've seen 4 of thew seven malls get built. I worked in Shingle Creek and Hyatt (Peabody Expansion) as it was built. It amazes me how quickly Orlando has changed. Here is the kicker, I'm only 24 but that's how quickly Orlando has re-imaged and continues to do so.. These people on here talk as though they know why International Drive isn't as popular and majority of them are so off so in my head I'm just like WOW lol.

I love Orlando. It's a weird place to live say from 15-20 years ago but it's amazing to be apart of the History of the city rather than go to a museum and view it.

All the former landmarks and attractions on International and 192, will be apart of me, not just a viewing on a photo or museum. To many people and visitors which they keep coming back, I drive hasn't failed. it along with downtown has had to re-brand itself to keep up before it completely flunks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
I agree. That was my point in short. I've watched John Young Parkway, Universal Blvd become full roads. I've seen 4 of thew seven malls get built. I worked in Shingle Creek and Hyatt (Peabody Expansion) as it was built. It amazes me how quickly Orlando has changed. Here is the kicker, I'm only 24 but that's how quickly Orlando has re-imaged and continues to do so.. These people on here talk as though they know why International Drive isn't as popular and majority of them are so off so in my head I'm just like WOW lol.

I love Orlando. It's a weird place to live say from 15-20 years ago but it's amazing to be apart of the History of the city rather than go to a museum and view it.

All the former landmarks and attractions on International and 192, will be apart of me, not just a viewing on a photo or museum. To many people and visitors which they keep coming back, I drive hasn't failed. it along with downtown has had to re-brand itself to keep up before it completely flunks.
And we were speaking of Idrive failing in another thread. In my post I should clarify. I don't know but I took it as Idrive failing as trying to be a destination like Disney or Universal is. You can make an argument that it failed from that standpoint if that in fact is what I drive was trying to become.

I can see it now!
"I-Drive: The Resort Where You Can Get Stabbed or Carjacked After 7 PM"
lol. But no if tourist didn't make themselves so vulnerable, I think they would be okay.. Most of the time they have tons of cash and that is a target. There are a lot of low paying jobs in Orlando on I drive and from living in the neighborhoods here, I know there are people who have no problem taking what you own away from you be it you put it in the open. And I know it's like "They're tourist though". Key to being a tourist, a SAFE tourist, is to be on guard like you were at home in your own city. Vacation and visitations mean relax yes. They don't mean relax your alertness for you and your family.

lol. But no if tourist didn't make themselves so vulnerable, I think they would be okay.. Most of the time they have tons of cash and that is a target. There are a lot of low paying jobs in Orlando on I drive and from living in the neighborhoods here, I know there are people who have no problem taking what you own away from you be it you put it in the open. And I know it's like "They're tourist though". Key to being a tourist, a SAFE tourist, is to be on guard like you were at home in your own city. Vacation and visitations mean relax yes. They don't mean relax your alertness for you and your family.

Orlando is nothing compare to other major international cities. Parts of Paris, London, Prague, etc can be very unsafe places. And especially compared to the US crime capital you have down the road called Miami!

That said, I don't let my guard down where ever in the world I visit.

Orlando is nothing compare to other major international cities. Parts of Paris, London, Prague, etc can be very unsafe places. And especially compared to the US crime capital you have down the road called Miami!

That said, I don't let my guard down where ever in the world I visit.

Wait, what? What exactly makes you think Miami is full of crime to be a "Crime Capital"? :lol:

Wait, what? What exactly makes you think Miami is full of crime to be a "Crime Capital"? :lol:
I'm not saying I back that statement as gospel, but the only two times i've been there (total of 4 days), I got my phone stolen at a McDonald's and was defrauded at a gas station :lol:

I'm not saying I back that statement as gospel, but the only two times i've been there (total of 4 days), I got my phone stolen at a McDonald's and was defrauded at a gas station :lol:

Well that's just bad luck. :lol:

I know Miami gets this stigma of drugs and stuff because of Scareface and the 80's, but it's hardly a Crime Capital nowadays. I mean, sure there is crime - especially in specific areas - but West Palm has a worse record than us in crime these days. As far as "crime capitals in the US", I'd look more to Detroit and St. Louis than anywhere in Florida.

Reactions: Hockeyman55

The stigma you mentioned in a later post is clearly imprinted on the minds of international folk lol

Tour Operators in the UK have even suggested that tourists don't venture away from the coast to the Downtown areas.

I've not been, so can't comment!

Reactions: SeventyOne
The stigma you mentioned in a later post is clearly imprinted on the minds of international folk lol

Tour Operators in the UK have even suggested that tourists don't venture away from the coast to the Downtown areas.

I've not been, so can't comment!

Fascinating...

Do they specifically say "Don't go cuz crime"?

I mean, Downtown is cool, but as a tourist I wouldn't wanna leave the beaches so I'd get why they say don't waste your time. :lol:

Fascinating...

Do they specifically say "Don't go cuz crime"?

I mean, Downtown is cool, but as a tourist I wouldn't wanna leave the beaches so I'd get why they say don't waste your time. :lol:

I am guessing they are just covering they asses as they don't know enough about what it's really like outside typical tourist traps.

If I was advising a foreigner where to visit in the UK, I'd tell them where to avoid, everywhere has a rough part.

Reactions: Brian G.
Well that's just bad luck. :lol:

I know Miami gets this stigma of drugs and stuff because of Scareface and the 80's, but it's hardly a Crime Capital nowadays. I mean, sure there is crime - especially in specific areas - but West Palm has a worse record than us in crime these days. As far as "crime capitals in the US", I'd look more to Detroit and St. Louis than anywhere in Florida.

Is Scareface an HHN house for next year?

I know we're sort of joking here, but if anything for next year, i'd bet the house on The Conjuring.

That's getting a bit off topic from the Pollercoaster though.